Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the add! Went riding one day and playing in the mud and water I slipped my belt a little bit. Let it dry and continued on my way. Got home and pressure washed everything and let dry. Went to park it and fuel gauge was flashing low fuel. Took to dealer and they reflashed computer and it read half tank, like it had. Got it back and took it down the road and the belt shredded into pieces.

I said ****, I'm going to replace the belt, get a clutch kit, add some snorkels, and put some 30" tires on it. So I did. Got it all together. Filled the gas tank up and gauge still only read half full. I said **** with it I'm going riding.

Got down the road and and noticed a obvious amount of power loss. To the floor it took forever to get up to 65mph and wouldn't go any faster. Did not accelerate fast either. Continued riding and eventually (20 min or so) the **** thing wouldn't go 15mph or so pedal to the floor in low or high it would go about 30. I could shut it off and turn it back on and it would act half way decent for a few seconds then back to sluggish.

No engine light, seat belt plugged in. What could it be? Could the clutch need adjustments? Would heat play a factor in the clutch system? It really feels like the buggy only had about 20hp. The rpm's would not get above 5k and it just makes no sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,144 Posts
Welcome to the site Jburcham04!

Just a thought did you get all the shredded belt out?
Is there a blockage in the intake?
Any water in the fuel?

Let us know what you find!

Reactions: Johnny 7

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Guessing might be parts of shredded belt being it happened right after that the belt went to pieces. Might be belt pieces not letting clutch slide and so RPM's won't be worth a toot either. Just my guess.
Remember to break the new belt in don't go balls to the walls with a new belt.

Reactions: Sss44sthelen

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you ever figure out what caused the problem? I recently expierenced a loss of power. Cruising in an open field, pedal to the floor, it never exceed 65. Then it sounded like a cylinder cut out and wouldn’t go over 30mph. Any one else have a similar issue? And what did you do about it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yo
Did you ever figure out what caused the problem? I recently expierenced a loss of power. Cruising in an open field, pedal to the floor, it never exceed 65. Then it sounded like a cylinder cut out and wouldn’t go over 30mph. Any one else have a similar issue? And what did you do about it?
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
89 Posts
ours acted this way and I found a seatbelt wire under the drivers side that was pinched and shorting out, it was intermittent and was hard to find, but once I did, no problems since.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
So first thing, get a "seat belt bypass" piece that simply removes the seat belt and limp mode issue. Lots of folks make them. I believe I got mine from UTV Inc.

The other thing that might be a cause is the "Misfire Detection" that Polaris added to the ECU program. Its function is to sense a cylinder misfiring and shut of the injector to prevent the exhaust system filling the unburned fuel and possibly creating a fire potential. Unfortunately, its too sensitive and can drive one crazy. Right out of nowhere the engine goes into limp mode and the Check Engine light comes on. Shut the engine off, restart and the limp mode is gone and in about 1/4 mile the check engine light goes out. In Jan 2018, I had this happening about every 3 or 4 miles!

Thought it might be belt slip, as others thought, nope, no belt issues. Thought it might be in the clutches. Worked with DuraClutch. Sent me a new belt. Nope. Sent me a new Primary Clutch. Nope.
Then found Gilomen Innovations. Terry Gilomen found the problem and built an ECU program that desensitized the Misfire Detection, never had a problem since.

Just thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
2 Posts
did u ever figure out your issue with your rzr?

·
Registered
2 Posts
did u ever figure out your issue with your rzr?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts