Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’re headed down to San Quentin tomorrow. My usual routine the day before a ride is go through my pre ride list. Before I go through my list I look up my trail notes I have for this trip in my Trail Book. For my last trip on this trail I made the following notes:
The date, the weather, number of people, approximate weight loaded, tire pressures, impressions of handling characteristics, issues or problems, fuel consumption, trail conditions, how I drove and fun factors. My notes emphasized the start of that trip that with a full load of people and their bags the tire pressure at 15psi was good for the rear but the front tires didn’t plant the way I like them and I noted I changed the fronts to 12psi. Also I noted ride was pretty good but on some whoop sections around Johnson’s Ranch we did bottom out a time or two, on the return trip I cranked a couple of turns on the rear springs and noted it worked well.
This gives me information on how I should prep the car.

One of the main features I really like about the General 4 is it’s ability to plug and play for each unique trip. This trip it’s just me and the wife so here’s how I set it up.
  1. Took back seats out
  2. Only need one 3 gallon fuel Rotopax for emergencies, so relocated it to passenger side back floorboard so the weight is lower, same for the 1 gallon water pack on the driver’s side rear floorboard.
  3. Lowered the tire pressure to 12lbs and may go to 10lbs (remember I run 32” Tensors on 14” beadlock rims so I have a lot of sidewall flex)
  4. Took a couple of turns out on the rear springs
  5. Moved tool box in backseat area.
  6. All bags, cooler and snacks will go in the backseat area.
The rest of the pre trip prep is just common sense things like checking all fluids, check lug nuts and other nuts and bolts, check battery connections and water/acid levels and a good walk around and check.
Another thing I do is polish the exterior with the Polaris recommended furniture polish, Why? It helps the “dirt lite” dust from sticking on the rig, it does help a little bit and mud seems to wash off easier.

Well that’s my two pesos worth
We’re off at 8:00am tomorrow straight out of my garage for about a 300 mile round trip.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sounds like you have a good system! Have a safe and enjoyable trip

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got home last night and today I was fixing the water heater for the house so my trip write up is coming
So here’s a few things learned
  1. The outerwear stuff works
  2. 8 psi is better than 10 psi with two people in the rig
  3. LeadNav is bada_ s
  4. Hunterworks belts are the best
  5. Shock Therapy ( why bother with the other guys) I’ll explain in my trip write up
  6. Dual SkyPro 160 is awesome at ten second pings
Great trip, had a few issues but the two new routes we took made me realize how lucky I am to live here

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trail report on Lomas Del Mar to San Quentin.
Part one: The trip down

Well we left on Sunday and the weather was overcast and drizzling but in the sixties. No one on the road from my house to the military check point south of town and the military dudes were too busy drinking coffee to bother us, we drove right through the check point, so much for the lockdown????

Our group consisted of my neighbors Bill and Carol in their 2016 Polaris XP1000 2 seater, my neighbors Udo and Jana in their 2018 Polaris XP1000 Turbo 4 seater and me and my wife Linda in our 2017 General 4.

This trip is one our group has made four or five times so the ride from the Santo Tomas turn off to the turn off to Johnson’s rancho was routine, a fast fun trail with no gotchas. The Johnson’s portion was a wee more challenging because of all the rain ruts from all rain we had. It was slow and go in AWD and we lifted a few tires.
We gased up in Colinet and headed for the coast trail to the Hotel Pirate, a super fun trail with some great wash outs.
The way we’ve done the stretch from Pirate’s to the beach section was to go out to the main highway and drive the 9 miles on pavement to the turn off in Vincent’s Guerrero but with all this free time due to this Corona stuff I found a way using LeadNav and Google Earth to avoid the highway section. What a great adventure!!!! We started off by skirting the local cemetery and through farmlands and ended up on a trail on a cliff above the beach. It was spectacular. The trail spit us out on a beautiful beach and off we went to San Quentin. I usually turn off from the beach to head inland after about 13 miles on the beach but I really wanted to try a different trail off the beach. I got stuck in the small sand dunes and I had to winch out. I ended up going to my usual off the beach trail and we pulled into our hotel around 4. A great dinner at Jardines and many margaritas.
That’s it for Part one, more to come

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trail report San Quentin to the Estero point
Day Two
Well to start the day off we changed out my belt, it was time (4,270 miles on it) and we smelled it the day before when I was stuck in the small dunes. We put the Hunterworks one on and headed out to the point for some fresh oysters. I broke the belt in slowly over the 23 miles out to the point. Pretty impressed with new belt, seems to hook up sooner and feels smoother.
The point run is a great half day trip with a lot of beautiful scenery, a volcanic mountain and two short beach runs.
Back to the hotel, clean up and we’re off to Restaurante Eucalypto (Eucalyptuse) which is located at the Old Mill. OMG!!!!! This place is amazing, the restaurant is awesome inside and the food!!!!!!!!!!! I had a chunk of seared Blue Fin Tuna topped with 6 jumbo scampi shrimps. It was Udo’s 73rd birthday and we celebrated it with 2 bottles of Dom Perignon (he brought in his RZR) and finished off with Mexican coffees and bananas Foster. What a night, back to the hotel and a night cap

Well that’s it for now, more to come soon

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS pictures are coming

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trail report San Quentin to my house In Lomas Del Mar Baja California
Day three
After a great night partying it was time to head home. Sometimes the boss (wifey) gets impatient and when she thinks it’s time to go, that means go. As we were leaving I was trying to reverse the route on LeadNav and of course being rushed I selected the old route to the beach, so here we were driving around in the farm roads and I finally stopped and took my time to get the right route running. Of course I got the usual “why didn’t you get it right the first time.............” waaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I love the little woman but some days........
Anyway we hit the beach heading north. The tide was out and the sand was firm and fun. We took the new route I found and up off the beach to the cliff trail then through farmland and skirting the cemetery. Man was that fun, the weather was perfect 75 and sunny with a small breeze. So we’re scooting along around 50 ish and come around a corner right smack dab in to a giant fire that the farmers were burning their fields. You couldn’t see six inches in front of you from the dense smoke. I threw it in reverse and started backing out blindly and almost hit Bill’s RZR. We had two choices, one wait a couple of hours for the fire to die down or two find another route. Well there was this little trail off to my lefti and I took off on it telling my buddies to wait to see if it went through to Colinet and turned out to be the big wash that divides the town, a quick chirp on radio “come on boys’ two miles down the wash and bingo we end up at our gas station. Looking back at the fire we would have been there all day so it was on to the infamous Johnson trail which going backwards on it was a wee bit easier.
Well the rest of the trip back was lots of fun but pretty uneventful until we got about a mile from my house when out of the blue the check engine light came on and the car shut off for about two seconds and then came back to life. It did this three times and we stopped to get some beer about a quarter mile from my house and I shut if off. No beer but we did get ice cream, it started back up and it ran just fine. No codes, just a check engine light on for a blink of an eye. We pulled in the garage and the trip was over, bummer! Total miles 328. One belt and three check engine lights and a great trip!!!!!!!

Trip highlights:
  • Fox Podium shocks and Shock Therapy Dual rate springs are worth every peso
  • Tensor tires are awesome and even better set at 8 psi versus 10 or 12 psi.
  • LeadNav is the best nav system I’ve ever used for Baja
  • The Assault “D” ring steering wheel with the push to talk button rock!!!!
  • Love my winch
  • Gained ten pounds from the fabulous food we had.
  • Outerwear pre filters work and so does the blow hole CVT exhaust fan
  • Great belt grip with the Hunterworks belt
  • No medical checkpoints, Baja appears to be opening up
Trip lowlights:
  • We had to come home
  • No beer but I did borrow two Modelos from Udo when wasn’t looking
  • The fire sucked but we did find the wash trail
  • The check engine light bs. My suspicion is the fuel pump is going out or it’s time to change the filter sock. Why??? The same exact thing happened to me with my 2015 RZR XP 1000.
Anyway it’s time to do my after trip tear down and I’ll report my findings

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow great write up on your trip. I wish we had views like that. Without loading up the trailer and driving a few hours I only ride in the land behind house back to the Schuylkill river.
We mostly use the machine around the yard and for campfires at the river.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Post Ride Report
Well it was time to give the Magic Bus a good going over.
As I mentioned above about the intermittent engine light at the end of our adventure, the symptoms were exactly the same thing I had with my RZR so I replaced the stock fuel pump with a Quantum fuel pump and a new sock filter.
Performed a fuel pressure test and we’re at 58 psi. One thing that was noticeable was the smoothness of the engine.
Next thing was clutch work. As many know I run 32” Tensors because all my RZR buddies do and you ain’t going to find 28” tires in Baja. I know I’ve been on borrowed time in regards to my stock clutches and belt. So it was time to upgrade and I contacted Todd at Hunterworks and got his recommendations as to what would provide me the reliability I need. He seemed shocked that I hadn’t grenaded my clutches and a bunch of belts with over 4K Baja miles on the Bus. So here’s what I did.
  • Dalton clutch kit
  • New XP1000 primary clutch
  • Hunterworks belt
  • Razorback belt temperature gauge
With Todd’s videos and Dalton’s instructions I did the following

Secondary clutch
  • Installed round pucks
  • Clean up areas where the square pucks were
  • Installed new Dalton Helix and spring
Primary clutch
  • Installed the Dalton recommended weights for 32’s in the new XP1000
  • Installed new spring and new white washer
Reassembled both clutches and torqued them to spec.
Installed Razorback belt gauge

My two pesos worth
All the upgrades were super simple to do. The videos and instructions were great and if you’re thinking of trying this at home if I can do it you can too.
I’d recommend buying the following tools
  • Hunterworks primary puller and Secondary spring tool
  • Go on internet and look up fuel pump jam nut wrench or look on this forum for the post called “Fuel Pump” I made my own wrench and it works great
One interesting thing I found was the condition of the stock clutches. With over 4K miles and running 32’s they were like BRAND new. So I guess my posts about driving style are true and if you’re easy on and easy off things will last.
Preliminary test drive..........smooth

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS pic is my co-driver Libby
PSS Special shout out to Todd “You’d the man Amigo “!!!!
F4C01BEB-0F0B-438A-A691-2FD8FA8C3235.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts