Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not usually one to join the rants let alone start one, but I am publicly starting this thread to gain the attention of Polaris and inspire change for General owners. I will not be happy until Polaris takes action for all General owners. I am sorry for the negative tone, but the design of the fastening system for the outer plastic on the General is unacceptable and of extremely poor design. There are many posts on this forum to support this, but some of the common issues on ALL Generals include:

1.) Door skin separation at top.
2.) Left and right rear box skins (where it says "General") loose.
3.) Skin on the back of bed box loose.
4.) Front and rear fender flares separating from body.
5.) Black insert on hood separating from the white part at the front.
6.) Covers under seat, over battery compartment and gas tank loose and won't stay shut.

The problem with the very poor Polaris design is the small plastic "tongue" that won't stay tucked in the hole that holds the plastic on. The end of the tongues are just too small to stay in place and come untucked.

This problem sits squarely with Polaris and their design. It should have never been released for sale with these problems and Polaris has to know this. Users on the forum are scratching their heads on how to fix stuff like holding the doors together. We should not have to fix the Polaris design flaw (I hope the engineers are listening).

I purchased my General Deluxe in December 2016 for $18,900 in West Virginia, and like most of us, put more than $2,600 of Polaris accessories on it. This is my second Polaris; the other was a 2014 Ranger XP-900. All my family own Polaris RZRs. I love the General and still might stay with Polaris for on my next machine, but in my opinion, they need to take care of this problem for all of us. It is embarrassing to go riding with non-Polaris owners who immediately find the plastic falling off your new machine. Oh and they paid less for theirs and have a multi year factory warranty.

My dealer gave me some crap that plastic is only warranted for 30 days. My General is now beyond it's 6 month warranty and I did not purchase an extended warranty. Still this is a design flaw that needs fixed. Heck it holds their name on the machine! So if they feel that is important, I think they should fix it.

So share this if you agree the plastic should not be falling off your $20K+ Polaris General. I plan to post on FB as well until they take notice and do something. They have to know - I think they are just waiting to see if we care.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Agreed! It pains me to see people comment "it's not a big deal" or "it doesn't bother me". That attitude is letting Polaris get away with this crap. I've got an in-depth write-up coming on the door skin issue. I just wonder where the blame really lies...R&D, Quality Control, Accounting or all of the above.

·
Registered
129 Posts
While your frustration is warranted, nothing will change as long as people keep buying Polaris products. Read the RZR forums sometime, Polaris has an incredible amount of known issues(catching fire, VR's, driveshafts, front diffs, reverse chains, intake designs, suspension bushings, ball joints, clutches, ect) but people keep buying new RZR's. Polaris has no reason to change anything they do.

You want to see quality plastic fitment, go look at a Viking or Wolverine. Very good intake designs, bulletproof drivetrain, marine grade wiring, quality fit and finish, ect. Unfortunately Yamaha doesn't build anything anybody wants.

I want a General 4 so bad but I also don't want to give Polaris another dollar. Your sending the message that their build quality is acceptable.

·
Registered
808 Posts
"Yamaha doesn't make anything anybody wants".
I wrote a 3 page letter regarding this and sent it to their product design center last week. When somebody makes a quality product to compete directly with the Polaris line they will either lose market share or up their quality. It's unfortunate that Yamaha got saddled with all the lawsuits from people who refused to accept responsibility for their own actions while the other manufacturers got to devote money to new products.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree that as long as people keep buying Polaris there is no great incentive for them to fix long known issues, like others I would like to Have a General but I won't buy one with all of the problems. I currently have a CanAn Commander XT That is three years old and I have not had any problems that amounted to much. I like several things about the General but Not until Polaris Fixes there Issues. If everyone that has a Polaris on order canceled the order I bet it would get some attention

·
Super Moderator
3,174 Posts
Well, I must have got a good one. I have no issues with mine what so ever! Diff is good, all plastics are tight, 400 miles thus far and not one issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. I wonder if it's because we have Red ones?

Seems most of the ones we're hearing from are the deluxe owners. Any Premium, or Base models guys having these problems? Just a thought.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Premium owner. At first I noticed a little separation on dr door but since have held together. I see the bad pics and posts. I do like the doors tho, they seal wayyyy better than any razr door I've seen. Keep water out good when hitting water holes. Was a reason I bought the General. I plan to add uppers too. I'm a fixer type anyway so if I have to disassemble door for uppers can see if outer skin needs tied in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same here. I wonder if it's because we have Red ones?

Seems most of the ones we're hearing from are the deluxe owners. Any Premium, or Base models guys having these problems? Just a thought.
You may be onto something there. Maybe it is just the Deluxe.

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Super Moderator
3,174 Posts
Same part numbers for plastics other than the color code. Could be a ratio thing...more Deluxes out there than Premium our Base models and I believe the Deluxe was released first.
Yeah, it looks like the Deluxe probably out numbers the other two by a lot.

One thing I thought of though. Since the Deluxe and Premium are painted, anybody know what Polaris' curing process is? If they're using heat, it could be affecting the panels, softening them up, making them more likely to have separation.
With the Base model not being painted, it would skip that step.

·
Registered
145 Posts
"Yamaha doesn't make anything anybody wants".
I wrote a 3 page letter regarding this and sent it to their product design center last week. When somebody makes a quality product to compete directly with the Polaris line they will either lose market share or up their quality. It's unfortunate that Yamaha got saddled with all the lawsuits from people who refused to accept responsibility for their own actions while the other manufacturers got to devote money to new products.
100% agree. My 2005 rhino was bulletproof. I waited years for yamaha to come up with something comparable to the rzr. Finally purchased a 2013 rzr xp 4 900. Wow what a blast to drive. Well took it to the Oregon coast. Within 2 rides back home in Idaho it was burning 1 qt of oil every 100 miles. I never modified my intake system(shouldnt have to) on the RZR just kept clean filters in it constantly at $30 a pop and the motor still needed a upper rebuild within 1000 miles of purchase. And polaris said not our problem. Had the motor redone. Put grease around the filter cover and covers over the outside of intake. And guess what... somehow dirt is still able to get in because the thing is burning oil like crazy again. I keep it to haul the family around but not happily. Told myself again who has a rig that compares to the Polaris General nobody... So again I put my faith in Polaris and sofar the intake and motor are fine at 1500 miles but have had plenty of other issues with the new rig. This time I purchased the Extended warranty and intend to use it every chance I get. Problem is my General has been in the shop going on 3 weeks this week and they have not even looked at it yet. I think the only rig that Polaris made that was a solid ride was the 2010 Robbie Gordon 800s rzr 4. My dad has 11000 miles on his and still going strong. Just blew a belt that had 6000 miles on it. I really hope this General has better longevity than my XP4.....

·
1,563 Posts
Yeah, it looks like the Deluxe probably out numbers the other two by a lot.

One thing I thought of though. Since the Deluxe and Premium are painted, anybody know what Polaris' curing process is? If they're using heat, it could be affecting the panels, softening them up, making them more likely to have separation.
With the Base model not being painted, it would skip that step.
I was at a dealer that had 2 red models on the floor. Both doors separated when gently tapped on the upper seam. My doors are good. Had them apart multiple times. I have the deluxe. I think it is quality control and engineering. The lip that locks both pieces together is very small. They made a Chinese boat load of plastic that they didn't want to eat. They knew of the issues but they had a new model to release. The share holders need their end so pushing the issue off as long as they can makes for a better return. Hope that most won't have issues and people will just wear down and move on. It's sad. If they cared they would have reached out to us by now.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I was at a dealer that had 2 red models on the floor. Both doors separated when gently tapped on the upper seam. My doors are good. Had them apart multiple times. I have the deluxe. I think it is quality control and engineering. The lip that locks both pieces together is very small. They made a Chinese boat load of plastic that they didn't want to eat. They knew of the issues but they had a new model to release. The share holders need their end so pushing the issue off as long as they can makes for a better return. Hope that most won't have issues and people will just wear down and move on. It's sad. If they cared they would have reached out to us by now.
I think the same can be said about the front dif. noise!!

·
Super Moderator
3,174 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, Polaris has a "fix", and has been discussed a few times.

Cheeto put together this thread with his version of the fix....
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/...th-breakdown-door-separation-design-flaw.html

In this thread, Racerfromhell,states his was fixed under warranty, in post 14.
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/...ues-defects/7569-door-fitment-seperation.html

A search will probably bring up more, but I remembered these threads.
Thanks, I saw Cheeto's fix and don't plan on drilling any holes through my outer skin. I then looked at the second link so I will have my dealer do that. Not sure why they didn't do it before I picked it up

1 - 20 of 30 Posts