Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another place as I didn't know exactly which forum I was supposed to post this.

So, I have been wanting a SXS for years now. I have two kids and my wife and I want to start riding. My girl has special needs but LOVES to be outside and ride in our little 2 person go kart with her brother. I have been looking at 4 seaters....all brands. I keep coming back to the General 4.

I have found a 2017 G4 for sale. It has 450 miles and looks pretty clean. Few scratches here and there, but, who cares. Thanks to this forum, I know some of the things to look for, doors coming apart, bent a-arms, front end noise and so on. Am I missing anything?

So here is my question..........The guy that has this has a used wholesale car lot. He took this in on trade. As of now, I have him talked down to $14,300.

From what I can find, this seems like a good deal. I will be clear, it has ZERO upgrades/accessories. I don't mind this, as I can add as I have the $ to do so.

Do I keep looking or, is this a deal worth taking?

I know you guys get this type of post all the time, so, in advance, I apologize. It's just that most on here seem very helpful and willing to share thoughts and experiences.

This being my first SXS purchase, I'd like to hear from experts.

Thanks,

drsmitty74

·
Registered
207 Posts
I posted this in another place as I didn't know exactly which forum I was supposed to post this.

So, I have been wanting a SXS for years now. I have two kids and my wife and I want to start riding. My girl has special needs but LOVES to be outside and ride in our little 2 person go kart with her brother. I have been looking at 4 seaters....all brands. I keep coming back to the General 4.

I have found a 2017 G4 for sale. It has 450 miles and looks pretty clean. Few scratches here and there, but, who cares. Thanks to this forum, I know some of the things to look for, doors coming apart, bent a-arms, front end noise and so on. Am I missing anything?

So here is my question..........The guy that has this has a used wholesale car lot. He took this in on trade. As of now, I have him talked down to $14,300.

From what I can find, this seems like a good deal. I will be clear, it has ZERO upgrades/accessories. I don't mind this, as I can add as I have the $ to do so.

Do I keep looking or, is this a deal worth taking?

I know you guys get this type of post all the time, so, in advance, I apologize. It's just that most on here seem very helpful and willing to share thoughts aznd experiences.

This being my first SXS purchase, I'd like to hear from experts.

Thanks,

drsmitty74
You have picked a great ride for your family but IMO he is high for a bare bone machine. This time of year with the rebates and probably even some new old stock 2018 models I checked around before pulling the trigger on that one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking, believe me. So what would you consider a fair price for this being that it has zero accessories/upgrades?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good afternoon; I would do my due diligence to make sure the machine is sound and don’t hesitate in pulling the trigger if it passes.

The price seems decent based on the research that I did when I picked mine up. The person who I bought it from was asking $14K but I talked them down to $12K. It was bone stock with 19 hours on it and while it ran great it was Dirty! I mean, moldy seats dirty. I know it sounds funny but that he actually made me like the sale better because I did not feel like he was trying to polish a turd if you know what I mean.

You may have a little bit more room on the price if he is willing to negotiate but it depends on how bad you want it and if you are willing to walk away and look for another one. I have seen some great ones for sale here with a ton of accessories and I can tell you from experience the accessories are not cheap, so getting those on a used unit goes along way on your budget.

Before I purchased my 2017 G4; my 4 wheeler vehicle was an 06 Honda rancher (still have it and love it), It was great for working on my property but going out for long drives was boring.

At first I thought that I wanted a golf cart since most of the riding around me is street riding with some off-road trails. Then I started looking into a polaris Ranger. I looked at a few but nothing was exciting and then I ran into a “for sale” on a G4. I had never seen one before and it was a no brainer for me. I know that there are other more exciting sxs vehicles out there but the G4 is very versatile.

I have a special needs son and he loves to ride on it with me; I let him bring his iPad and he catches Pokémon in places where others probably won’t get into often.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply edmonster. I know what you mean about the accessories being $$$. I have found a few, and they were LOADED, but the price was always approaching the $20K and I just can't pull the trigger. Yes, I know I will eventually get to that dollar amount when I accessorize, but it;s the money up front.

Maybe I'll get him down a few more $K and feel even better about it.

Love hearing about you taking your son out with you. One of the few things my daughter gets to enjoy in life.

Thx for the input.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Personally i have never bought a vehicle or toy without talking to the previous owner. See if they will give you the info to contact the previous owner. When we trade a vehicle in i always tell the dealership it is ok for someone to contact me about our vehicle. Doesn't mean someone is/isn't going to tell you the truth IF something is wrong with the traded in rig. If you find out you really like the unit offer 12 grand. You know they low balled the guy trading it in and the dealership isn't going to lose money on it.
Winter is coming and they will want to dump it more than likely too.
Where are you from as locations this time of the year really matter also.
One more thing if you pull out a wad of $100. bills it is hard to turn down cold hard cash when they know you are serious!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. I look forward to this community and the years of fun ahead of me and my family.

Safe travels to all of you!

·
Super Moderator
4,095 Posts
Welcome to the site drsmitty74!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Greeting from El Paso

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
drsmitty,

I have a 2016 Deluxe. Had the dealer install the Polaris accessories I wanted. Glad I did that!! If you really get into the sport, like me, you can expect to be somewhere north of $35K before very long. \

This forum is an excellent place to learn about your machine, what works, what doesn't and what you get the most value for the $$ spent.

One thing you really need to look at on a 2017 is whether it has the CV Joint driveshafts. I believe Polaris made the change from U-joints to CV Joints somewhere in 2017. This is critical!
The U-joint shafts vibrate and make noise like you can't believe and you don't want!!

On a whole different aspect...Kawasaki is supposed to be working on their KRX four seater. Having the "4Lock" option will be very handy!! The Polaris machines have an "on demand" system. The rear wheels have to lose traction for the front to lock up and the front wheels start pulling. As soon as the rear wheels regain traction, the front disengages. So actual four wheel drive is almost nonexistant. Perhaps in actual 4X4 for a mile in 5000 miles? The Kaw has a true lockup that allows you to be in 4X4 when you choose. Something to look and and consider.

If you want the General and can do it...take a bank check for $12K or maybe $12,500 to the dealer, made out to him, and I'll bet he sells it to you. Money is hard to walk away from. If you have to finance, perhaps go in with the financing paperwork for the amount and see if the dealer bites.

Ummm...welcome to our addiction!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
463 Posts
So this thread is over a month old. I wonder if he ever bought it? The fact that it didn't have a bunch of up-grades would actually be more appealing to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So this thread is over a month old. I wonder if he ever bought it? The fact that it didn't have a bunch of up-grades would actually be more appealing to me.
I actually found a 2018 with 300 miles. Had roof and front+rear windshields. Rig was immaculate. Got it for $14K.

Loving it, but my wallet is not due to accessories. LOL!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts