Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I might as well make an intro thread even though I currently do not have a General, but am planning on pulling the trigger within the next month.

I am from the Southwest Ohio area, and have had a Sportsman for the past 9-10 years, and loved riding it. I bought that when I was single, and didn't have to worry about anything else, but since then, I have picked up a +1, and got engaged, so that kind of put a damper on me being able to ride because I really hate riding wooded trails with a passenger. After some conversation, and thinking.... a SxS is the logical solution so we can both go riding and get out together and enjoy instead of me having to leave her behind or us be uncomfortable while riding. We went to a dealer and sat in RZR, Ranger, and General, then test drove the General. That in itself pretty much determined that the General was the perfect fit for us. The General Titanium is the package we want.

My next line of though is what accessories do I want to suit our wants the most. Below are a few of the upgrades that I have decided on, or on the fence with, but I also want to have some of them put on when my machine is assembled, rather than have to tear it back apart to install.

Lighting: I was looking at the LED headlights, and was on the fence between getting a set of them or having an aux lightbar on the front of the roof. I think I am leaning towards the light bar and the stock headlight setup out of courtesy for other riders on the trails. I do not want my standard running lights to be blinding, but I would have the option of extra light from the lightbar if conditions allowed. I am also thinking of putting some sort of lighting facing the rear in case I need to back up in the dark, or for gathering firewood or something in the middle of the night.

Interior: I am wanting to get a tablet of some sort and mount it to the center plastic space that is unused. I am looking for an android tablet with full GPS capabilities, but also something that I can get a rugged, water resistant case for and securely mount to the machine. I am all ears with the setup you guys are running. I would also like to be able to use it as a music player with bluetooth capabilities so I can run music and gps off of the same unit.

Windshield & Enclosure system: I am considering the flip up windshield and a rear window. Where I live and ride, it can be quite warm during the day, and temperature can rapidly drop at night, so I like the idea of having the option for an open or closed windshield. I do not plan on fully enclosing the machine, right now anyways. What are your thoughts on that style of windshield? I do not intend on putting a heating system in either.

Other: I plan on getting the full skid plate and a-arm guard kit soon.

Any input, suggestions, or questions, I am all ears. Hopefully I can get some time to run back up soon and get her ordered. I also need to decide how I am going to haul the darn thing. I went and looked at toy haulers, and all the ones I looked at didn't seem to have a big enough area for the machine. I am wanting one that has a separate area to lock the machine up in while we are sleeping inside, and not have to have it sitting outside to pull beds down. I may just get an enclosed trailer and do the tent camping thing until a more expensive toy hauler is in the budget.

Long winded, I know but I look forward to at least lurking here, if not contributing where I can.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
welcome joe sounds a lot like others ride and mine on here!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome Joe. You've come to the right place for info. I say led light bar is def the way to go for front and back. I'll be running a 20" single row spot/flood combo on the front and a 8" single row on the rear. As far as tablets go I cannot help you there as gps is not a big concern for me. I've absolutely loved my general so far(only two days with it). Tilt windshield is the way to go for hot and cold conditions. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your rig when you get it. As far as hauling it goes I would def look into about a 20-24 ft enclosed trailer and setting it up how I wanted. I've looked into it and it would be the route I would go. You could camp out of it if you stuck an a/c unit on it and haul some tools for repairs as well as set it up for primitive camping. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Joe,

I got the full glass windshield with electric wiper...and get this...a windshield washer nozzle, switch and reservoir!

Got the glass rear windshield.

Hate the dust with a tilt up windshield, so went the full glass way.

The stock headlights in our General Deluxe work very well. Actually headlights that work in the dark!!! Not at all like the RZR 800 we have. So I don't think I need the LEDs...at least not yet.

Get the Factory UTV UHMW three piece skid system and install it with Rivit Nuts. Never have a problem with it again! Got the rear A-arm guards too. Put on a set of the orange SuperATV high clearance front A-arms, so no guards available. Went with RCV ball joints on the SuperATV A-arms.

I advise getting a "Deluxe" General. Then a whole lot is already included.

We added the heater defroster accessory.

Added the front/rear camera mirror...wouldn't do that again. Back to my GoPro cameras.

The Lock N Ride box for the General is pretty awesome...carries everything I want....

Think about adding the "street legal" equipment.

Just thoughts off the top of my head...have already added a whole lot more to our General Deluxe....

Pirate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wouldn't the flip up windshield keep dust out when it is in the full closed position, or am I misunderstanding how it works? Reason I don't always need it down is because sometimes I just crawl through wooded trails on private property, so not always dealing with a bunch of other riders stirring up dust.

I am planning on getting the titanium, is there anything included on the deluxe that isn't included on the Titanium?

Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
when you have a windshield closed and drive on a dusty road there is a vortex created at the rear of the roof and sucks air (or dust) in from the rear into cab. a rear window limits this and keeps the vortex created behind rear window and lessons the dust. Not sure how to explain it hope this helped!

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
when you have windshield open air flows threw cab and no vortex!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when you have a windshield closed and drive on a dusty road there is a vortex created at the rear of the roof and sucks air (or dust) in from the rear into cab. a rear window limits this and keeps the vortex created behind rear window and lessons the dust. Not sure how to explain it hope this helped!
I understand the whole vortex concept. I plan on having the rear window installed at all times. I was more asking if there were any benefits of a solid, permanently installed windshield as opposed to a flip up model, because Pirate said that he had lots of dust problems with the flip up style. I plan on having the windshield closed in raining, dusty, or cold conditions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.