Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 General 4 1000 XP Deluxe Non RC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on here for quite awhile reading posts as I have been trying to decide on a SxS. I put in an order for a Ranger 1000 Crew in june of 21. In July I rode in a friends General 2 and it rode so much better than the Ranger so I canceled my order for the Ranger and looked for a General. Found a place in Alabama that knocked almost 3k off the MSRP so I placed my order in July with a delivery date of oct 1. In Oct the first dealership called and said my ranger had just been delivered and after telling them I had already canceled it, I just decided to go ahead and get the ranger until the general came in because by this time the General had been pushed back until Jan. Just picked up my 2022 General 4 XP 1000 non Rc in black crystal and this thing looks badass! After driving 7 hrs round trip to pick it up I get it home and the brakes SUUUUCK... are the brakes just that much better on my ranger or do they need bled or something? I have a local polaris dealer 10min away, but don't really want to take it to them because they knew I was driving 7 hrs to get a deal on the General. Anyways happy I finally got it after almost 6 months of waiting and I'm really impressed with it other than these brakes so hopefully this is an easy fix. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They sound fine no vibration or wobble or anything. But I have to stand on the brake to stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fluid good. Pedal feels a little stiff towards full compression like I really have to stand on it to stop.

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,542 Posts
The XP models have little to no engine braking because of the clutch setup. Your Ranger probably has a lot of engine braking in comparison. However, you should not have to stand on the brakes. I'd take it to the local dealer. They can warranty it. If they have issue with you buying it elsewhere, tell them to be more competitive in their pricing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They sold me a xp 4 1000 deluxe for what the others were trying to do the base model for...

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
471 Posts
I noticed on my 2 Generals that I've had that the breaks get 100% better around the 500 mile mark. I'm not sure if they need to "break in" or what. But it was noticeable...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 General XP 4
49 Posts
I had this problem with mine when I picked it up. If you notice this rig is riddled with bar codes on every **** part (to include the discs on the brakes). Dealer didn't bother to remove them, so it caused a glaze on my brake pads. It wore off eventually and now my brakes are fine. Just go ride it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The brakes on my 2019 totally sucked when new. I thought it would never stop in an emergency situation. They broke in after a bit and worked awesome since. They just need a break in period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems to only slow down slow when I try to slowly come to a stop. I told my wife to hang on cause I was going to test my brakes while riding around the neighborhood last night and stomped on the brakes going about 15. It slung her into the windshield so I guess they work lol just may need a break in period.. I don't know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been together for about 10 yrs aint nothing left to break she stuck in her ways, but we gonna teach her what a seatbelt is either way lol

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,542 Posts
It seems to only slow down slow when I try to slowly come to a stop. I told my wife to hang on cause I was going to test my brakes while riding around the neighborhood last night and stomped on the brakes going about 15. It slung her into the windshield so I guess they work lol just may need a break in period.. I don't know.
Tell her she better not hurt that windshield!!!

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,225 Posts
Two things you can do.
Like us ol' bikers, take the pads out and scuff them up a bit on the sidewalk. At least that's what we used to do when on a run somewhere, it worked very well.
Second have a bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid handy. Have mama in the driver's seat ready to pump the brakes and hold.
Have her pump the brake pedal about 10 times and hold, Then use a long 5/16 closed end wrench to open the bleeder screw just a bit. Repeat for all four. Now, if you're not getting nice clear yellow DOT 4 fluid out of the bleeders, then there was/is some "stuff" in the brake lines. So continue repeating the bleeding process until you have nice clear yellow fluid out of all four bleeder screws. Don't forget to periodically top off the master cylinder.
Take the machine for a ride. It may take a stop or two to get the brake pedal working as it should. But the brakes should be working correctly now.
Give it a try before letting the dealer fool with it. By doing it yourself, you'll know what the issue was.
Pirate

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
471 Posts
If you're going to bleed the brakes it's a good practice from what I was told to start at the furthest wheel AWAY from the master (passenger rear) and work your way closer to the master. So it'd be passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front and finally driver front... I guess this helps to more thourgholy flush the lines and will get more garbage out/air out...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts