Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this. New to forum. Just bought a 2021 General Xp4. Love everything about it but have 2 complaints and I hope someone here can help me remedy. It is hot and it is loud.

The interior of the cab is HOT as **** IMO. It was only 80 degrees outside yesterday and my feet sweated and my had swamp arse all day. My wife complained all day and I am not sure she will even ride next summer when it gets hot outside. The heat is at our feet and legs. Not sure how hot the rear is yet. No one has ridden back there yet but I imagine near the engine it will be intolerable if the heat I am getting up front is bad. What can I do? Will fan overide help? Will a CVT blower help? Are there bolt in heat shields or aftermarket cab vents?

With both windshields on I have to crank the stereo up to drown out the noise. Have to lean over and really raise voice to have a conversation. No way the rear passengers will be able to communicate without screaming. No such thing as a casual relaxing ride down the gravel road in this thing.

25 grand is a boat load of money for anyone to spend. I can't believe all the tech and engineering and details (which is why I invested in the first place) that Polaris does not put in better heat shields, cab cooling, venting, and sound defining, etc. Very disappointing.

I know. Who's the new guy coming on here and complaining. Yes I understand they are performance machines meant to run hot and loud but there is no reason there is not a better way to to create a more comfortable cab experience. I have ridden a Harley my whole life and its like riding a frozen mouse compared to the General. Yeah Yeah I'm sure someone will tell me to go buy a jeep but seriously this is a bad design.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not sure where to post this. New to forum. Just bought a 2021 General Xp4. Love everything about it but have 2 complaints and I hope someone here can help me remedy. It is hot and it is loud.

The interior of the cab is HOT as **** IMO. It was only 80 degrees outside yesterday and my feet sweated and my had swamp arse all day. My wife complained all day and I am not sure she will even ride next summer when it gets hot outside. The heat is at our feet and legs. Not sure how hot the rear is yet. No one has ridden back there yet but I imagine near the engine it will be intolerable if the heat I am getting up front is bad. What can I do? Will fan overide help? Will a CVT blower help? Are there bolt in heat shields or aftermarket cab vents?

With both windshields on I have to crank the stereo up to drown out the noise. Have to lean over and really raise voice to have a conversation. No way the rear passengers will be able to communicate without screaming. No such thing as a casual relaxing ride down the gravel road in this thing.

25 grand is a boat load of money for anyone to spend. I can't believe all the tech and engineering and details (which is why I invested in the first place) that Polaris does not put in better heat shields, cab cooling, venting, and sound defining, etc. Very disappointing.

I know. Who's the new guy coming on here and complaining. Yes I understand they are performance machines meant to run hot and loud but there is no reason there is not a better way to to create a more comfortable cab experience. I have ridden a Harley my whole life and its like riding a frozen mouse compared to the General. Yeah Yeah I'm sure someone will tell me to go buy a jeep but seriously this is a bad design.
Congrats on the new General and welcome to the site. We have all experienced what you described with noise and heat. I have been working on improving both recently; have improved the sound by approximately 60% and the heat by about 30%.

First, I installed a Polaris headliner that absorbs the cab noise just like a sound attenuating panel instead of having it reverberate off of the hard plastic roof. Huge improvement! Next, I installed sound deadening panels throughout the interior of the cab; this helped by reducing heat transfer as well as noise reduction. I used the Siless brand, but there are others as well. Now, my wife and I can ride and talk to each other without having to raise our voices at all.

Do a site search for headliner and sound deadening and you will find multiple resources to help you. You should also search for other issues/improvements as there is a world of information on this site.
Use your best judgement regarding recommendations as some of them are repeated numerous times by shills on the forum.

Polaris designed, built and sold these vehicles that need numerous improvements and left us to make them. For sure it is not a good result for us, but as long as we keep buying their overpriced stuff they will keep building and selling it. Good luck; let the mods begin!

·
Super Moderator
3,012 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Ditch the windshield in warm weather, or get a half windshield. I don't run mine, unless it's cold out. I think because of this, I've never had the heat issues some complain about.
You want real heat issues, ride in a Can Am, where the engine is right in between the seats. Thought I was going to have a heat stroke, riding in my cousin's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on the new General and welcome to the site. We have all experienced what you described with noise and heat. I have been working on improving both recently; have improved the sound by approximately 60% and the heat by about 30%.

First, I installed a Polaris headliner that absorbs the cab noise just like a sound attenuating panel instead of having it reverberate off of the hard plastic roof. Huge improvement! Next, I installed sound deadening panels throughout the interior of the cab; this helped by reducing heat transfer as well as noise reduction. I used the Siless brand, but there are others as well. Now, my wife and I can ride and talk to each other without having to raise our voices at all.

Do a site search for headliner and sound deadening and you will find multiple resources to help you. You should also search for other issues/improvements as there is a world of information on this site.
Use your best judgement regarding recommendations as some of them are repeated numerous times by shills on the forum.

Polaris designed, built and sold these vehicles that need numerous improvements and left us to make them. For sure it is not a good result for us, but as long as we keep buying their overpriced stuff they will keep building and selling it. Good luck; let the mods begin!
Thanks Gobbler! I will take your advice and report back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did sound deadening on roof, doors and firewall. Also added the Polaris headliner. All of these together GREATLY reduced the noise in the cab and the firewall helped reduce the heat in the back. I still want to do the consoles and foot wells to further help with the heat. But we can have a casual conversation now even up to 6kish RPM. Only problem is I now hear all of the creaks and groans I didn’t before lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did sound deadening on roof, doors and firewall. Also added the Polaris headliner. All of these together GREATLY reduced the noise in the cab and the firewall helped reduce the heat in the back. I still want to do the consoles and foot wells to further help with the heat. But we can have a casual conversation now even up to 6kish RPM. Only problem is I now hear all of the creaks and groans I didn’t before lol.
Which brand did you use for the firewall.? Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Greetings from El Paso! The Kilmat in combo with the Siles mat on the rear firewall really helps alot.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Noise can be an issue when trying to communicate...so I installed a Rugged Radio intercom. Works great!
Can connect an iPod and have music. It pauses anytime someone says something.
And it provides hearing protection!

Pirate

·
Registered
6 Posts
RUGGED RADIO INTERCOM is the simple answer for enjoying your GENERAL.
Since installing Rugged Radio
and using it with my Bluetooth music, it's like riding in my 2019 F350 Kingcab.👍

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Did you add the Rugged Radio bluetooth adapter? I've just got my iPod plugged into the front of the Intercom.
Added the RR Radio last winter...still haven't had the chance to us it....
Pirate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts