Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Welcome PoliticalGame
I have a little noise but I have about 1300 miles including plowing snow I think it is belt noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to take in the dealer as its getting its servicing for the first 24 hours is there any way anybody can check there is up and see if it has the same noise?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
So we were listening to the noise while you had the rear wheel off the ground. It makes the same noise when both the rear tires are on the ground and you're driving he machine at very low speeds? Correct?

Do one test for us. A bit of work, but excellent troubleshooting....

Get both rear wheels off the ground, remove the rear tires, remove the rear brake calipers, now put the the rear tires back on and see if the noise is still there.

Rear brakes can tend to create noise due to the wear on the pads. The pads can tend to wear at one end, and that can create "clicking" at the rear. I believe this is because the rears are always pointed in the same direction. The front brakes wear differently as the wheels are always being turned in different directions and that sort of evens out the wear on the pads. For RZR 800 machines, adding springs to the rear calipers, as some of the Ranger models have or had, eliminates the problem

The other thing I can think of is the slop in the splines at each end of the rear axles. The rears have a cir-clip where the rear axle plugs in. Is it still there?

Just a few thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I put my head in there and the sound is definitely the "slop" located at the rear differential. I'll have to review for the clip. Also having it serviced soon so I'll see what they say as well . Soon to update!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: just got back from the dealer and the noise in the video is in fact confirm to be normal he said the general has slightly more play than a lot of the razors but they're also built tougher he said he's tore apart two already from people burning the clutch is out when pulling stuff before breaking in.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
wow another normal unnormal sound cool :surprise:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To touch base on this weird noise. It's also heard in the rzr turbos and n/a. It's in short because it's belt driving to a driveline. The belt grabs around 1800rpms and releases causing the drive (trans, deferential and axels) to clank.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My brake pads where rattling like crazy in mine I had to put springs in between them to take the slack out of them and the rattling went away. Drive up on a hill and shut the general off and roll off the hill in neutral with the motor shut off if you here the rattle put a little brake pressure on and see if it goes away. That is how I figured mine out.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Its amazing how much vibrating brake pads can make. And the springs are the answer. I put 'em on the rear brakes within a month of getting my General.

Pirate

·
Registered
125 Posts
Speaking of belt noise my 2018 General 4 started making a noise which sounded like it was coming from the front left differential but it also made the sound toward the rear end. Took it to dealership. Only 190 miles on it. Was told the drive belt was worn out! Huh? They asked how I drove it. I told them I normally drive under 30 mph most of the time. They said I should stay in low all the time driving that speed. Anyone else encounter this issue. I wasn't briefed on this before I got the General. They replaced the belt. Is this a true statement to drive in Low all the time under 30 mph? When do you use High gear? (Silly question I know) How do you folks manage this? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
125 Posts
One other thing they didn't charge me for the replacement but said it was a wear item.....ok the machine isn't even a month old so I expected them to fix the issue(which they did) glad of that!

·
Registered
590 Posts
It all depends on the terrain and conditions you are driving in. Most of my driving is between 20 and 30 MPH and I'm always in high gear and most of the time in Turf mode. I had over 3500 miles on my original belt before I changed it. Of course I live in ND and it is extremely flat and I try to stay out of mud. When conditions warrant, I use low. From my experience, most belt damage is done under a loaded condition (mud, rocks, incline, etc) and you start off slowly in high gear. Even driving onto a trailer in high gear can be very bad for the belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So we were listening to the noise while you had the rear wheel off the ground. It makes the same noise when both the rear tires are on the ground and you're driving he machine at very low speeds? Correct?

Do one test for us. A bit of work, but excellent troubleshooting....

Get both rear wheels off the ground, remove the rear tires, remove the rear brake calipers, now put the the rear tires back on and see if the noise is still there.

Rear brakes can tend to create noise due to the wear on the pads. The pads can tend to wear at one end, and that can create "clicking" at the rear. I believe this is because the rears are always pointed in the same direction. The front brakes wear differently as the wheels are always being turned in different directions and that sort of evens out the wear on the pads. For RZR 800 machines, adding springs to the rear calipers, as some of the Ranger models have or had, eliminates the problem

The other thing I can think of is the slop in the splines at each end of the rear axles. The rears have a cir-clip where the rear axle plugs in. Is it still there?

Just a few thoughts,

I had a similar noise that started a month ago and continued to get louder. I was sure it was either a hub bearing or rear crack case. I would jack it up and run the cart in low and high, nothing... No noise. Had my wife drive whilei hung myself of the back lessening to pin point. Lind story short, at least for me it was an easy fix. The bottom most bolt that holds the clutch cover on was loose. This noise has been driving us crazy for over a month now.

Just a thought, hopefully it helps someone save some time and money

Pirate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts