Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400 watt, 12 volt power inverter that I have used with a 110 volt disc heater in the past in a van. Wondering if it would work with a 110 volt fan/heater in the General as a defroster, or if it would be too much of a load on the alternator?

· Registered
2019 rc
433 Posts
In my old RZR I used a 12v heater/fan that didn't work too bad. Yeah of course it was not like a 1500w electric, But I felt like my inverter would tax the system a bit much. Perhaps Pirate will chime in and give his opinion!

· Registered
2020XP4
2,486 Posts
Most plug in electric heaters are over 400 watts. This little guy we use in the bathroom is 400 watts. That would max out your inverter with no overhead. The inverter may overheat and shut off. Or not run it because of over current protection. Either way, I'd go 12v.
Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Audio equipment
Font Gas Gadget Audio equipment Eyelash

· Registered
General XP4 1000 deluxe
10 Posts
There are several reasons why this wouldn't be the best solution. First, I have not found an inverter which is waterproof. If you need an inverter, it should be portable so I can be removed and protected in bad weather. The second problem is that inverters can create 110v AC power but at a cost of efficiency. Every watt of 100v AC created would consume more watts of 12v DC. It would be much better to find a 12v heater and not use an inverter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts