Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I'm planning our 2022 trip. Last half dozen have been to Utah. Wanna change. Has anyone been trail riding in the Salmon, Idaho area? We're looking at incorporating the Rally in the Pines in our plans. Also looking at spending some time in Yellowstone. There are ATV trails on the west side of Yellowstone. It's hard to tell exactly what the trails consist of. All too many turn out to be dusty gravel roads. Not what we're looking for. We like forest trails, trees, rivers, lakes, abandoned mines, ghost towns. I know they're out there, but not easy to find. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General 1000 XP 4 Deluxe
111 Posts
So we ride some pretty cool areas southwest/west of Yellowstone. We have a cabin up in the island park area of Idaho.

There is an old railroad that was decommissioned and turned into a trail that’s about a 30 mile ride from warm river to the west gate of Yellowstone. It also passes close to an area called Mesa falls which is cool to see.There is also a mountain that is cool to see that is called Two Top in that area that is fun to go play around at.

On the way out to salmon though there is a city called Gilmore. Super cool area and used to be a ghost town until it was bought up and people started building here and there. But it’s an old silver mining area that has a lot of old machinery and mines that you can explore. However the mines are sketchy as all get out. The trail ends at an old glacier lake that you can fish. But lots or elk in that area that you may run into. Also there are lots of moose in the lower valleys.

I have done some hunting in the salmon area with lots of hiking but amazing views. The water runs high until July on a normal year so don’t plan on crossing rivers before then.

Here are a couple pics from our rides and travels up that way recently. If you have any questions hit me up. But we usually spend a week or 2 up that way a month during the summer.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Nice pics. Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi All - I'm planning our 2022 trip. Last half dozen have been to Utah. Wanna change. Has anyone been trail riding in the Salmon, Idaho area? We're looking at incorporating the Rally in the Pines in our plans. Also looking at spending some time in Yellowstone. There are ATV trails on the west side of Yellowstone. It's hard to tell exactly what the trails consist of. All too many turn out to be dusty gravel roads. Not what we're looking for. We like forest trails, trees, rivers, lakes, abandoned mines, ghost towns. I know they're out there, but not easy to find. Thanks for any advice.
I do know from exploring the Rally IN the Pines last year pre covid and this year, there is great interest in this rally. I believe this years event sold out almost many many months before the event. . They do have a mailing list for next years event. I'd think about signing up if you have not already done so. Some interesting events in SW Utah too with much the same appeal. Registration for next year begins Dec 1 2021.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BEAUTIFUL area! We hit Moab, Marysvale, and Bryce Canyon this year. Got altitude sickness and had to cancel Millsite State Park in the Arapeens, and head home early. Utah is great, but looking for a change. I signed up for info on Rally in the Pines, but they don't take reservations until December. That's only 4 days in June, and we're looking for an RV park to hit some trails near Salmon, other than the ones we'll ride at the Rally. Problem is that RV parks around Salmon, Callis, and Mackay are REAL small, in town, with little shade. Moose Crossing is south of Mackay, and a good looking place, but there's only one trail going out from camp, and it looks like miles of dusty road to hit any other trails. As far as Yellowstone - there are LOTS of RV parks, mostly booked for years, and it's hard to get a look at the types of trails near the /RV parks. You guys have been VERY helpful. I've read about the railroad grade. Will try it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished a trip to the Stanley Idaho area and would look into the Sawmill Station rv park designed for UTV's look it up hudreds of miles of trails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts