Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned from reading some posts on here that the orange and blue Generals are actually painted? Is that really true? Don't they know that these things are made to go off road and are going to be used in the woods? Where I live and ride, in a matter of just a few weeks a General would end up looking like sh*t with all the scratches. Painted? Really? I'm REALLY disappointed in learning this as I was really close to purchasing a Premium model but decided to wait as I wanted to see if they might come out with a green or camo version as I ride mostly in the woods. But if and when they do come out with other colors, are they just going to be painted as well?

Man, this really changes everything for me. I guess I'm at square one now. A neighbor recently purchased a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in camo which I had a chance to ride in last week. It looks nice and was nice to ride in and I like the idea of having the flip up seats but I wasn't too impressed with the bench seat and controls. I haven't ridden in a General yet but the cockpit looks much nicer. But man, I can't have a painted side by side. Dang...I'm pissed!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many say the painted is most durable. Are you just assuming it isnt?
I know playing on the trails did to the paint on our $35,000 Jeep. And I'm sure that Chrysler has a better paint process and paint than what Polaris does on this General. And there is a owner on this forum who made a comment on another thread that his General looked beat up after only two weeks of riding because of the scratches to the paint.

So no, I'm not assuming I know what will happen. Doesn't make much sense to paint the plastics on a side by side that is designed to be a workhorse with a dump bed and made for off road use. I could see maybe the RZRs being painted so they are more of a sport quad that might see more use in the dunes and open trails. But for the General or a Ranger? Doesn't seem to be the smartest move. I know Honda and Yamaha doesn't paint theirs. I'm not sure about anyone else. Does Can-Am paint the Commander? Is there another brand that paints the plastics on a off road/utility side by side or is this just a cost savings method Polaris uses?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I come from Can-am and the painted plastics did not hold up to brush at all on my first one. The 2nd was yellow all plastic and I liked that much better. This is the biggest item holding me back from buying one right now. I am not sure that I trust it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own a Sportsman 850xp and 1000xp with painted plastics and its holding up good so far. The 850 has about 8000 miles on it, the 1000xp around 1000. I mainly ride trails, few mud holes, no deep water. While out in the bush it overall hurts whenever you are getting too close to sticks, branches and small trees.
I'd have no problem with the painted plastics, as long as the quality would about be the same as on my sportsmans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nothing is going to hold up too hard gouging objects painted or just molded in color but have 3 painted polaris models that take general brush or weeds scuffs much better than molded in color does, another good thing about the painted model the scuffs can be buffed or waxed out, they don't come out of non painted plastic!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jsped I did not think about buffing it out. How difficult is this process. If you have done it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just learned from reading some posts on here that the orange and blue Generals are actually painted? Is that really true? Don't they know that these things are made to go off road and are going to be used in the woods? Where I live and ride, in a matter of just a few weeks a General would end up looking like sh*t with all the scratches. Painted? Really? I'm REALLY disappointed in learning this as I was really close to purchasing a Premium model but decided to wait as I wanted to see if they might come out with a green or camo version as I ride mostly in the woods. But if and when they do come out with other colors, are they just going to be painted as well?

Man, this really changes everything for me. I guess I'm at square one now. A neighbor recently purchased a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in camo which I had a chance to ride in last week. It looks nice and was nice to ride in and I like the idea of having the flip up seats but I wasn't too impressed with the bench seat and controls. I haven't ridden in a General yet but the cockpit looks much nicer. But man, I can't have a painted side by side. Dang...I'm pissed!!!
If you just can't stand the thought of a painted model, buy the base model come spring if you like red that is, they will probably release more colors too before we know it!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Titanium has several scratches on the doors. Has anyone ever sprayed the body with bedliner or similar things. Just a though I had... I also though about using some of that clear protector material. Like the stuff they sell for car hoods. They have it large sheets that could cover the whole door.

·
Super Moderator
4,144 Posts
Jsped I did not think about buffing it out. How difficult is this process. If you have done it.

Its not that big a deal but if you have never done it talk to a body man. There is different grits of rubbing compound and a few dif. pads to chose from and very easy to burn threw a paint job with the wrong grit or pad or moving to slow with a buffer! Just saying Be carful! :wink2:

Reactions: Trapper and MMX

·
Registered
129 Posts
The pieces I painted on mine have held up perfectly to anything I've thrown at it, including a couple rollovers. I buffed up my doors one time and made them look really nice after a few hundred miles of use. It's about time to buff up my drivers door, then fix and paint my passenger door due to a tip over. I'll hit my door with a buffer in the next few days and write up a few tips for the guys out there who want a little shine back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, I bought a 2017 Deluxe 2 months ago. It now has twelve babied nonbranch contact hours on it. A large patch of black paint bubbled and flaked off near door handle. I would have to say that Polaris's paint process needs substantial work!

I am taking photos and sending to dealer who was unsure that Polaris would take care of it. Will keep all posted.

I already had it to the dealer for a tranny oil leak. Inadequate RTV job from factory.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Do you think that camo on the pioneer is molded in? I'm pretty sure its just a decal, which will look HUGELY worse when a branch snags it that paint would.

My DLX has been in the woods quite a bit. The passenger door black area looks the worst, but it's nothing that some scratch-x wont fix in 10 minutes with a bit of elbow grease. Of course, if you flop the thing on its side, paint, plastic, or decal will wind up looking like crap.

Tim

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think a wrap is more durable than paint. I also think with Camo scratch's are less pronounced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts