Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was looking at the Polaris General website, and there is a comparison feature that compares the general to the Can-Am Commander XT. I found the comparison somewhat biased though, so I decided to do a more impartial comparison myself. Check out what I have put together below and feel free to add to it.

Polaris General 1000 EPS

Price: $17,499 (US)
Engine: 4-Stroke Twin Cylinder DOHC
Horsepower: 100 hp
Front Suspension: Dual A-Arm with Stabilizer Bar 12.25" Travel
Rear Suspension: Dual A-Arm with Stabilizer Bar 13.2" Travel
Ground Clearance: 12"
Payload Capacity: 1,100 lbs
Tow Capacity: 1,500 lbs
Wheelbase: 81"

Other notable things I found were the 4,500 lbs winch that comes standard, and the "Lock & Ride" system that allows for quick and easy installation of removal of accessories.

Can-Am Commander XT

Price: $14,749
Engine: Rotax 800R or Rotax 1000 liquid-cooled V-Twin engines, both 4-cylinder.
Horsepower: 71 hp or 85 hp
Front Suspension: Double A-Arm with dive-control geometry 10" travel
Rear Suspension: Torsional Trailing arm Independent rear suspension with external sway bar 10"
Ground Clearance: 11"
Payload Capacity: 600 lbs, 400 lbs upper level / 200 lbs lower level
Tow Capacity: 1,500 lbs
Wheelbase: 75.8"

The Commander also comes with a standard 4,500 lbs winch, and touts its Trimode Dynamic Steering that can be adjusted to different types of terrain.

-----------------------------------------------------

I see two main things. The Polaris General is more capable and powerful. If that is what you are looking for, you have your winner. It also costs about $3,000 more than the Commander which is definitely something to consider as well.

Anything else you would point out? Please add to the comparison.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The General has 1/2 doors and most of the engine is easier to access for repairs. The XT has nets and more costly to do servicing since most of the engine is underneath cab and not the tilting box.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The General will have less in-cab noise and heat due to the placement of the engine.

I haven't driven the General yet, but I have driven my buddy's Commander XT. He was interested in trying my RZR one day when we were out for a ride.

The Commander didn't impress me. In the rough sections where my RZR would float along, the backend of the Commander would kick out like an old F-250. My buddy fell in love with the RZR. He now has a RZR-S.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The General will have less in-cab noise and heat due to the placement of the engine.

I haven't driven the General yet, but I have driven my buddy's Commander XT. He was interested in trying my RZR one day when we were out for a ride.

The Commander didn't impress me. In the rough sections where my RZR would float along, the backend of the Commander would kick out like an old F-250. My buddy fell in love with the RZR. He now has a RZR-S.
i got my general two days ago it all that what a nice ride 70 mph

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had 2 Commander XT's. I loved them both. There is for sure engine noise and heat which is a downside. Ease of maintenance goes to the General due to engine placement but it also adds rear weight for a somewhat heavy back end.

The General also has the awesome 1/2 doors standard and real rubber but is it worth another $3K??? The Lock-N-Ride is super sweet for sure though.

I am deciding on what to buy at this point. The biggest negative for me is the color options, or the lack there of. I do not want painted plastics as they always peel at some point and I do not like red. I'm totally shocked thet they do not offer it in Ranger green?!?!?!

Reactions: camo man

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got to ride the General last weekend. To me it would be worth the extra $3000, for two reason the doors and ease of maintenance. But and this is a big but, I like the Commander seats a whole lot better. When I go out and ride, it is for 10 to 11 hours a day. In the General we were out for about three hours and my back was killing me by the time we got done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is only one price quote for 2 engine options? I think there should be two just like there are 3 price points for the General.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is only one price quote for 2 engine options? I think there should be two just like there are 3 price points for the General.

There are more models than what is shown - this thread only focuses on the Commander XT vs. the General Premium. Those are close in equipment and function.

·
Registered
4 Posts
actually the 2 closes units offered by can am is the commander xt-p at $17,549 and the commander ltd at $ 21,949.00. both have fox shocks but are limited at 10" travel, no doors either. horse power i believe is at 85. The ltd does have gps and a stereo. The base commander dps has an msrp of $ 14,449.00 no doors etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has nobody actually put the General and the Commander in a head to head competition? I have been searching the Internet for hours looking for a video of these two machines competing against each other. I can find nothing. Not even a simple drag race. Does anybody have a link or anything like that? I figured that would have been done almost instantly

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has nobody actually put the General and the Commander in a head to head competition? I have been searching the Internet for hours looking for a video of these two machines competing against each other. I can find nothing. Not even a simple drag race. Does anybody have a link or anything like that? I figured that would have been done almost instantly
that is a really good idea,i have been trying to get my buddy out to do this exact thing,but he wants to ride in my general instead, haha,especially now that its getting warmer.i will try to get it done in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
that is a really good idea,i have been trying to get my buddy out to do this exact thing,but he wants to ride in my general instead, haha,especially now that its getting warmer.i will try to get it done in the next few weeks.
That would be awesome! Make sure you post on YouTube! You will get tons of views! I still can't believe nobody has done it yet tho

·
Registered
36 Posts
Engine: Rotax 800R or Rotax 1000 liquid-cooled V-Twin engines, both 4-cylinder.
unless they have changed something since i owned my commander, they are a two cylinder

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Engine: Rotax 800R or Rotax 1000 liquid-cooled V-Twin engines, both 4-cylinder
unless they have changed something since i owned my commander, they are a two cylinder

Maybe they meant 4 cycle and not 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My buddy with a commander 1000xt and I raced a couple weeks ago he kept jumping and leaving before the 3 count and I still ran him down lol he always swerved and says his commander is spinning or slipping a belt lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts