Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned a RZR with all the goodies, then a Can Am Maverick but since we moved back to Arkansas and I own about 6 acres I needed something that would still do all the trails close by but had a dump bed for working on our property. Picking up my 2018 General 1000 EPS Deluxe Hooptie with a whole 160 miles on it tomorrow!!
The journey begins again as I need a windshield and who knows what else! It already has an aftermarket muffler and a tune, raised (probably just used the shocks) and probably a more reasonable set of wheels and tires - that's why I called it a Hooptie! It has 32's on it and I have to see if they did any clutch work.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
you are so lucky, so much great riding in your area. rode moccasin gap last march. looking to do mill creek in the near future. need to get back to arkansas more frequently!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
txrider - we have literally hundreds of miles of trails, mountains (OK, small mountains) waterfalls etc. within just a few minutes of where we are. My son has 26 acres bordering the Ozark National Forest. We can go a mile from his driveway and be on the trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome from South Louisiana. I’ll be heading to your area in a couple months for some riding. Got a group hitting Wolf Pen Gap in late April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Havent ridden Wolf Pen yet, but the wifes family is from there.
Ive heard its a great area. You should try to get to Oark and eat at the Oark Store. You can google it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Greetings from El Paso! Looks like your off to a good start

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greetings and welcome. Congrats on your new General. We to are heading to WolfPen Gap in April to ride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ive been to wpg several times. last tip will be my last visit there. the safety police tree huggers have ruined it for me. we drove 6 hours up from texas. on our travel day it was raining and they closed the trails for 3 days. there was NO local flooding, it rained hard, but no flooding anywhere. by the time they re-opened the trails it was dusty. be warned, if the trails get wet they will close them. and they will close them without notice or warning. and when you call the ranger station, they won't give you any idea of when they plan to re-open them. they kept telling us "as soon as the water levels go down they will open". money we spent on gas, lodging, food, vacation days spent, well sucks for you trails are closed. once they did open, the only technical trail open was to the mine. and if you are an experienced rider it isn't that difficult. actually, if you are an experienced rider, the blue trails are green. they had cut a new trail from the 2 footed oak back to hawks nest. it was so groomed i could have driven my camaro on it. this trail was actually nicer than the roads we drove the truck on to get to the campground. there use to be a really cool loop you could do out to the falls and back, but they closed the southern part. even though it is a FOREST SERVICE ROAD, it is now only for foot traffic. there is another FOREST SERVICE ROAD going out to the blue hole that was a fun trail, but guess what, closed that one too. if it is a FOREST SERVICE ROAD then aren't my taxes paying for it? so basically all the fun trails were closed. it was like playing touch football with no running allowed, full pads, and no one keeps score so no feelings were hurt. the businesses / town of mena should start pushing back. the atv / utv community spends ALOT of money in these small towns. if you don't think so do some research on the Hatfield & McCoy trails in WV. in WV there are towns like mena fighting for trails / trail heads in their community. i am from there and know of at least 2 towns that attribute not only their survival but their GROWTH to the trail system. sorry for the rant, but earlier visits here were awesome.

now for the good. the infrastructure there makes it very appealing. walmart, several good restaurants, and lots of lodging with direct access to the trails. my first call for lodging was sugar creek Cabin Rentals, ATV Trails, Places to Hike | Mena, AR | Sugar Creek Lodging roger is a super cool guy and great place to stay. even has a cafe on site. even though we only get up there once / twice a year, he remembered us after our first visit. i liked this place so much, we would schedule our trip around availability to get in there. lots of dirt roads you can ride. IMO, the best trip is to ride from the mena area up to fourche mountain trail. during our last trip, found out fourche mountain is a different ranger district so it was open. they said they rarely close the trail. only problem with this trail system is mena is the closest lodging i have found to ride fourche mountain. 30 miles there, 30 +\- miles of trails, 30 miles back. we did 100 miles in one day. there are 1- 2 long trails there that are pretty rough and tight. my kind of riding. there is a gas station when you cross 88 (i think) that i would highly recommend getting breakfast at.

stayed at macs pines last nov and did a poker run there. excellent riding there, will definitely go back. new owners at macs are great. killer burgers at the cafe. breakfast tacos were excellent.

doing mulberry mountain easter weekend. so excited for that trip i can barely stand it!!! oark is pinned on my map, heard lots of great things about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely go to Oark Store!! Awesome breakfast with cat head biscuits and gravy. Burgers are great and the pies are to die for. Made by the world famous "Pie Lady" Miss Cathy Brown - a lifelong friend of my wife's who grew up on Batson Mountain.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i consider myself a connoisseur of biscuits and gravy, so will defiantly hit that. but what is a cat head biscuit? and please tell me they use sausage gravy. lots of the chain restaurants here is texas think the white gravy is the correct topping for biscuits. you can't take the gravy from the chicken fried steak / chicken and use it on biscuits for breakfast!!! that's just wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL - they are cat head biscuits because they are the size of a cat's head! Gravy is white and MUST have sausage in it, but get there early because when they run out, there is no more! The store opened in 1890 and has been in operation ever since. http://www.oarkgeneralstore.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts