Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Nope, so best to check all the connections for leaks and then look the heat exchanger over carefully, and don't for get the second thermostat up by the radiator.

Pirate

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Have seen 2 that had leaks and both were the same.
They were leaking inside the cab but the leak came from outside on the firewall where one of the fittings screwed into the heater core. Both of them took off the fitting and applied pipe dope and fixed the problem.
Does your leak and if so where? Inside cab or outside of the cab?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leaks inside the cab, it is leaking between the fire wall and the heater core. I pulled the screen cover off and the heater core fins are all dry. I can't see up past it, the heater hose are both tight and not leaking where they connect. Dribbles a little down the fire wall

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I would guess the fitting or fittings are leaking where they screw into the heater core. That is what was leaking on the other ones too but could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Sometimes these leaks are hard to find the source. Might only leak when good and hot and under pressure. Maybe do some hard riding and stop and get out quick to check your fittings to see if it is leaking slowly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would guess the fitting or fittings are leaking where they screw into the heater core. That is what was leaking on the other ones too but could be wrong.
They only way Ito find the leak is to pull the heater core I think. You say the connection at the core and not the hose connections by the right frt tire can leak? I can not find an exploded view of it anywhere

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Yes it was one of the connectors that screw into the heater core were leaking. The heater hose slips over those connectors unless the newer heater cores the nipple is made into the core. These weren't as they had 2 fittings that screwed into the heater core.
I am not saying it couldn't be the core as it very well could be, just stating what we found on other machines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it was one of the connectors that screw into the heater core were leaking. The heater hose slips over those connectors unless the newer heater cores the nipple is made into the core. These weren't as they had 2 fittings that screwed into the heater core.
I am not saying it couldn't be the core as it very well could be, just stating what we found on other machines.
That makes sense because it is leaking up in the right hand corner (if setting in passenger seat) where the nipples are. It is a 2017. Is it a pain to get to it, I have the extended warranty until Oct of 21... but haven't called to see if it's covered, I just bought it

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Did you buy this machine new or just bought it now?
Did the dealership install the heater and if so what year?
All we did was take off the heater hose from the nipple of the one that was leaking, unscrew the nipple and put some pipe dope on it and screwed it back in and tightened it down. Don't overtighten. Then put the hose back on the nipple fitting and tighten hose clamp and refill with anti-freeze.
If it is the heater core itself leaking i would think it would be covered under the extended warranty but maybe not if it is the nipple leaking.
Now if you just had them install it lately the dealership should fix it.
On those 2 machines you could clearly see which nipple was leaking by looking at it from the firewall side and both had anti-freeze inside on the passenger floor. Not alot but noticeable. On both they had to drive it alittle to get it to leak idling didn't do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought It and it was installed at the dealer new its a 2017. What you described is very similar to mine on the leaking.
I will look to see if the nipples screw on. It should not hardly loose much antifreeze checking the nipples, thanks ... I'll let you know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The nipples do not seem loose. I gently tried to tighten both and they seemed tight.
I guess I'm nervous about trying to unscrew one not knowing if it's the one that unscrew, afraid I'll twist it off.
I've built Harley's, cars and trucks.... retired Union Electrician..... just hate to screw up my new toy..lol

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
These weren't loose but didn't have enough pipe dope on them and they still leaked around the threads. If you can't see something leaking in the fender well area around the fittings, it might be the core itself leaking. We could see anti freeze around the threads and inside the passenger floor board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same here, nothing wet in the fender well, just dribbles a little on the passenger side for board, .. right below where the nipples are.
I think your right, but I don't know which core they put in,.. the one you can do what you say or the non turnable nipples.
It should turn out with minimal pressure doesn't it? I'll try to do that this afternoon..

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If the nipple on the firewall has a nut head on it then it must be turnable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I found a pic of a heater core that has the nipples that you speak of. It is not the same nipples as mine and they are a brass looking hose barb? .... mine are copper nipples. I will need to take it in i think.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update Johnny7, I finally got the chance to go inspect those nipples myself instead of having my son try to look at it. He did know what he was looking for and mine do have that type of nipple, thank you for your knowledge brother I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Just hope that is what it is and not the heater core itself.
But you are very welcome my friend and lets keep our fingers crossed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts