Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a weak tailgate latch on your Polaris General? My tailgate constantly pops opens, I’ve tested other General tailgates at dealers and find the same problem. You can literally stand behind a closed tailgate, pull on it and open the tailgate.

Polaris went very cheap on the General Tailgate latching mechanism when compared to the Ranger setup.

Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine did it once in a while.close it then it's fine I also put teflon washers on the tailgate hinges,it would slide to one side all the time about a 1/2 "funny thing is when I did that it doesn't pop open any more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem. Tail gate pops open on the trail. Mine popped open, the two long latching rods started to slide out, handle almost came out and both springs came out. Now can't figure out how to put springs back in. Guess I will have to haul it back to dealer to fix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I went to the dealer to pick mine up (2018 G2), I noticed that the driver side latch on the tailgate did not latch completely. The dealership was quick to submit it for warranty. After a month I did not hear back and called to ask what the status was. I was told that there was "an injection molding issue with the handle". They said they had all the parts except the handle which is on back order. I was given a date of March 21 when they expect to have the handle and should only take 15 minutes or so to complete the repair. Updates to follow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Finally fixed mine

·
Registered
22 Posts
New part number by Polaris. Works perfect now!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
just look under your tailgate handle for the click pins that go thru the rods. These allow the handle to use the springs to get more leverage on the rods. Needle nose pliers and two minutes. These are already on the 2020 G's

·
Registered
10 Posts
just look under your tailgate handle for the click pins that go thru the rods. These allow the handle to use the springs to get more leverage on the rods. Needle nose pliers and two minutes. These are already on the 2020 G's
Unfortunately my 2020 G4XP still has the same problem. Already started after only a few months owning it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2018 G4 had the same problem. After seeing some folks with the same problem, I ordered the new clips shown above. Instant fix! But, just last week while closing the tailgate in my shed, I heard a slight ping as the new clip fell out. I reinstalled it, and everything is ok, but now after closing the tailgate, I now give a quick feel, and verify the two clips are in place, and haven’t moved. 2 second verify. But is you do lose one, they are cheap enough to have a couple sets in the small parts sack in the glovebox.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts