Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 general XP
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
I was browsing instagram earlier and came across these outerwear pre filters, what are your thoughts on these? does anyone run them? Are they worth it? Do they help?I run one directly over my S&B filter on my truck, ca t really say it does or does not help because I just started using it…
At $15-$20 each on Amazon they aren’t going to break the bank by any means, I’m just curious if they actually are functional. I ride in dry AZ mostly on dusty dirt roads, dry dusty washes or sandy dusty river beds, so I could use the protection….

TIA

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Office equipment

Drinkware Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive tire Tableware

·
Registered
2019 rc
87 Posts
Quite a few on here are running them including myself, just an added layer of protection, along with an extra frog skin on clutch air intake behind driver door, as i learned many years ago with my 08 RZR dust/sand is your machines worst enemy!!

·
Registered
2019 rc
87 Posts
By the way, Duraclutch is another alternative for under hood primary intake, And Wolfsnout makes a nice one for secondary intake on the side behind cab! Just make sure to seal the back side of the secondary intake behind cab as it is not sealed very well from the factory and will ingest a lot of dirt.

·
Registered
2019 rc
87 Posts
PS, Pirate has a great thread on the secondary air inlet cooling screen, which is excellent information regarding Outerwears and Frogskin. Also sealing the back of the secondary vent. Which for me was where i was getting most of my dust infiltration from. I rarely follow anyone, So my under hood intake remains really clean, I'll bet 90% of dust was coming from side intake. I also run a Blow Hole clutch exhaust fan which i believe really helps with cooling. Probably one of my favorite additions!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
We too run them for the engine air filter and the two inlets under the hood.
Frogskin on the side clutch air inlet.

Reactions: 20GENNYXP

·
Registered
2020 general XP
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS, Pirate has a great thread on the secondary air inlet cooling screen, which is excellent information regarding Outerwears and Frogskin. Also sealing the back of the secondary vent. Which for me was where i was getting most of my dust infiltration from. I rarely follow anyone, So my under hood intake remains really clean, I'll bet 90% of dust was coming from side intake. I also run a Blow Hole clutch exhaust fan which i believe really helps with cooling. Probably one of my favorite additions!
We too run them for the engine air filter and the two inlets under the hood.
Frogskin on the side clutch air inlet.
thanks guys! guess ill be trying these out, and looking up the side clutch breather frog skin. as for this secondary inlet behind the cab..... im not 100% sure what this is as im not looking at my machine currently? which are you talking about? i was recently washing my machine and noticed the bottom hooks were in for the air filter cover..... talk about a lot of dust on the filter..... the filter seemed to do pretty well, and there wasnt to much dust that got through it....

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The side clutch intake is to the right of your drivers side exterior door handle.

·
Registered
2020 general XP
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am running the following Outerwears pre-filters:

• One 20-2900 (on the air filter)
• Two 20-1094 (on the under hood intakes)

They have cut the dust intake by approx. 80% +
thank you for this... for some reason amazon keeps saying these wont fit my general, good to have an actual part number to actually know it fits. im gonna get these on order right now!

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
148 Posts
I took Pirate's advice and removed the Frogskin cover plate, then taped it down on the back side with some 1/2" strips of aluminum tape. This pulled the Frogskin cover tight and eliminated a lot of spots where the dust could enter. I'm also running the Outerwears pre-filters under the hood as well as their pre-filter sock on the air filter.

Very little dust gets by with this setup. I still blow out the clutch on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
You can call DuraClutch and get the Frogzskin piece that covers the "Secondary CVT Cooling Air Inlet", yup the one behind the drivers door on a G2.
For a bit under $20. Beats the heck out of what Polaris wants for one, and its the exact same piece. The ones now come with adhesive tabs to hold it in place. The early ones did not.
Yes, order the Outerwears from Outerwears.com and you will get the color selection.
After a trip longer than a weekend, or as often as you blow the clutches out (often and regularly) take the Outerwears off, wash them in warm water with a couple drops of dish washing soap.
Then rinse and set to dry for an hour or so and reinstall. For the Outerwears and the Frogzskin, do not use high pressure water against the material. It will tear.
How long do they last? I dunno, had mine on since I got my 2016 G2 on May 20, 2016 and haven't replaced one yet.

Pirate

·
Registered
2022 General XP 1000 Deluxe Ride Command Edition
12 Posts
Decided to go with the group consensus that these are a good idea. I live near Attica, IN where I ride Badlands several times a year. After spending the day in their sand dunes, my RZR would be full of dust. So these will be an added layer of protection to my new 2022 G2 so I'm not blowing out clutch housings so often! Went with the orange to match the trim.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

Product Orange Automotive tire Fluid Asphalt

1 - 20 of 41 Posts