Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Graphite G4 1000 RC stage 4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so just wanted to get some feed back on the “Do and Don’ts” for first trail ride in Moab.
I’m just now planning a quick trip with wife and kids the first week of August and I’m going in blind. Ive been mud riding for years, but I rode mountain trails once last year just south of salt lake on business trip and fell in love. This was a Rental bike so I didn’t have to worry about much. Now I’m dragging my 21XP across country for some Utah riding. After few days in Moab I will head up around south salt lake for some riding there as well.

So any advice on where, who, or what to do would be great. Please let me know must do things. Im trying to make the most out of it for the family.

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
665 Posts
I heard a lot of people warn about going to Moab in the summer. Extremely hot and dry. Just saying.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Trail rides in and the morning are great, but yes. It will be Hot. Take lots of water.
Also, highly suggest entering the word ‘Moab’ in the Search Community. There are lots of prior threads on this topic.
Enjoy….it’s an awesome area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just came back from a week there. Watch out in town if you’re not street legal & have a license plate. Cops are being a pain, even if you stick to the 15 mph limit.
Don‘t miss out on 7 mile rim trail. Metal masher is also good if you’re just getting used to the vehicle. Poison Spider is a little advanced, but a lot of fun. its hot, but just keep hydrated & use a lot of sun block.
we love the Apache Motel. It’s on 4th St, I think. Off the main drag & close to Fins & Things, which is a great intro to Moab wheeling.
Have a ball. My General has been there 4 times & loves it (I’ve been for 22 years)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you all for the advice. I’m trying to do all the research I can in a short amount of time. I’ve found All trails which helps get a good description of the trails. I’ve looked for the Utah trail maps book but they are sold out.
I’m from Mississippi and we are not able to have street legal bikes. So I will have to trailer around town it seems.
So I still have questions and still looking at old post for some answers.

Is there a map that you can suggest that will show trails together? For instance All trails shows you the trails but doesn’t show when you leave one how to get to another close by?
I’m trying to plan out a route and when to ride each trail. I have three days to ride and trying to make most of it.

Also is there any map program you guys/ladies use that works with the ride command.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 3rd Edition: Charles Wells, Shelly Mayer: 9781934838259: Amazon.com: Books. This is the book i use & it says in stock.
I used Gaiagps & all trails gps on my tablet. Cell service is good on most trails, so ipads ok, but a cheap android (with GPS) was my choice for dirty trail use. About $90. I don’t have ride command, but if it’ll import, all trails has good maps of the trails I mentioned.
I would make a point of starting w/ fins & things to get a feel for the slickrock, it’s wonderful. And 7 mile rim & probably metal masher. Hope you enjoy

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Also look up Funtreks on the web. They have excellent books, maps and GPS chips for Moab. Very helpful
Most of the ATV/UTV rental shops sell them if you don't get them before hand.

BE sure and stop at the Visitor Center downtown or any Maverik gas station and get a Utah OHV sticker. It's required and reciprocity doesn't exist.

Pirate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Thanks for all the tips and past reviews. I’ve been studying up on trails and think I have it mostly mapped out. I’m unsure how much time to a lot for each trail so if you have some advice feel free. We have 2.5 days for riding.
I’ve read some reviews and really not sure what else to choose. I’m an very experienced MUD rider but lack any knowledge of rock climbing. Also remember I’m not street legal and will trailer.

Right now we are planning
Fins
hells
Chicken run
Maybe Gemini?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts