Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had trouble getting their rear bumper from Polaris tight? It just bolts underneath the dump box with 4 bolts. I've got the bolts tight but I can lift up on the bumper and it's got about a 1/4 inch of play up and down. Not sure if it is normal. It seems solid enough for rear impact and you could never lift the bike anyway.

Also, does anyone use it to strap there bike down in your trailer? It looks to me that it wouldn't be a good idea cause all the force would be pulling on the dump latches.

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Has anyone else had trouble getting their rear bumper from Polaris tight? It just bolts underneath the dump box with 4 bolts. I've got the bolts tight but I can lift up on the bumper and it's got about a 1/4 inch of play up and down. Not sure if it is normal. It seems solid enough for rear impact and you could never lift the bike anyway.

Also, does anyone use it to strap there bike down in your trailer? It looks to me that it wouldn't be a good idea cause all the force would be pulling on the dump latches.

Thanks
I had the same problem with mine. I snugged it up as best as I could without stripping the bolts/nuts or breaking a bracket. I'm ok with it as it is because it doesn't move on it's own while driving, but if I put any pressure on it, it will move.

I don't strap mine down on the bumper. I strap the rear down using the hooks on the hitch bracket and the front is strapped with the winch cable.

I have tried tire straps because I was told it's better on the suspension since it's not compressed, but the problem I had with that is the General had too much movement which in turn caused my trailering cover to tear in two places - at the edge of the roof and on the edge of the front bumper.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The movement is most likely due to the square holes being larger than the square part of the carriage bolts. I haven't installed one on mine yet but have seen it to be the issue on other stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts

Thanks
Welcome aboard coryelliott!!:grin2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does the bolt have a grip length? Are you tight up against that with your nut? If you are get a bolt with a shorter grip length.

·
Registered
761 Posts
... and the front is strapped with the winch cable.

Just FYI, this is a no-no. Winches are not designed for shock loads and that's exactly what's happening when you hit a bump and the General's suspension cycles. It can also bind your winch cable/rope so tight on itself you'll have trouble pulling it out when you suddenly need it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had to use some butt to get the torx bolts tight. I used longer bolts with locknuts on the bottom. I can stand on it. Had to cut parts of it off too. The Chinese welds twisted the pipes. Would not fit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the same issue with the slop in moving up and down. The only real problem is with the bed in dump position and the bumper in the gravity down part of the slop the bumper will contact a tire. If you dump and relocate the bed not a problem but if you dump leave the bed down and drive it will catch on the tire lugs. I lifted it up and welded a stopper on it to keep it in one spot. It should not be this way but Polaris sent them out like this. I would not use the bumper for pulling off of or tie down.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I have the Polaris rear bumper, and yes it has a little vertical movement with all the bolts tight. Not going to worry about it. Got it mostly to protect the tailgate from backing into things.

I use a heavy ratchet strap at all four corners. The rear two hook into the safety chain loops on the hitch. Thus not just compressing the suspension. The front two straps have a hook and a longer loop of strap material. So I figure I'll just do like the RZR and loop them around the front bumper tubes.

Do use the winch just enough to snug down a bit. Just to make sure nothing moves! But Cheeto, you are correct, over time the cable got so tight it broke just snugging it up. Finally had to take the winch out, set it on the bench and ust a cut of wheel to cut about half the cable off in 6" lengths. So went to a synthetic rope cable for the winch. Now if the straps are tight, the rope is slack. Roll rope into the winch until snug, and the straps are loose.

So it goes.

Pirate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts