Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
22G4DELUXE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, new to the forum and trying to figure out how it works.70 years young and computer illiterate! i have a 22 G4 deluxe that wont go forward or reverse. and out of warranty by a couple of weeks, primary clutch blew up, dont know why. weight retainer bolts failed on 2 weights, this is what made a nasty sound as parts were floating around in the cover witch is all scraped up and worn internally. i replaced the primary and belt, both clutches are engaging but will not go forward or reverse.any ideas?

· Registered
1,480 Posts
You mentioned you replaced the primary. What did you replace?
This same thing happened to me when I blew a belt and what I found was the primary sheeve would not open or close all the way because the belt had scarred the sheeve shaft and would not allow the primary to slide in or out fully and I couldn’t get forward or reverse.
examining the sheeve revealed sheeve shaft scarring from the belt when it expired so I took steel wool and a 3m pad and worked the scarred area until it was clean. This allowed the sheeves to fully open and close and the General would go into gear.
Cheers Baja Charlie

· Premium Member
22G4DELUXE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only thing I can think of is an axle pulled out of the diff? Make sure you are not in turf mode and see if it will move then?
youre rite on the money ! driver side popped out. messed up the splines. i had to file splines so trans would accept the beat up axle. need to replace axle.

· Premium Member
22G4DELUXE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Premium Member
22G4DELUXE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mentioned you replaced the primary. What did you replace?
This same thing happened to me when I blew a belt and what I found was the primary sheeve would not open or close all the way because the belt had scarred the sheeve shaft and would not allow the primary to slide in or out fully and I couldn’t get forward or reverse.
examining the sheeve revealed sheeve shaft scarring from the belt when it expired so I took steel wool and a 3m pad and worked the scarred area until it was clean. This allowed the sheeves to fully open and close and the General would go into gear.
Cheers Baja Charlie
yes i replaced complete primary clutch because it exploded. broke 2 weight bolts, bent the center shaft and engine side sheath, destroyed roller bearing, rollers in spider, and scared up the cover pretty bad internally. plus weights are messed up as well.im thinking on full replacement with Dura clutch primary and secondary. hope its worth it.lol

· Registered
2022 G4 Delux RC Ghost White (ordered 9/1/21) & 2017 Sportsman 570
508 Posts
youre rite on the money ! driver side popped out. messed up the splines. i had to file splines so trans would accept the beat up axle. need to replace axle.
Hey I'm glad you found it, and it's not a broken trans or something, axle's aren't too bad to do at all. Too bad your dealer is so sh!tty ugh.........

I haven't heard of this until recently I think your the second or third person....very odd. My 22 has been ok thus far with some pretty hard riding and even some air time.......odd...... I suppose it all matters on how strong the clips are and maybe even how the suspension is adjusted I don't know!

· Registered
527 Posts
yes i replaced complete primary clutch because it exploded. broke 2 weight bolts, bent the center shaft and engine side sheath, destroyed roller bearing, rollers in spider, and scared up the cover pretty bad internally. plus weights are messed up as well.im thinking on full replacement with Dura clutch primary and secondary. hope its worth it.lol
Shoot me a message, if you decide on the DuraClutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts