Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a parking brake setup for the general that doesnt just hold down the brake pedal. Per Michigan's new law you need a parking brake independent of the brake system on 2 wheels to make street legal

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No because it has to be able to be activated completely independent from the normal brake system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go to google and search for hydraulic brake lock. I think this is what you will need. There are many different brands with mico being top of the line, but pricey

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
Go to google and search for hydraulic brake lock. I think this is what you will need. There are many different brands with mico being top of the line, but pricey[/QUOT

This will not work they want a park brake that is a stand alone or a system that doesn't use the regular brakes at all I am also dealing with this
the park break thingy just holds the brakes on as the micro lock just locks the brakes on. They want a separate brake or hold system just like you find on all other vehicles your regular brakes and a parking break :crying:

·
Super Moderator
3,065 Posts
I don't see any way of doing this, other than something simple that could press on one of the tires, like some low buck go karts I've seen. In an automotive application where disc brakes are being used, the park brake is usually a mini drum brake inside the rotor, and is purely mechanical. Achieving that would take some serious custom work.

Would a tire press style brake be acceptable?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Everything is complete and find out at the last minute about the independent brake system.
I've called 5 Polaris dealerships and none of them have an answer. I even wrote out local State Representative and was sent a long list of Motor Vehicle codes that we have to comply with. I asked them to revisit the rule. The separate braking system on two wheels is the issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And thats what they had on the older rangers but now at least on the general the shaft is so close to the skid plate there is really no room for adding a rotor. I just bought a mechanical caliper something like would be used on a go kart to see if i can find room to modify the caliper bracket to add that onto the existing rotor. If not I am looking into getting aftermarket calipers with both hydraulic and mechanical options

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is proving to be even more difficult than originally thought. Has anyone actually successfully made their ride street legal in michigan under new laws?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Sounds to me like they really don't want these units to be street legal in Michigan according to how this law is written. Why do they have to make things so darn difficult?

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Registered
375 Posts
You would still have to fab a mount and a cable to acutate, but a band brake on the rear driveshaft would work.

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a fully complete parking brake set-up from my 2017 general 4 that is for sale. The cable could be shortened to work for a 2 door general. My machine is street legal and the brakes passed the state inspection. I’m in southeast Michigan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a fully complete parking brake set-up from my 2017 general 4 that is for sale. The cable could be shortened to work for a 2 door general. My machine is street legal and the brakes passed the state inspection. I’m in southeast Michigan.
Would this work on a 2019 polaris ranger xp 1000. I'm working on getting it street legal

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious if you found a solution to the parking brake issue.I'm in the same boat.
Facebook: street legal side x side. Ph734-395-7927
I am told they will install or supply parts to comply with the state requirements. They are by Jackson mi.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
You would still have to fab a mount and a cable to acutate, but a band brake on the rear driveshaft would work.

Tim
Tim, but since all newer pickups and automobiles come with disk brakes having one would require a second caliper or simply a locking lever that actuates the Master Cylinder. Much like the
Spring Brake Thingy does.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Ya know...I think I would look into the law/regulation that calls for a separate Parking Brake. What is the intent? (could make contact with the law/regulation writer for this)

Perhaps its being mis-applied. Perhaps they are reading into into it that that it must be completely separate from the "normal brake system". But in all the vehicles I've owned and worked on, since the coming of disc brakes...they are a single system. Just uses a lever or pedal to actuate the Master Cylinder and then has a locking system to keep it engaged until released. And that is the very same thing a Spring Brake Thingy does.

So, what is the difference? When was this law/regulation put in place? Back during the days of brake drums???

I'd push like **** for an answer on why its got to be different. Using a Spring Brake Thingy is going to hold your machine in place after being applied, even on a very steep hill.

Just my thoughts,
Pirate

·
Registered
2020XP4
809 Posts
My Volkswagens used a cable to a lever on the back of the caliper. Newer Ford F150's use an electronic actuator to engage the brake pads on the rear calipers. Ford and many other truck manufactures used a small drum brake within the brake rotors. I have never worked on a vehicle that activated the master cylinder for the parking brake. I think they want a true Emergency brake, not just a parking brake. A mechanical system you can use in the event of a brake system failure. Just how I took it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am really close now. Waiting on the state to come and do the final inspection and place new vin. I did have to rework my brake setup. Initially I had one caliper on the LR brake rotor using the locked differential to stop the second tire. That was not going to pass so now I have a second brake caliper on each rear wheel and should have no problems now. I will update in the next week or so after my final.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts