Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General 1000
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Today was a really hot and muggy day. We went for a ride with our 21 General, and after about 4hrs of riding temp out side jumped up and so did my general. It would heat up and die. Did this couple times. Didn't want to chance popping my engine so my friend towed us bacl to our truck and trailer. Yes i am running a big lift and big tires and portals to help with that. I also have a clutch fan keep the belt cool. Debating on buying a larger SATV rad. My friends defender had no issues with the same set up i have.
Tire Vehicle Car Plant community Wheel

·
Registered
2019 rc
271 Posts
Any possibilities of air in the system? Been riding in 100deg. Heat last couple a rides, 2019 rc with heater, was running hot 211-215 just installed AA Tune and temps went down at least 10-15 deg. That was the main reason for installing. Do you have a tune? I can't remember from your build sheet. Definitely sounds like air in system.

·
Registered
2020XP4
2,017 Posts
Just splashing through puddles and getting dirty water on the radiator will start to build up a silt like mud in your radiator. You may need to just thoroughly clean the radiator. I thought mine was clean because it never over heated here in eastern Ohio. I went to Michigan and ran the sandy snow mobile trails. I found out I needed to clean my radiator better. After a thorough cleaning and getting all kinds of fine silt out, it never over heated again that trip. Riding the same trails.

Definitely wouldn't hurt to bleed the system again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any possibilities of air in the system? Been riding in 100deg. Heat last couple a rides, 2019 rc with heater, was running hot 211-215 just installed AA Tune and temps went down at least 10-15 deg. That was the main reason for installing. Do you have a tune? I can't remember from your build sheet. Definitely sounds like air in system.
I have the AA tune installed via dynojet v3 tuner.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just splashing through puddles and getting dirty water on the radiator will start to build up a silt like mud in your radiator. You may need to just thoroughly clean the radiator. I thought mine was clean because it never over heated here in eastern Ohio. I went to Michigan and ran the sandy snow mobile trails. I found out I needed to clean my radiator better. After a thorough cleaning and getting all kinds of fine silt out, it never over heated again that trip. Riding the same trails.

Definitely wouldn't hurt to bleed the system again.
I will definitely try that. Thank you all for the advice. Most appreciated

·
Registered
2022 General XP Deluxe
102 Posts
My 22 had a problem getting hot yesterday on the sand. Was only 80 degrees out. Got up to 234 once. Radiator is as clean as new. Also running an AA tune.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris General 1000 Premium
654 Posts
Shoulda bought a can-am🤣🤣🤣,
I know there's one in every crowd, just messing with you, sounds like mud in rad or air bubbles in system

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just got back from my Arizona/Grand Canyon trip. My 20 XP4 ran hot the entire trip. I had an overheating issue a couple of months back on a WV trip as well. Found the main cause for the issue on that trip to be a dirty radiator. I did the Gilomen tune which causes the fan to come on at 190 degrees after the WV trip. I also cleaned the radiator really well (used AC condensor cleaner multiple times until water was clear) prior to the Arizona trip. The heating issue seemed to have cleared up while riding around home as the system did what it was suppose to do which is get up to 190 and then drop to 180 when the fan comes on. In Arizona the temp would hit 190 and the fan would come on but the temp would continue to climb. I managed my rpms and speed to counter the rising temps and allow the system to maintain between 190-200 degrees. I went as high as 208 before pulling off and letting it cool. We had a 21 XP4 nearly identical to mine never ran hot. His worked perfectly and we went down the same trails. I know it doesn't hurt it to run it that hot for short periods of time. However, my reasoning for concern is if the temp doesn't drop after fan coming on then the system obviously can't keep up. Therefore, I have a overheating issue. Having to continuously watch the temp gauge was exhausting, aggravating, and took away from the overall experience somewhat. Not to mention having a nervous wife on a 800+ mile trip. After reading this and given the experiences on the prior two trips, I've decided to do a full-on flush, wash, and replace with engine ice with emphasis on purging the air in the system. If that doesn't work I will be looking at purchasing an aftermarket radiator.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shoulda bought a can-am🤣🤣🤣,
I know there's one in every crowd, just messing with you, sounds like mud in rad or air bubbles in system
lol I would have no problem buying a can am.
only 2 machines id ride would be canam or polaris

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going to flush rad and wash rad out. hopefully this will solve the problem.
Thank you everyone on their tips and suggestions most appreciated.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I will ask the simple question first :) does the fan engage while it is overheating? On my 2020 General XP4 failed the 30 amp circuit breaker fuse early on and overheated quickly. Some times it would reset, but eventually I had to replace it.

·
Registered
2021 General
182 Posts
I have the same machine and had same problem the radiator was clogged. It looked clean but lots of stuff in the coils, I used air conditioner foaming coil cleaner and it worked great. Now the fan issue it only works when its hot and the engine is running not when hot and in the on position, going to try a new relay.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,713 Posts
A couple things...
1. As deanrowski wrote. Get a UTV Inc. "Fan Override kit". Then as I do, when you roll out of camp, flip the switch "ON". The radiator cooling fan will come on and run until you switch it "OFF".
I run my all the time. Just to keep the temp in the 178 to 187 degrees. I'm running just a few degrees warmer now as my new transmission has the 12% gear reduction.
2. Give some consideration to moving to Engine Ice coolant. Its a premix and supposedly good for 10 degree cooler temps. I'm running it!
3. The SuperATV HD radiator is a very nice piece! Aluminum and the most beautiful TIG welding I'd seen for a while. It does come with the correct brackets for install. I designed the lower one.
4. Getting the air out of a Prostar engine is different than an 800 engine. No need to raise the front end as the air collects in the top of the cylinder head. I just posted it a few days ago. But...
take a 1/4" drive ratchet and an 8mm socket. When the engine is cool...so you don't burn your fingers. Under the aluminum, flexible, heat shield over the exhaust head pipes, and right behind the cab...it has a raised portion on the Driver side of heat shield, just sorta bend that up, under it feel around until you find the bleeder screw. It ain't very big and it's between the exhaust ports. Put the socket on the bleeder screw and loosen it.
If there is air the system you will hear it hissing as it escapes. If you get all the air out you will feel a bit of coolant come out. Close the bleeder screw, don't get carried away and overtighten it.
Take the machine for a ride and see what the temp does. A friend had to do four heat, cool, bleed cycles to get all the air out. Last week I did mine and it only took once to get all the air out, but
it did hiss for more than just a few seconds.
5. For me it was get a Gilomen ECU, or send yours in and have the full program installed. Your machine will run so much better. No missfire issues...even if you've never had this experience, you
won't. Terry richens the Air/Fuel mixture and that good for about 10 degrees cooler running. So much more that you can read on the Gilomen Innovations website.

I did learn about washing the "dust" out of the radiator. The key here, use just a garden hose, or a garden how with a spray nozzle. Using a pressure washer will bend the tiny fins and close the air
passages. Amazing how much dust came out of that radiator. Gotta get some of that AC Condenser foam cleaner.

Keep in mind that long uphill pulls will make temperature rise. Mine will get to as much as 201 degrees. A good reason to move from "H" to "L". If necessary slow down some. May still be hotter
than you're used to, but top out and the temp will start to drop immediately.

Just the Pirate writing another book on the forum.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts