Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-
I put some Sedona Rockabilly tires (30x10r14) on my 2018 General. I use it for a mix of on and off road. It gets pretty squirrelly at higher speeds. I thought at first that I had a broken link on a sway bar, but I didn’t.
The tires run at around 8 psi. Could the side walls be giving way that much to cause the instability? Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can try bumping up the tire pressure to 15 psi and try it. Simple test to eliminate the tires. My thoughts is 8 psi is low anyway but not familiar with the tire you are running. If that is the issue try going down a few psi at a time to see what works for you. Mine works best at 10 psi in the front and 12 in the rear

·
Registered
188 Posts
Definitely needs a wheel alignment. They look straight from the front by eye because of the way the front V's in thats why so many of them are out. It visually tricks the techs into thinking its straight mine looked straight standing in front. Used a tape measure and i was 1 and 1/16 inches toed in

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was having issues feeling like the tires rolling over on sidewalks in corners and realized I was way too low on tire pressures. I’m in a 2020 XP4 running 30” tires and the manual calls for 22 psi on rears and 16 up front. I know most of the stuff I read on here guys are running 8-12 psi, but there’s so many variables and different types of riding it’s hard to compare. I raised pressures to match manual and machine became more predictable. Will play with pressures from here to see if I can soften it without sacrificing performance. Point is, the pressures you need might be quite a bit higher that other setups. I’m no tire expert, so take it for what it’s worth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It ended up being a combination of tire pressure and toe in. I bumped them up to 20psi and it helped some, but it was still squirrely. I took the front wheels off and bolted two 30" pieces of angle iron to the lug nut studs. It was toed out almost 2.5". I left it with about 1/8" toe in and that solved my problem.
Thanks to all for the insights!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great to hear you fixed your issue. I’ve found that on my stock tires 9 psi works great on rough rocky trails but on roads or hard packed trails 15 psi is much better. I wouldn’t go too high on psi because it will negatively affect your ride quality. ( rougher ride ) the best thing to do is play with different psi settings and go with what works and feels the best for you and your ride.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks. It ended up being a combination of tire pressure and toe in. I bumped them up to 20psi and it helped some, but it was still squirrely. I took the front wheels off and bolted two 30" pieces of angle iron to the lug nut studs. It was toed out almost 2.5". I left it with about 1/8" toe in and that solved my problem.
Thanks to all for the insights!
Do you have a pic of this test? I'd like to see how you bolted them on. I think I have the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
if you have a friend you can measure from the center flashing on the tires front and back at the center of the wheel to find offset. This isn't perfect but it will show you if you are way off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts