Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that replacing the oil filter on the General can be a pain in the butt so I wanted to get any tips or tricks from the forum. Oil filter changes on my RZR are very simple so curious about the General. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just took apart the rear passenger inside fender to be able to reach the filter to unscrew it. Hardly any room if you don't do that. Also read some guys remove the tire but I did not.

Located in northern Sask, Canada

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
234 Posts
IMO...

If you take anything apart you're causing yourself more work for nothing....

Get yourself a 6" rachet (3/8") and the oil filter socket that fits the polaris oil filter, i got mine from my dealer. Tip the bed up. Then all you have to do is reach in from the passenger side and break it loose with the rachet/socket. Turn off by hand and replace it. It can be a bit difficult to get the new one started, but it's not terrible by any means. Then turn hand tight and give it 1/8- 1/4 turn with the rachet/socket to be sure it doesn't vibrate loose.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP 4 Ride Command
152 Posts
IMO...

If you take anything apart you're causing yourself more work for nothing....

Get yourself a 6" rachet (3/8") and the oil filter socket that fits the polaris oil filter, i got mine from my dealer. Tip the bed up. Then all you have to do is reach in from the passenger side and break it loose with the rachet/socket. Turn off by hand and replace it. It can be a bit difficult to get the new one started, but it's not terrible by any means. Then turn hand tight and give it 1/8- 1/4 turn with the rachet/socket to be sure it doesn't vibrate loose.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Maybe if you are a 6'6" dude......my 5'9" ass has to take off the inner fender....LMAO!!!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just did my full fluid service again on my G4 a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure why folks have so much issue with this.

The best tip I got was to pop the three plastic rivets on the XL flares on the drivers side, and also pop the vent off the clutch cover, and there it is. If you think you need to see the filter to remove it, this is one of the easiest ways. Once you get a feel for where it is, you can reach in without.

But this tactic does allow you enough room to use a cap wrench or strap wrench like I use.

The same amount of crying seems to be for the fluid up front and in the trans. The right tools make this a cake job. Obviously draining is just pulling the plugs, but filling it is so easy if you use a "slippery pete" pump or the like.

Good luck guys, work smarter, not harder. This is really not rocket science. And if anyone really wants to complain about a hard oil change, tell me you owned a Yamaha Phazer four stroke sled.

·
Registered
253 Posts
However you get it done, look carefully at the base of your old filter and make sure that the rubber gasket came off with the filter. If the gasket stuck to the engine block, you will "double gasket" the filter, and it may leak oil. You really don't want t lose your engine.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Pirate where are you on this????
Tell em it’s pretty easy
Step one: stand on your head
Step two: comb hair
Step three: rotate arm backwards
Step four: dislocate elbow
Step five: grab filter and rotate
Step six: remove filter
Step seven: take break, cuss, drink whiskey
Step eight: repeat process
Step nine: drink whiskey
Step ten: go to bed

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS it’s a pain the a_ s

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Agree with Barker above. We have 2 sets of plastic ramps for our Duramax pickup, we use them to drive all 4 wheels up on and it leaves lots of room underneath to get at things.
Works slick if changing skid plates too.

Reactions: lowandslow

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General XP 1000
7 Posts
I found it to be a pain in the a$$ too. Went and got the cap style oil filter wrench. Only enough room to click wrench one time. Couldn’t get enough leverage to break that first filter loose. But did finally got it. When I heard the RZR has a access door on back wall of cab to get at filter, I had to ask why in the world didn’t the General get that. Would have made that a piece of cake.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Would have made it a lot more handy if they had that access door.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
There's a guy named Russell that sells a very nice wrench that sort of fits over the oil filter and makes for easy loosening and tightening of the oil filter.
I've written to him this evening to see if he's still making them. I'll share that info as soon as I have it.
Here's a pic of Russ's oil filter wrench. Not quite a perfect fit. But it works!
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Wood Bumper

Do your oil changes with the engine/oil cold!! The oil filter tips down when threaded on. So as soon as you shut the engine off, the oil filter starts draining back into the cases. So you shouldn't
have a single drop spill.
You do need to pay attention when tightening the oil filter. I've had on time that I didn't get the filter tight enough...and it was leaking all over everything. Tighten a bit more...no more leak.

Now, as to BajaCharlie's notes, asking where I am on this...

Step one: stand on your head - too busted up, can't do that any more. Got Autoquip lift to get the Genera 42 inches off the floor.
Step two: comb hair - nope, don't have any hair on top of my head. Had to move to bifocals when I turned 40 and that's when hair started falling out.
Step three: rotate arm backwards - just the right one. Think I've torn something loose in the left shoulder.
Step four: dislocate elbow - going for cortisone shots in both elbows second week of December. Shouldn't be a problem after thant.
Step five: grab filter and rotate - But remember, it turns lefty-loosy to get it off.
Step six: remove filter - be sure it's drained or you'll have oil all over the exhaust trying to get it out of there!
Step seven: take break, cuss, drink whiskey - Jack Daniels Honey please.
Step eight: repeat process - Not quite. Reach in with a clean terry cloth type rag and wipe the filter sealing surface clean. Put a thin coat of oil on the new filter rubber gasket.
Put a new paper towel over the oiled gasket and get the filter over and through all the "stuff" until you get it to where it threads onto the cases. Remove the towel, thread the filter
on to the nipple and tighten 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Righty-tighty.
Step nine: drink whiskey - Yup, Diet Pepsi and Jack Daniels Honey. Now, get out your Flo Tool and thread it on one of the 1 quart oil bottles. Place it in the oil fill cap on the valve
cover, turn the outer piece 1/4 turn and the oil flows out of the bottle and into the engine. When the bottle is empty. Turn the outer piece back 1/4 turn and lift out of valve cover.
Repeat for the second quart and the half quart. Put the oil fill cap back in place.
Step nine point five: clean up using Kresto hand cleaner
Here is the info on the Flo Tool
Font Line Cylinder Rectangle Parallel

Had two of them since I bought the 1984 Softail. Still got 'em. Still working great! After an oil change I wash them in the solvent cleaner.
So...here I am Charlie!!!
Pirate

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Being raised on a farm/ranch back in ND and having tons of machinery to work on, we always changed oil hot, so I still do.
What I do now is I do it late in the day by taking the plug out of the oil pan and let that drain overnight, in the morning I take the oil filter off as my friend Pirate describes above, that way oil filter isn't hot. Either way is probably correct but do what works best for you.
I have the same oil filter tool also and the cap style. Use what works best for you.

Reactions: Buelligan666

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's a guy named Russell that sells a very nice wrench that sort of fits over the oil filter and makes for easy loosening and tightening of the oil filter.
I've written to him this evening to see if he's still making them. I'll share that info as soon as I have it.
Here's a pic of Russ's oil filter wrench. Not quite a perfect fit. But it works!
View attachment 73238

Do your oil changes with the engine/oil cold!! The oil filter tips down when threaded on. So as soon as you shut the engine off, the oil filter starts draining back into the cases. So you shouldn't
have a single drop spill.
You do need to pay attention when tightening the oil filter. I've had on time that I didn't get the filter tight enough...and it was leaking all over everything. Tighten a bit more...no more leak.

Now, as to BajaCharlie's notes, asking where I am on this...

Step one: stand on your head - too busted up, can't do that any more. Got Autoquip lift to get the Genera 42 inches off the floor.
Step two: comb hair - nope, don't have any hair on top of my head. Had to move to bifocals when I turned 40 and that's when hair started falling out.
Step three: rotate arm backwards - just the right one. Think I've torn something loose in the left shoulder.
Step four: dislocate elbow - going for cortisone shots in both elbows second week of December. Shouldn't be a problem after thant.
Step five: grab filter and rotate - But remember, it turns lefty-loosy to get it off.
Step six: remove filter - be sure it's drained or you'll have oil all over the exhaust trying to get it out of there!
Step seven: take break, cuss, drink whiskey - Jack Daniels Honey please.
Step eight: repeat process - Not quite. Reach in with a clean terry cloth type rag and wipe the filter sealing surface clean. Put a thin coat of oil on the new filter rubber gasket.
Put a new paper towel over the oiled gasket and get the filter over and through all the "stuff" until you get it to where it threads onto the cases. Remove the towel, thread the filter
on to the nipple and tighten 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Righty-tighty.
Step nine: drink whiskey - Yup, Diet Pepsi and Jack Daniels Honey. Now, get out your Flo Tool and thread it on one of the 1 quart oil bottles. Place it in the oil fill cap on the valve
cover, turn the outer piece 1/4 turn and the oil flows out of the bottle and into the engine. When the bottle is empty. Turn the outer piece back 1/4 turn and lift out of valve cover.
Repeat for the second quart and the half quart. Put the oil fill cap back in place.
Step nine point five: clean up using Kresto hand cleaner
Here is the info on the Flo Tool
View attachment 73237
Had two of them since I bought the 1984 Softail. Still got 'em. Still working great! After an oil change I wash them in the solvent cleaner.
So...here I am Charlie!!!
Pirate
Sounds like too much work, think I will just buy a new machine when it needs oil filter change.:D:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Being raised on a farm/ranch back in ND and having tons of machinery to work on, we always changed oil hot, so I still do.
What I do now is I do it late in the day by taking the plug out of the oil pan and let that drain overnight, in the morning I take the oil filter off as my friend Pirate describes above, that way oil filter isn't hot. Either way is probably correct but do what works best for you.
I have the same oil filter tool also and the cap style. Use what works best for you.
I have a cap style I use on my RZR so it looks like with a short extension it may work on the G also. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found it to be a pain in the a$$ too. Went and got the cap style oil filter wrench. Only enough room to click wrench one time. Couldn’t get enough leverage to break that first filter loose. But did finally got it. When I heard the RZR has a access door on back wall of cab to get at filter, I had to ask why in the world didn’t the General get that. Would have made that a piece of cake.
Yes, the RZR access makes it very simple to replace. Seems like they didnt give the G enough thought.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts