Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this for their nav system? I know they’ve had a hunting app for awhile but I’ve been reading about their off road app.
Anyone got it?
Wondering if it works in Baja?

Super love my LeadNav set up but I’m always looking.......... nothing else to do ....right

Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
786 Posts
I might download it and give it a test, The reviews look to show some potential. It looks free to start, is there a pay upgrade.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Before things went off the rails I was contacted by an onX rep asking for assistance with local trails. She offered me a free subscription but it slipped my mind. Guess I better follow up with her. Thanks BC!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use this app for hunting and I absolutely love it. Once we go up to MI to ride this summer I will try the app. I'll try to remember to do a write up on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I downloaded the app and registered for the free 7 day trial. Went riding yesterday and used it instead of BCN Pro and really liked the topo/sat view. Creating a 'line' on the website was very easy and then just followed it once I was ridding. Tracking function seems to be pretty good and was easily able to download/upload files to/from Basecamp. Overall very easy to use! I still have a few days on the free trial but most likely will purchase it. I've tried setting up a 'line' using the sat view for this weekend's trip to Mexico (where there are very few trails mapped, mostly roads), but I used the sat view to follow the trail (hopefully I dont run into to many closed fences).

Dotted red line is what I drew on my pc before heading out. Purple is my track.

The pink line is in Sonora Mexico where I 'planned' a ride.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good, I posted on RaceDezert.com to the ONX rep about Baja a while back and they say they’re working on it.
For now I’m using LeadNav and I love it but you never know????????

It looks like you’re running the coast Puerto Penasco? El Golfo? San Carlos? Guyana’s??

Thanks for the update

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
10 Posts
South of Navojoa, Camahuiroa to Yavaros (near the Sonora/Sinaloa border).

I've been talking with folks here about a ride to Copper Canyon later this year!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive been using the app for a while now. Last weekend i used it in Montana and it works great when you have signal. I suppose theres a way to go off line like you can with On x maps but i havent tried yet.
Anyway, i like the fact that if you tap a
Specific trail it'll tell you how long that trail is, name of the trail if it has one,what vehicles are allowed to run that trail like dirt bike,sxs,overland,ect...and some trails will say 50" only, or any size, and even horseback and hike only, so it makes it a bit easier to plan a ride by tapping the trails and seeing what and where you can take your machine.
Its an app ill have forever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I snapped a couple screen shots to show examples of what it list when you tap on any trail. You'll notice it tells you what width of machine is capable to run that specific trail. Or, no machines at all

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mudslinginfool (dang I love your forum name)

Questions
What are you running the app on? Cell phone? Tablet? IPad?

Reason I’m asking is: you stated it works until you lose the signal. What type of signal are you losing? Cell signal or satellite signal?
Most new phones and most new tablets or iPads have a satellite chip in them and should work almost everywhere.
If you’re running your app on cellular it will lose the signal more often.

You may be able to pair your phone or tablet with an external satellite antenna by using a Dual SkyPro 160, but it may not work on the ONX app. I’d ask The ONX guys will this work?

I use a SkyPro with my IPad and it pairs with LeadNav and you can adjust how often you want the SkyPro to ping your position on your LeadNav route you’re on. I’ve got mine set for every thirty seconds and for a super tight trail with tons of off shoot trails I go down to ever 10 seconds. Your screen shows an almost continuous position on the back map.

Another question: does ONX allow you to upload the back map on your route?
The reason most GPS apps don’t do this is because of the enormous amount of gigs bytes the back map consumes on your device

LeadNav allows you to select portions of the back map so when you’re on a remote trail you basically have a Google Earth type back map of your trail. Sounds confusing? It is but when get it, it’s pretty awesome. I know ONX has been working with the off road racing community to integrate their products for racers and I know they’re working on Baja stuff.

If you want to see how LeadNav works, they have You Tube classes on their site free. Good stuff

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use the onX offroad app quite a bit riding the trails in northern MI works really well when using the tracking feature. Signal hasnt really been an issue when i have run it on my galaxy phone or my tab A. But i also try to download a map of the area before I go out as well so if need be I can use the offline function.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bajacharlie- i use my Iphone. Jness17, posted above about downloading the map prior to going which will work offline I guess but I've never tried it yet.
Most the trails ive been on i had signal but this particular spot i was riding was mostly in deep canyons.
Ive not heard of the leadNav and skypro, ill check them out though, thanks.
The on x offroad app has been great for what ive used it for which is simply knowing where i was and what trail i was able to take with my machine. Other than that i have not ventured to use the other features it offers. Still learning with it.
Now my onXmaps for hunting i know pretty well, at least i think i do. Seems i find something new every time i use it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s one of the bummers about Baja. We’re on the back burner with a lot of the GPS guys. I bought a Magellan TR7 GPS for down here and no back maps available, didn’t work very well. When I went to Utah the thing was awesome and all the features worked. But I’m a Baja guy for life, so I sold it to one of the members

What the Baja off road racers do is pre-run the race course using LeadNav on their iPads and transfer the LeadNav files into their Lowrance GPS for race day. Why? Because the Lowrance unit has is a bigger brighter screen and the function buttons are actual buttons because when you’re bouncing down a trail doing one hundred mph a touch screen is impossible to use.

Good to hear you’re using ONX, please keep us updated on your learning progress

Cheers Baja Charlie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts