Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my wife and I just got a '16 General Deluxe. And can't wait to get out and do some ridin! What do youguys carry in your Genarals? Like tools and such, rain gear, gps, battery jumper. I look forward to reading any comments in this thread and all the others! ROCK ON!

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Welcome Bigjim!

Where you ride will determine what you need to carry with you. I mostly do day rides at relatively small parks, so I don't carry very much with me. Since I have onboard air, I do have an air hose, inflater, and blow off nozzle. I also have a few hand tool in the dash. I plan to add a tire plug kit, and extra drive belt.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Welcome Bigjim220!
I carry water tow strap, micro battery jump start, oil, pistol, lighter, warm cloths gps phone.
I usually do not travel more then 5 miles from a main road mostly well ridden trails here in Michigan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look at where and how you ride and pack a gear bag accordingly. I travel out of the way in very hot dry climates. It's shelter in place or be in very good shape and prepared to walk out slowly. It means water food extra clothes sunscreen etc.
Look at how the rig is equipped and make sure you can utilize all of it's capabilities. You have a winch pack a set of heavy work gloves snatch block and tree strap (or sand anchor in my case).
First Aid kit is a must from simple things like aspirin and Rolaids to more advanced like soft splints neck brace pocket mask etc. I was a an EMT so I build my own bags and pack more than just bandaids.
DON'T just throw gear at it. You know what you need you just have to figure out what you don't.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Look at how the rig is equipped and make sure you can utilize all of it's capabilities. You have a winch pack a set of heavy work gloves snatch block and tree strap (or sand anchor in my case).

Please tell me more about this "sand anchor" I ride power lines a lot with lots of mud and no trees. Googled it and saw a pull pal which looks awesome. Could work in mud. But it's 40#!!! + most of what is on Amazon is RC car foldable anchors which look again like may work in real size but?!

thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome Bigjim220!

I carry water tow strap, micro battery jump start, oil, pistol, lighter, warm cloths gps phone.

I usually do not travel more then 5 miles from a main road mostly well ridden trails here in Michigan.

Sound advise to start with. I have essentially same kit with a small tool set and channel locks.

And for sure AT LEAST one pistol!!

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Please tell me more about this "sand anchor" I ride power lines a lot with lots of mud and no trees. Googled it and saw a pull pal which looks awesome. Could work in mud. But it's 40#!!! + most of what is on Amazon is RC car foldable anchors which look again like may work in real size but?!

thanks.

Look up Pull-Pal Winch Anchor and you will find some info get a old spade shovel and you can make a simple version really easy if you have a welder! And yes they work great in anything that can get stuck in! Can be a bit of a pain in the rear to get out after a good pull I put a small d ring on the backside just above the spade and use winch to pull out if it really get stuck.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
In this day and age never leave home without one (pistol) :grin2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pull Pal is a brand of anchor point. I call it a sand anchor because that's where they get the most use. One can be easily made and for a sxs they won't need to be 40lbs.
There's videos on Youtube of the Arabs digging a hole filling a sand bag and throwing it in the hole then using it as an anchor point. I'd rather not have to dig a hole but it will do in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Pull Pal is a brand of anchor point. I call it a sand anchor because that's where they get the most use. One can be easily made and for a sxs they won't need to be 40lbs.
There's videos on Youtube of the Arabs digging a hole filling a sand bag and throwing it in the hole then using it as an anchor point. I'd rather not have to dig a hole but it will do in a pinch.
WOW they don't give those away but it would s**k to have to walk several miles to call a wrecker for big bucks. I would have to talk my Amish neighbors that I give rides to to bring a horse out. >:)

·
Registered
161 Posts

thanks.

Carry a spare and you can bury it in the sand and use it as an anchor point.
Saved my butt riding the beach in the FJ a few times.

·
Registered
831 Posts
We tell the people in our OHV Safety Training classes that the most important thing to take with you is...common sense. Heavily lacking in today's world it seems.
As others have said, your riding area and style will determine what you need to bring. Also, if you ride in groups everybody doesn't need one of everything but you need one of everything between everybody. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Amen cheeto :grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts