Polaris General Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2020 general XP
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Brought this thread up 3 weeks ago, and I just barely got mine ordered now haha! tried to order them all through Bs fab shop but they didn’t have the ones f-or under the hood….

·
Registered
21 XP 1000
9 Posts
I wouldn't back off on blowing the clutches out.
What you will find is dust as fine as face powder.
Outerwears and Frogzskin materials stop particles larger than 50 microns. So there is still stuff getting through, but danged little. But you'll still get a puff of dust when blowing out the clutches.
For me, instead of a couple tablespoons of dirt in the cover. I get a quarter teaspoon of face powder. So, I still blow the clutches out with compressed air and wipe the cover out with a very damp cloth after a dusty days ride.

Pirate
Being new to the sxs world and not knowing most things you all know I am glade this forum exists, I’ve learned a lot and thank you all. After my first time out ( about 30 miles ) I have been going over everything as conditions were really dusty. The engine air filter was **** near perfect due to the S&B particle separator. The clutch…not so much. I do have one of those pre-filters under the hood but clearly all the dust came from the side vent, so it looks like I’ll be investing in a filter from Mountain Fit and hope that helps. I talked to the head mechanic where I purchased my General about the amount of dust in the clutch and he pretty much concurred with what you all have said, except….he said to tape up the side vent. Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me so…what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
21 XP 1000
9 Posts
Being new to the sxs world and not knowing most things you all know I am glade this forum exists, I’ve learned a lot and thank you all. After my first time out ( about 30 miles ) I have been going over everything as conditions were really dusty. The engine air filter was **** near perfect due to the S&B particle separator. The clutch…not so much. I do have one of those pre-filters under the hood but clearly all the dust came from the side vent, so it looks like I’ll be investing in a filter from Mountain Fit and hope that helps. I talked to the head mechanic where I purchased my General about the amount of dust in the clutch and he pretty much concurred with what you all have said, except….he said to tape up the side vent. Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me so…what are your thoughts?
Just got off a 20 minute phone call with Mountain Fit and the guy talked me out of the filter. Seems that my filter is pretty much the same as what there selling except for a little foam around the edges, which I can certainly apply myself. Aside from not riding where it’s so dusty, is there anything else I can do?

·
Registered
2022 G4 Delux RC Ghost White (ordered 9/1/21) & 2017 Sportsman 570
359 Posts
Hi Fred,

I think it was @Pirate that had a great writup about this but i'm not positive, I know when I get my 22 I'm going to aluminum tape the back side of the vent cover (just where the tabs come through) as he stated he thinks dust is definitely coming through the place where the tabs from the outer cover come through (I'll try to find the post) but I certainly would NOT tape over the outer vent cover behind the door. I think maybe the mechanic did not mean that at all, he probably meant on the back side of the outer cover where dust can get through. If you need more info I'm sure others will chime in but I plan on doing this along with the outerwear prefilters (that I have already recieved for under the hood) also one for the actual engine air filter element in which has its own prefilter. Also wanted to add never think it's a silly question to ask......ask it, i'm learning so much as well on this forum and everyone is here to help out!!!

·
Registered
21 XP 1000
9 Posts
Hi Fred,

I think it was @Pirate that had a great writup about this but i'm not positive, I know when I get my 22 I'm going to aluminum tape the back side of the vent cover (just where the tabs come through) as he stated he thinks dust is definitely coming through the place where the tabs from the outer cover come through (I'll try to find the post) but I certainly would NOT tape over the outer vent cover behind the door. I think maybe the mechanic did not mean that at all, he probably meant on the back side of the outer cover where dust can get through. If you need more info I'm sure others will chime in but I plan on doing this along with the outerwear prefilters (that I have already recieved for under the hood) also one for the actual engine air filter element in which has its own prefilter. Also wanted to add never think it's a silly question to ask......ask it, i'm learning so much as well on this forum and everyone is here to help out!!!
Thanks for your reply Brad, I’ll try sealing the inside as well. I’m also looking forward to input from others. Just talked with tech support at S&B and they said the particle separator I have is not enough to run both the engine and supply air to the clutch.

·
Registered
2022 G4 Delux RC Ghost White (ordered 9/1/21) & 2017 Sportsman 570
359 Posts
Thanks for your reply Brad, I’ll try sealing the inside as well. I’m also looking forward to input from others. Just talked with tech support at S&B and they said the particle separator I have is not enough to run both the engine and supply air to the clutch.
Sounds great Fred,

I looked but there is so many posts on "Outerwear" or "pre filter" I couldn't find it. Pirate I think said he definitely saw a difference after sealing that back side off by the tabs so I'm planning on doing that for sure as well. Keep us posted, other than that I think just taking the time to blow them out after a dusty weekend will help out dramatically. May be a pain but worth it to me instead of buying clutches for sure.

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
204 Posts
Here's what the back side of my intake looked like after applying strips of aluminum tape.

Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Gas Font

May have to think about applying the thin foam strips around there to seal out the dust.

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
1,035 Posts
I have the Mountain Fit due Friday…..another level of filter can’t be bad and I’m sealing up the inside. They told you to not buy a product of theirs…..completely weird to me, but I got one just the same. It definitely can’t hurt…lots of time between ordering and ship date

·
Registered
21 XP 1000
9 Posts
I have the Mountain Fit due Friday…..another level of filter can’t be bad and I’m sealing up the inside. They told you to not buy a product of theirs…..completely weird to me, but I got one just the same. It definitely can’t hurt
Maybe weird but I appreciate his honesty. While talking to him and looking at the pic on the website he was right in that the only difference was his had a piece of foam around it. Maybe I’m just to worried about it, and then maybe not. I’ll gladly pull the cover and air it out just to be sure.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Here's what the back side of my intake looked like after applying strips of aluminum tape.

View attachment 73411

May have to think about applying the thin foam strips around there to seal out the dust.
Did you put aluminum tape on the inside of the fender/panel where the hose connects? That seems to be where it needs tape also.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts