Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my 2020XP a week ago. I had the dealer install an OEM Glass windshield and wiper kit since it was a free install for accessories. We went for our first longer ride today and got a chance to try the wiper. Wiper worked good but as the day went on the windshield started to leak at the top and progressively got worse. I looked at it a little closer and noticed that the windshield was actually slipping down opening up a void at the top where water kept coming in. So I adjusted it but it continued to slide down. Probably due to the added weight of the wiper kit. When their engineers design somthing you would think they would consider the cause and effect of other components. Looks like another crappy Polaris design. You would think OEM would fit like a glove. It's my own fault though because this isn't first time I've been burned by polaris. Anyway, I have a few ideas how to correct it but wanted to see if anybody else has had this same issue and what did you do to correct it. I appreciate your input. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The sliding down windshield is a well known issue and some of the other members had a simple work around with adding some wedges on top of the stoppers .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anybody have pictures of the wedges?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The part needs to be 3 inches wide and mine is around 3/8 thick. It also need to stick out at least as far as the windshield face so the frame doesnt slide over it while flexing. Countersink and drill for a few large screws for plastic, size and kind they use on the roof plastic, to hold in place so hidden by the windshield when installed. Otherwise is might wedge in between it and the plastic. Made mine from scrap aluminum laying around.

Your thickness requiment might vary but make sure the top rubber seal supports the top of the frame so it doesn't flex while trail riding and that its centered in the frame recess before measuring thickness needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. That will work. Do you have any water infiltration where the wedge is at?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
GeneralWill,

here is the best solution I've found and implemented: Getting started..

Get a couple 12" or so prybars, or big flat blade screwdrivers and a few small pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood/OSB.

Remove the hood, loosen the bolts in all four of the windshield clamps...very loose, but not off...

With help, use the prybars to move the windshield as far up as possible. Use the plywood, prybars, whatever to get the windshield to stay all the way up the front of the chassis.

Put a piece of tape, say 2" blue masking tape horizontal across over where the lower edge of the clamp will be locate.

Now, engage the top clamp on either side over the ROPS chassis down tube...where they are typically in place and tighten them just snug.

Double check to make sure the windshield is still all the way at the top and clamps at horizontal.

Now use a pen to draw a line across the tape at the bottom edge of the clamp. Get the screw you want to use. I used 8mm left over from some accessory. Measured the diameter of the head of the screw, divide by two. Use a straight to draw a line below the one drawn for the clamp, but half the diameter of the screw you're going to use. Center punch for drilling on that second line, and where it will be fully underneath the clamp.

Drill the correct size hole for tapping threads to match the screws. Tap the hole. It's not really thick steel on the ROPS tube, but enough.

Put the screw in and run it in tight.

Roll the clamps over, making sure the clamp is horizontal and sitting atop the screw.

Like this:
GeneralWill,

here is the best solution I've found and implemented: Getting started..

Get a couple 12" or so prybars, or big flat blade screwdrivers and a few small pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood/OSB.

Remove the hood, loosen the bolts in all four of the windshield clamps...very loose, but not off...

With help, use the prybars to move the windshield as far up as possible. Use the plywood, prybars, whatever to get the windshield to stay all the way up the front of the chassis.

Put a piece of tape, say 2" blue masking tape horizontal across over where the lower edge of the clamp will be locate.

Now, engage the top clamp on either side over the ROPS chassis down tube...where they are typically in place and tighten them just snug.

Double check to make sure the windshield is still all the way at the top and clamps at horizontal.

Now use a pen to draw a line across the tape at the bottom edge of the clamp. Get the screw you want to use. I used 8mm left over from some accessory. Measured the diameter of the head of the screw, divide by two. Use a straight to draw a line below the one drawn for the clamp, but half the diameter of the screw you're going to use. Center punch for drilling on that second line, and where it will be fully underneath the clamp.

Drill the correct size hole for tapping threads to match the screws. Tap the hole. It's not really thick steel on the ROPS tube, but enough.

Put the screw in and run it in tight.

Roll the clamps over, making sure the clamp is horizontal and sitting atop the screw.

Like this:

One on each side, DONE. If the screw begins to wobble some...in will go a rivet nut.

Pirate

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We think alike. This will be the route I go. Thanks Pirate and Midwestmetal for your suggestions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that the window sliding issue is solved does anybody have ideas that will fix the windshield wiper issue of not sweeping as far as it should over the passenger side. It currently stops right in the middle of the passenger’s view. Thanks again Polaris! I wouldn’t mind this as much if I didn’t have to hear it from the passenger about not being able to see. She’s the one that suppprts this activity so that’s pretty critical that she is as comfortable as possible. You would think the engineers at Polaris would see all the post on here an act on all the low hanging fruit that would be a relatively minimal cost to engineer into the machines. I haven’t had a chance yet to take the cover off the wiper to see if there’s a way to adjust it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Now that the window sliding issue is solved does anybody have ideas that will fix the windshield wiper issue of not sweeping as far as it should over the passenger side. It currently stops right in the middle of the passenger’s view. Thanks again Polaris! I wouldn’t mind this as much if I didn’t have to hear it from the passenger about not being able to see. She’s the one that suppprts this activity so that’s pretty critical that she is as comfortable as possible. You would think the engineers at Polaris would see all the post on here an act on all the low hanging fruit that would be a relatively minimal cost to engineer into the machines. I haven’t had a chance yet to take the cover off the wiper to see if there’s a way to adjust it.
There's a guy on here that can fix it. At a cost of course. I personally went with the Ford wiper. $20 at the junk yard and sweeps almost a full 180 degrees.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can help you there, $80 bucks return shipped, tat is usually a week, dozens of happy customers so far. Just need the motor with box shipped to me. You can also install a 15, versus the 13 inch OEM wiper, for ever more viewable surface. I also can add a wiper delay circuit to the box for those misting day rides, 90 extra. PM me for details if interested.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Hmmm....I'm not sure I want wife, er BOSS, seeing everything I do. If BOSS could see everything, riding in the rain wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Midwestmetal, but I am interested..got a few pics of how you do this? As usual, want to make sure yours is a quality product.

Thanks,

Pirate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts