Polaris General Forum banner

Prep for Electrical Accessories

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DEW 
#1 ·
Monday I got the Hilliard diff out of the General and got it shipped off to JJ and A Racing Products to be blueprinted, the torsion spring and roller cage upgraded.

So what to do now to be productive. Aha!! Do some preparation for wiring accessories. This is not something I did the best of on my 09 and I'm going to do better!

As one can see by looking at the Service Manual, or just removing the hood, there is an electrical "distribution" block. Looking from the front the left is ground, center is hot and right is switched.

As you can see in this first pic, the wiring required for the electric windshield wiper and heater defroster accessories just about buried the distribution block:

I purchased on Amazon three Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Blocks

I routed a red 10 gauge stranded wire from the distribution block "hot" post to one Blue Sea fuse block and a red 10 gauge stranded wire from the distribution block "switched" post to another Blue Sea fuse block:

So now I have an easy means to connect to power, either constant or switched and run it to an accessory. The Sea Blue blocks are designed with blade fuses in each of the six circuits per block. So no hunting for a fuse somewhere in the accessory wiring, they will all be at the distribution block. In the pic above are the two blocks mounted under the hood. Just as with the OEM distribution block, the "hot" Sea Blue block is on the left, the "switched" on the right. So staying with the OEM convention.

So what about Ground connections for the electrical accessories?

I decided to mount a bolt as a "ground post" by the Sea Blue blocks that is grounded via 10 gauge black stranded wire to the OEM distribution block ground post. Thus I'm not counting on a clean ground screw mounted somewhere on the frame, or trying to tie to the battery ground. I have a solid ground post located where the accessory wiring begins. I'd like to search Amazon and find a brass bolt, but for now cadmium plated steel will do.

Here are pics of the front and back of the Sea Blue Systems blocks if you want to look them up. You will need to buy a package of the "Terminal Block Jumpers" if you want to do as I did and use one hot wire to power all six of the circuits.

Now if I can find those rubber bulkheads that Polaris ran the split loom cable cover though....

Pirate

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.