Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help a newbie out. I bought a 2021 G4 XP without the ride command it has RF stereo and front speakers only. It's okay for a starter but need to upgrade.

First question is if I don't have the Ride Command does that mean I have the PMX2 system? Reason I ask is I have researched all kinds of old posts about pods vs sound bars vs ride command vs PMX2 vs after market vs OEM and it is very confusing for a dummy like me. But what I have narrowed down to is I want as much plug and play OEM as possible and I want ceiling mounted rears not pods. I went on Polaris site and found PMX 2 Stage 2 Kit + rear speakers for $699. Comes with two very well mounted rear ceiling speakers with awesome enclosures and an amp. It is advertised as a Brand New Item so the description is very vague with no installation manual. It does not even say if its Rcokford Fosgate.

Does anyone know if this is plug and play with stock system. It shows no wiring in the picture. 699 is a little more than what I was wanting to spend but if all I do is snap a couple harnesses together and attach the hardware to the cage it would be worth the cost of labor and head scratching that comes with "building my own" upgrade.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the same one, the amp replaces your factory amp if you have one. Mine didn’t have one, so my wiring harness was not compatible with the amp. Purchased a JL audio amp and a Rockford modified harness from Trailstar Audio and couldn’t be happier with the sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please help a newbie out. I bought a 2021 G4 XP without the ride command it has RF stereo and front speakers only. It's okay for a starter but need to upgrade.

First question is if I don't have the Ride Command does that mean I have the PMX2 system? Reason I ask is I have researched all kinds of old posts about pods vs sound bars vs ride command vs PMX2 vs after market vs OEM and it is very confusing for a dummy like me. But what I have narrowed down to is I want as much plug and play OEM as possible and I want ceiling mounted rears not pods. I went on Polaris site and found PMX 2 Stage 2 Kit + rear speakers for $699. Comes with two very well mounted rear ceiling speakers with awesome enclosures and an amp. It is advertised as a Brand New Item so the description is very vague with no installation manual. It does not even say if its Rcokford Fosgate.

Does anyone know if this is plug and play with stock system. It shows no wiring in the picture. 699 is a little more than what I was wanting to spend but if all I do is snap a couple harnesses together and attach the hardware to the cage it would be worth the cost of labor and head scratching that comes with "building my own" upgrade.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you don't have ride command you should have the PMX2 head unit. Polaris is coming out with the PMX2 rear speaker and amp kit this month supposedly but they don't give any details about how it will plug in. The amp it comes with has a proprietary 23 pin plug so they must have a harness in the kit that allows it to plug into the factory harness.

·
Registered
750 Posts
(Begin rant: )
Polaris' Stage 1/2/3/4 are different than Rockford Fosgate's Stage 1/2/3/4 even though RF makes the parts for Polaris. That causes confusion right off the bat sometimes.

If I recall correctly the Polaris version of the PMX2 uses a proprietary wiring harness. This is really going to screw somebody that buys the PMX2 from say Crutchfield and then wants to upgrade it with the rear speakers/amp later or vice-versa adding the rear speakers (if RF ever releases them aftermarket) to a Polaris installed PMX2 system.

It also doesn't help that the listing for the "Stage 2 PMX kit + rear speakers" singles out the antenna and the front speaker pods in the images. Too many people with short attention spans don't read the full descriptions anymore.

(End rant: )

I suspect the kit will come with the wiring needed to adapt it to the factory installed PMX2 system but I'd make your parts guy confirm/guarantee that with Polaris up front.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts

Thanks
For what is worth, this speaker kit has the Rockford Fosgate branding on it

·
Registered
14 Posts
For what is worth, this speaker kit has the Rockford Fosgate branding on it
Yes its very confusing. If you call RF about support for the factory 400w/4ch amp or the factory PMX2 they will tell you that Polaris somehow designed it that way. I call BS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its very confusing. If you call RF about support for the factory 400w/4ch amp or the factory PMX2 they will tell you that Polaris somehow designed it that way. I call BS.
I p
(Begin rant: )
Polaris' Stage 1/2/3/4 are different than Rockford Fosgate's Stage 1/2/3/4 even though RF makes the parts for Polaris. That causes confusion right off the bat sometimes.

If I recall correctly the Polaris version of the PMX2 uses a proprietary wiring harness. This is really going to screw somebody that buys the PMX2 from say Crutchfield and then wants to upgrade it with the rear speakers/amp later or vice-versa adding the rear speakers (if RF ever releases them aftermarket) to a Polaris installed PMX2 system.

It also doesn't help that the listing for the "Stage 2 PMX kit + rear speakers" singles out the antenna and the front speaker pods in the images. Too many people with short attention spans don't read the full descriptions anymore.

(End rant: )

I suspect the kit will come with the wiring needed to adapt it to the factory installed PMX2 system but I'd make your parts guy confirm/guarantee that with Polaris up front.
Yup I plan to ask that question for sure. I am pateintly waiting for the release.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts