Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy oh boy I had a night. What started as a simple oil change took me on a fun/painful/frustrating night. Hopefully some of my pain and suffering will help future general riders and if not maybe you'll get some laughs along the way. Started by purchasing oil change kit at dealer for $42. 10% off for beginning of hunting season. That's great! Go by advanced auto and pick up new oil drain trey and head home to do my "25 hour" oil change. I don't have 25 hours but my dealer told me I needed to change it at 25 hours or 4 weeks because they have additives in the oil that breakdown over time? I figured zinc but who knows. Ok so start my rig and run it for a couple minutes to warm up the oil. Get under my rig and use a 6mm Allen to break open the drain plug and as it starts to flow out the drain plug falls into the oil (remember this for later). All oil drained I reinstall plug and get up to get to the oil filter. Holy moly Polaris could you put it in a worse spot? Right next to your exhaust header and clutch intake I believe. So I remove the entire bed to gain access to the oil filter and fight for about 45 min trying to get a good spot and grip to remove it. Finally loosen it and get it off. At this point I'm cursing Polaris up and down. Ok I install new oil filter with some oil on the threads. Brand new oil in the motor and I'm ready to take it for a spin. Hooray my oil change is done..wait for it. Go on a ride around the neighborhood. Get back to the house and look down into my drain pan and there it is gentleman..my cooper washer..oh dang. Look under the unit and already saw a drop of oil on the ground. No question about it I've got to un screw it and install washer..can I do it quickly and maybe not lose much oil? Let's try. Let it sit for a while to cool but boys that oil burned straight threw my 9 mil gloves and had me flipping out under that unit..you laughing at me yet? Ended up letting it all drain out. Installed back on correctly with copper washer and thought for a quick second about pouring the oil back in but absolutely couldn't bring myself to doing it. I guess I'll be buying another $42 oil change kit tomorrow. The old me wouldn't have hesitated for a second pouring that oil back in but the current me says no way mister..not in that $18,000 machine. So on a bad note it was another rough day in the garage but on a good note I'm glad I found the copper washer and got that straightened out and I'm glad I learned a little more about my unit as far as the oil change goes. Maybe this was entertainment for y'all as you got to step into my upside down life for a min. Thanks for reading guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I take it you didn't change the fluid in front dif. and trans/rear dif. ? or saving it for another nightmare! Sorry!

Reactions: MMX

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did not change those but I have quite a bit of Polaris AGL? Fluid. Is that why's used on the general? It what was used on my ranger

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
One of the bad things about the Polaris oil change kit...it doesn't include a new copper compression washer. So I buy them 10 at a time, on line, and stash some in the lube cabinet, some in the toolbox in the Toyhauler, and a couple in the toolbox I carry in the Lock & Ride box in the bed of the General.

Polaris makes an oil filter wrench, but my dealer carries another brand that costs less. (Bought it on Sept 9th...no where did I put it?)

Did find that of the 8 sizes of oil filter wrench AutoZone carries...none fit the Polaris filter. No way I can get my ChannelLock oil filter pliers in there on the filter.

I have decided to do my oil changes with the machine cold. Don't think for this small a system it will make much difference.

Polaris wants you to inspect the engine case, oil filter, seating face. Yeah right...with either my video probe or maybe a mirror. So I take a clean microfibre towel, wet a portion with carb cleaner, and wipe the oil filter face, threaded inlet and everything else as best I can...sight unseen.

I also use a drain pan that has a screen over the reservoir, so that if I drop the plug...its on top of the screen, not deep in the old oil!!

Just thoughts...

Pirate

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info pirate. I'll ask my dealer about the filter wrench. Glad others think it's a pain in the arse to get that filter off.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Make sure the gasket comes off with the old filter and the new one has a gasket also. Lightly oil the gasket, never heard of oiling the threads.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheeto I guess what I meant by oiling the threads was getting the new filter and some new oil and lubing up the face of the new filter. I've was always told to do this.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Great story. Thanks for sharing. BTW you don't have to take the whole bed off. You can release the pin on the bed shock and gain more clearance over the engine. I removed the belt exhaust tube to get better access to the filter. I think this is in the manual. I have had the issues with the filter wrench described by Pirate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I removed the bed shock and to me there is still almost no room to work. Much easier with the bed off. I also followed the manuals instruction. I might could get it all done without removing the bed but to me is so much easier. Got it filled up again today and I'm ready to ride this weekend. Good news is while I was messing with the oil change looking at the "plumbing" of the general it seems it will be rather easy to snorkel in the future.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I did my first oil change I started with the engine oil filter. Then I unscrewed the drain plug; but the oil came out purple....
Purple engine oil?
Then realized I had taken out the transmission plug by mistake....

·
Registered
117 Posts
I notice you stated using a 6 mm Allen. All plugs on the machine are a 45 or 50 Torx not Allen. I wish they would have placed this fact in the owner's manual as several have used aliens and stripped plugs.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Reactions: Dino. and Jprimes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steve, you're not crazy. My rear diff and engine oil fill/drain plugs are allen/hex heads. My front diff plugs look like half allen/half torx abominations. The broaching at the top looks like a hex head, but as you travel down deeper into the recess of the plug, it changes to more of a torx shape. I'm chalking it up to poor quality control. A T-50 fits more securely in my front diff plugs than the allen/hex wrench does. I would buy replacements but the prices from Polaris are obscene....something on the order of $25 per plug. Really??? Partzilla has them for ~$17...still too steep... I'm just going to pretend that they are supposed to be that way... :)
Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
Okay then I am older now (46) with bifocals so trying to look up laying on your back under a machine is difficult to see. Well let me tell you that Torx fit in there really well like it was the correct type. No harm done next time I will try the metric Allen trick :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
By the way I went ahead and removed the two rear hinge bolts on the bed and layer it on the floor. I learned along time ago on vehicles if you are able to quickly and easily remove things hindering your access you are best off removing them. I also wanted to look around at everything really well. I also wanted to actually remove the bed and reinstall it just to see how easy or hard it would be for future reference (it was easy). Once the bed and belt vent tube were removed I had no issues reaching and removing the filter by hand. Also ultimately I just like taking things apart to see what I can fabricate or change. FYI I am a fabricator, welder and tubing bender.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Okay then I am older now (46) with bifocals so trying to look up laying on your back under a machine is difficult to see. Well let me tell you that Torx fit in there really well like it was the correct type. No harm done next time I will try the metric Allen trick :)

I got you there use to pick on wife a little for the glasses thing well cant see anything up close anymore without my reading glasses (50) :nerd:. And at least my front dif. plug and oil drain plug if you remove them and look into the allen hole you can see the marks were they are pressed or stamped and they look like torx. And even thoe they are allen I use a torx bit a lot of the time because I have socket torx bits sets and easy they do fit maybe better after a little wear on the allen hole!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts