Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to remove my tree kickers this weekend to install my Factory UTV rock sliders and the threaded inserts in the expanders/anchors fell right out. I tried removing the expanders from the chassis and that couldn't be done.

I ended up having to cut the head off of the expander and push the remaining portion into the hole. Only two of these (one per side) was accessible for removal, but the other four pieces are sitting in the frame.

The issue I have now is reinstalling the tree kickers. My dealer said Polaris doesn't sell the anchors/bolts separate. Even if I was able to get them, I would till have to worry about removing them in the future and going through the same hassle.

My kids Ace had a different type of anchoring system for his rock sliders, which can be taken off and reinstalled easily.

I'm thinking of getting a nut welded into the chassis holes so I can bolt them up directly without having to worry about this issue again - should I ever have to remove the kickers.

Has anyone had to remove the Polaris tree kickers yet? Do you have a simpler solution?

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a matter of fact I did. I had the same issue for the same reason, rock sliders. I was fortunate enough to be able to get the bolt out and then using vise grips I was able to work the insert out. However the spreader nut fell inside the frame. I just used a magnet and patience to get them out. I was able to reassemble them this time, but next time I will be modifying something. I'm not going through that again. Very poor design by Polaris.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can buy them separately from Polaris because I had the same bad experience and had to buy them just tonight. Still trying to get them remounted.
The part number for a bag that has all the hardware is $39 and believe the part number is 2205116 The same part number used on RZR's
Even if you need just one or two buy the Whole kit because the the bolt and anchor individually is like $17 a piece, that's what I did at first then realized I needed more than one and decided on the bag of hardware and that way I have extras now, really bad design

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
I held off installing my rock sliders because I was worried about this being an issue. Thanks for posting this, I was actually going to install them this weekend before I picked out a skid plate set. Now I'm really glad I waited.

I'm torn between Fatory UTV like I have on my XP or Trail Armor like my buddy has on his XP 1000. I need to look at his again and decide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Word to the size. Stay away from the Polaris tree kickers. Pure junk!!!!!! Rolled over a rock and bounced the drivers side agains a tree and those chintzy mounts they pride didn't hold up. Now I am another one trying to figure out a better way to mount them. BERY POOR DESIGN POLARIS!!!!!

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I had the same problem with the two piece nuts coming apart and not being able to get the bolts in.

I removed the slider panel. Then ground two sides of a 1/4 x 20 bolt head off, installed the modified bolt in my slide hammer.

Inserted the modified bolt into the outer portion of the two piece nut and was able to get the piece out. Then with a small magnet got the other half of the nut out.

From two that the dealer did correctly, the two pieces must be pulled together until the face of the inner half is flush with the face of the outer half...then they are locked together and will stay that way!!

To get them pulled together I had to make a custom 1/2" wrench that fits the flats on the outer half of the nut so that I could hold it in place while I used the bolt to pull the two halves together.

Yup, I designed the wrench in Autodesk Inventor and cut it on my PlasmaCam. Found that a standard wrench is too thick, pliers won't hold it....

Next is the goofy plastic cover for the bolts. Already lost one. So ordered two more at $13 each. Have decided if I want to use them...I'll drill and tap a hole in the head of the bolts. Then retain the plastic caps with a small screw and washer...then paint to match.

Does seem like a lot of work...and I have to take the rock sliders off any time I want to take the main Factory UTV skid section off....

Working to find a permanent fix!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
76 Posts
I keep debating buying these but now I'm thinking twice. For once seems like no pics. Are you guys talking about the low profile or the nerf bar type? I had assumed the nerf bar style I could stand on!! And I'm 250ish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have ones I bought from Outkast fabworks and they seemed to be a really well made product and they were only $200 shipped.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Sorry, don't have a clue how the nerf bar type mount.

Rolled through a very rocky trail up to Goose Lake outside of Cooke City, Montana earlier this week. With the General's ground clearance, and the Factory UTV UHMW skid...didn't hit bottom more than once or twice.

Did bang the low profile on a few rocks, from the bottom, but did no damage.

That's all I wanted!

Pirate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts