Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok Will one of you guys please design and build a park brake without a handle under the steering wheel for the general.. Yes they work. But yes they look stupid. Sorry.:surprise: I have a great one in my RZR you push on the brake with one foot and push over a spring loaded lever with the other foot it works awesome.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is that the Pawltector parking brake? Had one on my Ranger and loved it. I checked into it and they believed the RZR or Ranger model would not fit the General.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I think it is. Im thinking of buying one and modifying it to work. The one in my other rig is great. Especially on hills or trailering. I hate putting it in or taking it out of park on a incline. CLUNK! CLUNK!

·
Registered
408 Posts
That looks like the right idea! So, what model did you buy (or part number) and what did you have to do to modify it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
That looks like the right idea! So, what model did you buy (or part number) and what did you have to do to modify it?
I started with a pawl protector rxutv-xp-1-ptb-a for a RZR xp1000. I just guessed as to what I could convert. If I had it to do over again I would just buy a 3/8 clevis and start from scratch. The pawl protector is aluminum which prevented welding since I don't own a tig........yet.
I cut off the flange portion that bolts to the studs on the firewall. I then used a piece of 1.5 .125 angle iron and welded a piece of strap that then bolts to the original pawl protector. That should do it but I didn't like the way the aluminum flexed under load (when I had it engaged to the brake) I removed the part that engages and locks the brake and remade that piece out of mild steel that doesn't flex.
As anyone who's ever made stuff knows, I had this on and off probably 30 times modifiying it before I was happy with it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I started with a pawl protector rxutv-xp-1-ptb-a for a RZR xp1000. I just guessed as to what I could convert. If I had it to do over again I would just buy a 3/8 clevis and start from scratch. The pawl protector is aluminum which prevented welding since I don't own a tig........yet.
I cut off the flange portion that bolts to the studs on the firewall. I then used a piece of 1.5 .125 angle iron and welded a piece of strap that then bolts to the original pawl protector. That should do it but I didn't like the way the aluminum flexed under load (when I had it engaged to the brake) I removed the part that engages and locks the brake and remade that piece out of mild steel that doesn't flex.
As anyone who's ever made stuff knows, I had this on and off probably 30 times modifiying it before I was happy with it.
Looks good! Thanks for the details.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Can't believe RXUTV isn't coming out with a Pawltector for the General....but then again, I can't even find their website now....

Pirate

·
Registered
408 Posts
Rusty Nut Garage, you should start making these for us! I don't have a welder or I might try to make one. Early on, I contacted RXUTV (or someone that sold them, can't remember) to see if they had a model to fit the General. They asked for some pictures and decided there was not a model in stock that would fit and they would have to build a new one for the General. I don't know if they are making one, but someone should.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any company had build one yet?

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
You could always use a lever lock for the brakes would be easy to install can get them that's electric also!

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Check this out! Might work for the General.

Spring Brake Thingy

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Use this and use like a chock cable mounted in the dash to pull it on and off! a lot of ways to do it Just takes some thought. :wink2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't believe RXUTV isn't coming out with a Pawltector for the General....but then again, I can't even find their website now....

Pirate
I contacted them. They said they were in the process of making one but did not know when it would be available. They said they would contact me when it was ready for purchase. Not sure why but does not seem like a priority for them right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I contacted them. They said they were in the process of making one but did not know when it would be available. They said they would contact me when it was ready for purchase. Not sure why but does not seem like a priority for them right now.

Would think its because like an automatic trans. in a car or truck the General has park! How often do you use a park brake in a automatic car or truck for most all never! You simply put it in park! :wink2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is true for most people but not for me I have always used the park brake in every vehicle every time I have ever parked. Using the park brake to me is a habit just like wearing a seat belt or using your turn signal. Using the brake regularly prevents transmission damage and ensures your park brake continues working unlike using it once in awhile and the cable seizes up or you engage it to occasionally use it and it either will not release or your cable breaks. Why would anyone not want to use some thing that is a good idea?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts