Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recommend checking everything on your new General's before you take it out. My Deluxe has been in my garage for 2 weeks while I have been adding accessories and going over everything. Today I checked the fluids before I took it out for the first time only to find the front differential was dry! Fortunatly it only had 0.2 miles so hopefully it didn't damage anything. I only unloaded and put in garage.

I first noticed the plug came out hard all the way and was dry. I thought it was stripped but it was not. Just no oil on it. Then I could not find any visible signs of oil in the differential. I filled it, but didn't notice how much it took so not sure it was completely dry or just very very low. I'm thinking it was dry because I could not find any oil. I also noticed there was no green quality control check mark on the plug like every other bolt and plug has on it.

We think our dealers check everything out, but I recommend you don't trust them. Do it yourself. Check all fluids, bolts, lugs, etc. very thoroughly before your first trip out on your new machine. I learned this when I bought a Ranger, took it home, began tearing off parts to add the doors, only to find the rear roll cage bolts were missing!

I also found the wiring harness that goes to the voltage regulator was not routed properly. It was pinched between the radiator and the radiator shroud instead of going through the hole on the shroud. Maybe no big deal, but easy enough to fix.

I am sure there are many good dealers out there but everyone gets busy and forgets something once in a while. Check it all yourself.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH boy, I'm on it! Thanks!
Hope you don't find the same. By the way, Alaskan 47, I hope you didn't take that picture of that bear yourself, yikes!:surprise:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is unbelievable! We have some black bears and some get large, but nothing like that.

Reactions: Cropchaser

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey bluebass, could you get me a pic of the wiring harness. Started to do a problem guide for dealers here in Germany. Since no GENERAL has arrived yet it'd be nice for everyone to be at least prepared to the most common problems (plastic panels, dash, winch vs. front dif, ...).
Maybe dealers might even have the chance to ask questions on their first GENERAL mechanic training. ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey bluebass, could you get me a pic of the wiring harness. Started to do a problem guide for dealers here in Germany. Since no GENERAL has arrived yet it'd be nice for everyone to be at least prepared to the most common problems (plastic panels, dash, winch vs. front dif, ...).
Maybe dealers might even have the chance to ask questions on their first GENERAL mechanic training. ;)
Sure. I have included two pictures after I moved the wiring harness into its proper location. One picture shows the harness going through a hole in the radiator shroud. This is where it is supposed to go. The other picture has an arrow placed on it showing the slot that allows the harness to reach the hole in the shroud. My harness was originally pinched between the shroud and the radiator above this slot (slight above the arrow). In fact, you can still see the deformation in the plastic shroud where the harness was.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
With regard to the front diff....and all the noisy ones on XP1000 machines...

I will be taking mine out as soon as I get the machine and sending it to Jeff at JJ and A Racing to have it blueprinted for $100, the cage replaced with a billet model, and a new torsion spring installed. Wrong PC or I would have all prices.

The blueprinting reduces some clearances from 0.035" to 0.040" down to 0.0005". Bought a new, blueprinted XP900 from Jeff for my 2009 RZR 800...absolutely quiet. Can't hear it or feel it when it engages and disengages.

Money very well spent, and will spend it on the General as a soon as I get possession!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sure. I have included two pictures after I moved the wiring harness into its proper location. One picture shows the harness going through a hole in the radiator shroud. This is where it is supposed to go. The other picture has an arrow placed on it showing the slot that allows the harness to reach the hole in the shroud. My harness was originally pinched between the shroud and the radiator above this slot (slight above the arrow). In fact, you can still see the deformation in the plastic shroud where the harness was.

I kept forgetting to check mine and went out today and the wires were ran just like yours and not in the proper cutout. Moved the wiring harness and tied up. Thanks for the post Bluesbass :smile2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got 100 miles on mine and when checked differntial had no fluid. Think just add fluid and go or what be y'alls suggestion. I only used 4 wd for at most 2 miles of the 100 miles.

·
1,560 Posts
Got 100 miles on mine and when checked differntial had no fluid. Think just add fluid and go or what be y'alls suggestion. I only used 4 wd for at most 2 miles of the 100 miles.
Ok, before you get worried verify that there is absolutely not one drop of fluid in there. What I have found out is that Polaris puts in the recommended amount of oil and it does not show up pulling the plug and sticking your pinky in there. Me ,I want to see it or feel it.
If its empty and no seal leaks or damage to the case I'd be pounding on my dealers door. Draining it will tell you what's in there. Or add a little and see if it pours out. you need expansion room in there and it is vented so adding a little to verify shouldn't be an issue. Glad your checking these things!

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
40 Posts
Plug was dry. Didn't see anything wet looking shining with light. Dealer is 2.5 hours away. They said they just going fill with fluid. And listen for noise. So debating. Just doing that My self. Versus driving over. They service guy said either way it is covered under warranty.

·
1,560 Posts
Document time date and who you talked to. Drain it to know. If it's got fluid great. Replace with recommended lube and sleep easy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to hear that. I actually did not know if there was any in there, but it sure didn't look like it. I used a firearm inspection light to look in there, but didn't actually stick a wire tie or anything down in the hole to see if there was oil. Gears looked to be dry.

By the way, I think the drive shaft is always turning some part of the front diff even if you are not in AWD. Anyone verify? My concern would be that there was a lot of rotation in there if there was no oil. I agree with Alaskan47's advice.

·
Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
I checked mine (thanks to seeing posts on here about finding empty diffs) and it was very low or empty, topped it off, let my dealer know and have heard nothing back from them

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is there an oil level plug that can be removed to check oil level ? if a little oil runs out its good if not add until it does.:grin2:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts