Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 18 base model, i have the bus bar with 3 prongs. 2 of the prongs are fed directly from the battery and always "hot". If i turn the key on and check the post with no wire going to it (accessory post) should i not get 12 volts there with the key on?? i am checking from that accessory post to the ground post and do not get any reading, when i check the ground post to the positive post i do get 12.
I am putting in a super atv blinker kit and i originally ran the power wires to the 2 post that run directly to the batter but that allows my tail lights to stay on even when the key is off. I need a key on hot somewhere and thought that third post under the hood should work.
I have not tried it yet just put my volt meter on it last night and it didnt read anything....???????

·
Registered
209 Posts
The orange "keyed" positive is a little deceptive. It will feed a small amount of current like you desire, but I think its fused with 10Amps or something low. Really that keyed positive is meant to be the keyed trigger for a larger relay. I have an 80A relay that is triggered by that keyed post. The relay is fed by the red always on post.

You might get away adding one or two small current draw devices to the orange keyed post directly. Otherwise if you think you will add more accessories in the future that need to be keyed, you'd be far better off running an HD relay.

Agree with Buelligan666 above, you probably blew that 10A fuse that protects the orange keyed wire. Check that first. Should be in the battery compartment under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My acc fuse is good. I only have 2 wires that run to my bar, the positive and negative from the battery. There is not a wire that goes to the acc post. There is some type of factory plug that comes off that post but no incoming wire to supply any power...??????

·
Registered
58 Posts
I beleive the one to the left is for the keyed post that will trigger a relay. The other 2 will power the relay to the accessory.
Make sense?
The post on the left only has power when the key is on correct?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Here's what's under the hood on my 18 Limited Edition. The black plug from the left terminal post goes to a wiring harness that runs through the front cab wall, it's loomed together with another plug and harness. I believe it's the diagnostic plug? I hope this helps in some way. IMG_20191022_220356617_1571796391983.jpg IMG_20191022_220325324_1571796412020.jpg IMG_20191022_220343005_1571796431343.jpg

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well... I wonder why that harness that's on mine isn't on yours? Maybe peek behind the dash and see if it's stuffed in there somewhere. Maybe since there's no winch setup, they don't pull that through the cab wall and hook it up? Worth a look. If you find it and all you have to do is poke it through and plug it in, that's an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I believe the bus bar under the hood basically comes un-wired. If you purchase Polaris accessories, like heater and windshield wiper, the dealer wires the bus bar as part of the installation. So how they wired them is how you get them. I chose to wire all my accessories to Sea Blue Systems fuse blocks under the hood and simply left the bus bar alone.

I have one fuse block that is Hot all the time and one fuse block that is "keyed".

So as mentioned earlier, I use the Polaris "Accessory circuit" as the trigger for a good size relay that powers the "keyed" fuse block.

I use Rockford Fosgate battery posts that allow me to connect the battery to the chassis circuits, add a large hot wire to the Hot fuse block and to the relay for the "keyed" fuse block.

It's not difficult. Lots of us here to help.

Pirate

·
Registered
209 Posts
Strange the factory didn't wire the keyed post. I have the Deluxe with the winch so I guess that's the difference. Hopefully not too hard to figure out how to wire up the left post, as mentioned before maybe it's bundled under the dash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All i am going to run is this blinker kit, i do not plan on installing anything else. i have no need for a winch or anything with a big power draw..
The blinker kit came with a in-line 3 amp fuse to protect it so its not pulling much power.
Where can i find a key on power source, will i have to run a wire from the fuse box (acc fuse) to the bus bar under the hood to get what i need?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Look behind the dash for the wire bundle like the one in the pictures I posted. Should be close to the rubber plug in the cab wall I would think. I don't think you should have to run any additional wiring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have the 2018 General and i replaced the power bar with the Polaris Pulse system, this makes the wiring very much neater and you dont have to keep on adding wires the single pole. It is a very quick and simple upgrade at less the $80 and tidys up the wiring neatly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts