Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a new 2019 G4 this week. I had a 2012 Commander I purchased used and couldn't wait to get rid of it. This will be my first time to purchase a brand new unit and wanted to get thoughts and opinions on what options to add such as windshields,roof ,sound system, and if heater is really needed. I live in north Mississippi and it dose not get that cold very often. Also can I expect the dealer to come off the asking price at all or throw in some accessories or at least discount them? Asking price on the unit is $18995.00 which is a good bit lower than the 2020 and I really like the white color. Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions. Looking forward to hitting the trails soon.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
john

You probably won't get a better deal than that for a brand new G4. But which model is it?

Accessories...well, you need to understand this is an Addiction, so there is no end to the accessories you "Need".

Have the dealer install:

Pure Polaris glass front windscreen

Pure Polaris Wiper/Washer kit.

Pure Polaris glass rear windscreen

The very first thing I did was pull the front diff and send it to Jeff at JJandA Racing Products and have him blueprint it and do his recommended upgrades. About $500 an quick turn-around.

Next this is a set of Factory UTV UHMW skid plates. Search for my post on installing with Rivet Nuts. It very worth the small amount of trouble.

Send your ECU to Terry at Gilomen Innovations to have his complete Program installed. Ends the potential for the Misfire Detection issue and improves hp by 8-9, motor runs about 10 degrees cooler,
and the machine runs so much better! Worth every penny.

If you have Walker Evans or Fox Podium shocks, send them to Shock Therapy Suspension Tuning to have their RIS II and dual rate springs installed. The ride improvement is awesome!

These are the things I did to my 2016 Deluxe. The Pure Polaris items were installed by the dealer before purchase. The next two we're done right after I got the General home, before it had a mile on it.
The rest are things I've learned about as time passed.

Pirate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pirate,

Its the base model, no roof, no wind shield and no radio. Does come with winch, doors, Fox Podium shocks and bumpers. I do want a glass wind shield , did you get the tip out or the full? Big difference in price but probably worth the comfort of air circulation in the summer. I have been to 3 dealerships and I get the impression that this is what it cost and if you want it, buy it or go somewhere else. Thanks for the info on ECU, Diff and skid plate up grades, I can tell I have a lot to research. Did not even know about these things. I'm kind of overwhelmed. Ha This forum is a big help!

Thanks, John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I just purchased my 2019 Premium G2 a couple weeks ago. In my hunt I found that some dealers were more eager to mark down the 19's than others. I got a great deal but nothing on accessories. This site has already taught me a lot as these past two weeks have been busy ones. I am almost done installing for now. MSRP on my bike was $18,299 and I got it for $13,980.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Howdy John and welcome.
Being you live in Mississippi i would go with the 3 position tip out glass Polaris windshield and the Ryfab sliding rear glass window too. We did both of these and will again on our next unit. These are all personal choices and there are many dealers with makes and models of accessories out there. Do a little research and feel free to ask questions here as we have all been down this trail too!
We didn't go the wiper/washer as we didn't feel a need for it. Others did and installed them.
GrizzzTek's full protection is a must but the fenders flares is up to you.
Also HunterWorks round rollers in the secondary clutch are also a must and don't wait too long to do it as those pucks wear on the clutch and if riding in dusty conditions they wear fast!
We have the Polaris heater in ours as we came from NoDak but we use it here for riding in the winter as my bride likes it warm.
Most dealers we have dealt with will give 10-15% off their accessories and some will do free installs. You will have to make this part of your deal when dickering with the dealer on final purchase price.
We email Abernathy's in Tennessee and see what they will sell the unit we want for a price and then shop around locally to see if a dealer will match it or see how close they can come. There are other dealers out there too that give fantastic prices right out of the gate and they are volume dealers. Shop around and also find a dealer that gives you GREAT customer service as they are worth their weight in gold.
Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Forgot to add there are dealers that will give a straight out discount if you ask them for a discount code. Also there are dealers that give a "forum" discount for being a member here. Don't forget to ask for these discounts as it adds up and some will do free shipping.
Been hearing good things about the Polaris fender flares and the price sounds quite reasonable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live in Mississippi as well, and I just purchased a 2019. I put a top on? And ordered the Superatv hardcoat windshield. It is easily removed because it is mounted with Velcro. Can be put on or removed in a couple of minutes, which is great in this cold one day hot the next climate down here. If money’s not a concern, let the dealership load it down, but for me, I had pick and choose my accessories, and look for the best value. The Top and windshield is a must. Then winch, and tires. Oh and a nice sound system if you like tunes on the trail. I went with Rockford Fosgate stage 3 system. Spent too much on that, but it will rattle your teeth, lol. That’s all I have so far. My understanding is that a rear windshield will cut down on dust in the interior. May be my next investment. You will love the General.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s a **** of a discount. Good for you. I hate leaving money on the table , I need to bargain better

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
john,

See what I started...better have a couple of big spending limit credit cards...you're going to need them when you get started!!

Got more questions? Be sure and ask on this forum...you'll get lots of good information!!

Pirate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pirate,

Your so right. After more reading I'm learning that there is a 2020G4 XP. none of my brochures show this option. I may be better off buying it than trying to take a base model and build an XP. What do you think? Love the forum!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Howdy neighbor. There is a lot of great advice on here. For me the glass tip out was a must have. I don’t have the heater just don’t think I would use it here in this climate , I hunt a lot and have not needed it this winter. A rear window is a must as well as it help with the dust. As far as pricing goes, I shopped the internet to get the best price. I saved 3 k off MSRP, bought mine in Knoxville at Ritchie Power sports. In my opinion, the best time to buy one is the last few days of the month as dealers are trying to make their sales goals.As was said on here earlier shop the volume dealers for the best price, negotiate the add ons into the deal and I installed all of my options myself as that is part of the fun. I will warn you that these things get expensive and the amount of aftermarket parts available can be addictive. Good luck and see you on the trails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy neighbor. There is a lot of great advice on here. For me the glass tip out was a must have. I don’t have the heater just don’t think I would use it here in this climate , I hunt a lot and have not needed it this winter. A rear window is a must as well as it help with the dust. As far as pricing goes, I shopped the internet to get the best price. I saved 3 k off MSRP, bought mine in Knoxville at Ritchie Power sports. In my opinion, the best time to buy one is the last few days of the month as dealers are trying to make their sales goals.As was said on here earlier shop the volume dealers for the best price, negotiate the add ons into the deal and I installed all of my options myself as that is part of the fun. I will warn you that these things get expensive and the amount of aftermarket parts available can be addictive. Good luck and see you on the trails.
Thanks for the tips. On a day like today I would probably want that heater but I think I could just dress warmer and save 1k. Did you add a stereo system?

·
Registered
82 Posts
No stereo yet, my buddy put a Bluetooth sound bar in that sounds decent, that’s probably the route I will go. Some guys on here have some pretty elaborate sound systems I don’t have the patience to wire a system like that. Saving up for my 32 intimidators

·
Registered
303 Posts
Greetings from El Paso. The XP is the way i went! I had been thinking of the General since they were first introduced. When i saw the XP on their website, i went down to my dealer and asked about it and when they would get one in. They kinda laughed at me and said they had no idea, that two were ordered but polaris was filling prepaid orders. I became one of those prepaids before i walked out. I had the first XP in the area. I love this machine, it already had so many upgrades that i planned on doing and it is tough. Good luck with your decision and welcome to this site!

·
Super Moderator
4,094 Posts
Welcome to the new PGF john !

Did you get a G yet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts