·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Where did this happen at?
All i can say is oh my.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks for being a good trail buddy and helping the guy out. Hopefully the dude will pay it forward if someone else has issues and he can help.
One thing I’d recommend is throw a jacket over your winch line next time. When your cable breaks which they do, the jacket will take the energy out of the cable as it’s coming back at you around 300 mph. Also look into a snatch block and proper techniques on using it. With a proper snatch block set up you can maximize the winch’s pulling ability.

Again thanks for being a good trail buddy
Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Especially throwing a heavy jacket over the winch line or tow rope when trying to yank someone out with the tow rope.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't pull in reverse either. The reverse chain in the transmission is a weak point. If it snaps, I hear it does a lot of damage. I leave mine in park and stand on the brakes. Let the winch do the work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for being a good trail buddy and helping the guy out. Hopefully the dude will pay it forward if someone else has issues and he can help.
One thing I’d recommend is throw a jacket over your winch line next time. When your cable breaks which they do, the jacket will take the energy out of the cable as it’s coming back at you around 300 mph. Also look into a snatch block and proper techniques on using it. With a proper snatch block set up you can maximize the winch’s pulling ability.

Again thanks for being a good trail buddy
Cheers
Baja Charlie
Thank you Baja Charlie, yes a good tip we will do next time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did this happen at?
All i can say is oh my.
Johnny 7,
the location is Namibia if you check on maps and look for Rooibank church Walvis bay you see a remote church from there you see the Kuisib river, we drove up to Gobabeb.
the last time the river was wet was 2011, so this was a unique experience

·
Vendor
345 Posts
Awesome pics @4x4hans ! That is some NASTY mud!

For you guys that haven't seen our blog, we did a little write-up on Hans and his Namibian adventures recently!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts