Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 General XP 4 seater
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new 2020 XP and just starting to do some add ons and have a pulse bar question. So I understand if I were wiring a light bar etc I would want a relay but I’m wiring a usb outlet for my phone so can I just go direct to pulse bar and if so what do I do about the third (switched) wire that I won’t be needing?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The bus/pulse bar can actually supply a decent amount of amps. The bar itself can support multiple LED light bars and other dmall accessories. The bus/pulse bar is your relay. Most of the guys here run may more accessories that exceed the capacity of the bar....i.e. multiple LED bars, multiple LED pods, multiple LED whips, LED spot lights, amps and GPS. Guilty as described. In that scenario, a second fuse panel or relays is a must.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I wired a USB directly without a relay. As far as the third wire, I put a some heat shrink over it. I wired all my accessories on the switched wire. If you want to use your USB with the ignition off then wire it to the unswitched wire.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Just be careful in your use of the "switched" wire. The circuit has a 10A fuse and the wire itself isn't rated for much more than that.

Keep in mind that some USB ports are rated for 2.4A so too many LEDs can add up.

Just thoughts...

Pirate

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Yup I learned the hard way this weekend. I had all my accessories (Light Bar, Inferno Heater Fan, Rock Lights, Whips, Wiper, etc...) on the "switched" wire and kept blowing that 10A fuse when I turned on my light bar. Today, I moved the Inferno Heater Fan from the "switched" yellow wire to the always on red wire. This should alleviate the load on the switched wire and hopefully this will fix the issue. The reason I only moved the heater fan is that it will be less likely that I will accidently leave it on, hence draining my battery.

Edit:
Now that I think about it, the Inferno Heater Fan wire doesn't have a relay on it. Does anybody see an issue with this since I ran it through the pulse bar always on red wire?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Relay or Circuit Breaker? An accessory like a heater fan should be on a fused circuit. Thus protecting it and your machine if something goes to ground. Like the motor windings or the wiring.

Relays are not that expensive, get one rated say 25% above the manufacturer listed potential current draw...use the Pulse Bar red wire as the power and the yellow wire as the trigger.

Mount the relay in some open room to the front of the Pulse Bar and the fuse/circuit breaker in the redwire between the relay and the fan. A fuse distribution block really makes this easier, and you know where all the fuses are.

Just thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting info here. So I'm running a 40" bar, pair of pods, and two 6" bars as rear lights.... Should these things be relayed? Right now they're all wired to the pulse bar with the yellow wire free.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If you have them all wired to the "Hot" wire, you are good. But, you have a fuse for each one? You should, just in case damage occurs to one at the hot wire goes to ground.

You might add up the current draw, amps, for all of them...and if the combined is more than 10A consider wiring them to their own hot wire from the battery.

Pirate

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes they're all wired ot the hot. They're all fused independently. And I have a voltmeter that I keep an eye on at night. I've never checked the amp draw though.

·
Registered
20 G2 XP RC
1,170 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
A 40A relay is a big one for accessories on a General. You're liable to cook the accessories before the relay trips. That's why I recommended adding up the amp load of the
accessories that will be on that relay and then size the relay about 15% more.
If need be, add another relay and set of fuses for more accessories.
Something like a Blue Sea Systems fuse distribution block.
Pirate

·
Registered
2021 general deluxe, 2 seat
52 Posts
Got a new 2020 XP and just starting to do some add ons and have a pulse bar question. So I understand if I were wiring a light bar etc I would want a relay but I’m wiring a usb outlet for my phone so can I just go direct to pulse bar and if so what do I do about the third (switched) wire that I won’t be needing?
Cap off the live end and heat shrink.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts