Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 G2 XP 1000 Deluxe
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., here is the new thread I promised to post on the clutch blower fan I installed. First of all, I just want to say I am not trying to start a big confrontation on which is right or wrong, nor if one is better than the other, I am just posting my experience and what I did.

It seems like one of the biggest concerns with keeping the Polaris UTVs running is to have a belt last, so I originally started out wanting to install the clutch housing fan to help with keeping the belt cooler and adding longevity to it. In doing some research, the MTNTK Blow Hole looked to be a good choice. Because their website didn't specifically list an application for the General XP, I contacted them and asked if their part number 10054 would fit my 2022 G2 XP 1000. They said "No", and for me to order the P/N 10117 listed for the " '18-Current Ranger XP 1000 New Body Style". I asked them why the website didn't have that part number listed as one of the drop down picks in the General catalog page because it would be easy to choose the wrong P/N if you had a XP and they said they hadn't had a chance to update it yet. I was a little confused when I received it because it had a long power wire and the arrow showing which end went to the clutch housing seemed backwards for installing it in the exhaust port of the housing. The arrow would be pointing back into the housing instead of exiting the housing, so I called them. The MTNTK TECH support person said that P/N for the General XP is to be installed on the inlet side of the clutch housing spliced in where the rubber hose from the front intake attaches to the housing, thus the need for the long power wire and the direction of the arrow for the air flow. If you look at the installation instructions for the 18-Current New Body Ranger XP 1000 Blowhole Instructions.pdf , you will see it is installed on the inlet side of the clutch housing. They said part of the reason for the change was when mounted on the exhaust side and the belt came apart, it would damage the fan.

Well, it is certainly would be easier to install the Blow Hole on the exhaust side as installing it on the intake side is much harder to get to. Unfortunately, when I finally got it basically installed, it really didn't fit properly. Since the clutch housing can't move, the extra length of adding the Blow Hole has to be made up on the rubber hose connected to it. After I got the Blow Hole on, it pushed the rubber hose into the back fire wall and make a kink in the hose restricting the air flow (see the attached picture). I tried to over install the hose on the Blow Hole to make up some of the extra length (see the attached picture), but it still left a kink in the hose. I sent the two pictures below and contacted the MTNTK TECH support person to explain the problem I was having. He said they had others contacting them with the same problem on the newer machines and they were trying to figure out what has change for the Blow Hole not to fit. They said I could wait for them to figure out a fix or return it, so I returned it. I am in no way saying anything bad about them or their product, they were always very helpful and the Blow Hole itself was very well made.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Textile

While I was waiting for the return shipping label, I got to thinking, if there was room up front, why not install a fan there, it would be working the same as if it was installed on the inlet of the clutch housing. I ordered a 90 degree silicone elbow and a boat bilge blower off Amazon. The intake tube had to be cut off so the 90 degree elbow would sit low enough, I figured if the fan didn't work out, I could just put the Outerwears filter back on. With the configuration shown in the picture below, I got it to all fit under the hood. I added a switch so it could be turned off and on as desired. With the engine NOT running, if you turn the fan on, basically all the air exits out the exit hose on the clutch housing like it should. Yes, you can barely feel some air on the side port, but with the engine running and the clutch fan pushing the air out thru the exit port like it normally does, no air is flowing out the side port. The way I see it, you are just boosting the air going thru the clutch housing via the front fan, just like the MTNTK Blow Hole does on their current design. The fan I used has the same 140 CFM rating as the Blow Hole, no, it is not of the same quality, but it is not back by the heat of the engine and it will work for trying out the theory at least. I also purchased another fan made by Chillout Systems that is made to cool the brakes on race cars, it flows 180 CFM. I might try it out later for fun.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Car Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 G4 XP Deluxe
127 Posts
Keep us posted on this. I also run the Blow Hole (purchased through Hunterworks) on my 21' but it is on the exhaust side of the clutch's and went on easily and plugged right in. I do like the idea of pushing the air rather than pulling it and curious if there is a benefit to it. You are correct about a broke belt destroying the fan, it happened to a friend of mine but it was his fault for driving like he drives and no fan will save him...
Oh by the way, nice job tapping into your creative and curious thinking process!

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
We put the same fan on our XP as we had on our 17 General and it works the same.
Guessing when they saw the XP they figured is must be the same no matter General or Ranger.
Hope it works out for you but I will stay with what works for us and many others.
Thanks for the write-up.

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,964 Posts
I personally believe the "tech support" person doesn't have a clue. Just a keyboard jockey. The instructions for the General would be the same for the General XP. The installation for the General would be the same for the General XP. I feel that pushing air in one of two inlets will not give the desired effect. Unless you put a belt temp monitor in, we will never know if it's effective or not.

From their instruction sheet and website.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Line
Font Terrestrial plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Product Font Circle Parallel Document

·
Premium Member
2022 G2 XP 1000 Deluxe
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look Buelligan666, I never said that the Blow Hole P/N 10054 would not fit or work on the General XP 1000, what I said was when I contacted MTNTK and asked which Blow Hole P/N to use on my 2022 XP, they told me to use the P/N 10117 and install it on the inlet of the clutch housing like their instructions for the Ranger XP. So I didn't need you to post the MTNTK installation instructions and a installation video on installing the P/N that they didn't tell me to order and install. The P/N 10054 and 10117 are not the same, they have the silicone boot mount opposite of each respective housing, when the 10054 is mounted it pulls and when mounted, the 10117 pushes. They also have different length power cords because the 10117 is mounted farther away from where it plugs into the wire harness. like I said in my first post, they said part of the reason for the change was when mounted on the exhaust side and the belt came apart, it would damage the fan.

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
840 Posts
A small screen mounted in front of the fan would easily protect the fan from belt chunks and remove that fear. I'm sure someone could come up with something easily for that...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2022 G2 XP 1000 Deluxe
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A small screen mounted in front of the fan would easily protect the fan from belt chunks and remove that fear. I'm sure someone could come up with something easily for that...

It probably would, but for the screen to be effective enough, would the screen size have to be small and thus restrict the air flow thus negating adding the fan? I don't know how small the belt pieces generally are or how big they need to be to damage the fan.

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
1,018 Posts
Just like the trailer I almost bought that 2 other people hauled UTV’s on, the builder (ALCOM) said don’t haul UTV’s on it, it’s too lightly built. I’d do what the builder says. Now I don’t know if these people are the “ builders” or not, but OP is doing what they recommend. Apples to oranges I know……🤷🏿‍♂️

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,964 Posts
I used those illustrations to demonstrate that the instructions and website contradict what you were told. You were given bad advice by a customer service representative. It is obviously the wrong part number for your application. I would like to see you get the best performance from the investment you made. If I were you, I would go back to them and have them exchange it for the one designed for your application. I believe you will not get the desired results using it in the manner that you are currently. I won't contribute any further to your thread.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Very well could be bad customer service……seen that PLENTY of times! I hate it when people don’t even know about the **** they sell…….it’s even worse now a days….fortunately ALCOM came through for me about their product. I just found it hard to believe that an aluminum trailer with a 3500 axle could only have a payload of 1663. I’m glad they got back to me! Don’t stop contributing to the group, have had loads of good info👍🏿

·
Premium Member
2022 G2 XP 1000 Deluxe
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I used those illustrations to demonstrate that the instructions and website contradict what you were told. You were given bad advice by a customer service representative. It is obviously the wrong part number for your application. I would like to see you get the best performance from the investment you made. If I were you, I would go back to them and have them exchange it for the one designed for your application. I believe you will not get the desired results using it in the manner that you are currently. I won't contribute any further to your thread.
I'm not mad, you don't have to ban yourself from this thread, I would just rather see posts of why people don't think the fan up front will work as well or equal to it being installed on the exhaust side of the clutch housing. What does it matter if the fan helps "push" out the hot air, dust dirt, etc. or helps "suck" out the hot air, dust dirt, etc.?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm not mad, you don't have to ban yourself from this thread, I would just rather see posts of why people don't think the fan up front will work as well or equal to it being installed on the exhaust sid of the clutch housing. What does it matter if the fan helps "push" out the hot air, dust dirt, etc. or helps "suck" out the hot air, dust dirt, etc.?
It MAY help with keeping water out being positive pressure?🤷🏿‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
840 Posts
So if I understand this correctly...

You didn't install the general blow hole because they said it wouldn't work on an XP?

So then you installed a ranger blow hole on an XP because they said that would work?

Sorry if I missed this part, but why exactly wouldn't the blow hole for the general work on an XP ?

I'm still going to think that customer service person sent you down the wrong road here... I'd think that all the Generals are very similar as far as the clutch housing/venting goes. I think you'd have been better off going with the one ment for a general even if it were after the clutches with a homemade screen before the fan. I don't think you'd need an extremely small screen to protect that fan. Everytime I've blown a belt (only on sleds) I've never had any pieces smaller than 1"x1"... so I think you could get away with something that has 1/4" square holes and not restrict the flow at all. Then you don't have to modify the intake under the hood...

·
Premium Member
2022 G2 XP 1000 Deluxe
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So if I understand this correctly...

You didn't install the general blow hole because they said it wouldn't work on an XP?

So then you installed a ranger blow hole on an XP because they said that would work?

Sorry if I missed this part, but why exactly wouldn't the blow hole for the general work on an XP ?

I'm still going to think that customer service person sent you down the wrong road here... I'd think that all the Generals are very similar as far as the clutch housing/venting goes. I think you'd have been better off going with the one ment for a general even if it were after the clutches with a homemade screen before the fan. I don't think you'd need an extremely small screen to protect that fan. Everytime I've blown a belt (only on sleds) I've never had any pieces smaller than 1"x1"... so I think you could get away with something that has 1/4" square holes and not restrict the flow at all. Then you don't have to modify the intake under the hood...

You are correct, I purchased the one they told me to, the one shown for the Ranger XP, new body style. They didn't say the one for the General wouldn't fit, they just said to use the Ranger XP one, I think because of it not going to get debris from a broken belt. They said it worked on a 2022 G4, so maybe there wasn't the same clearance problem (meaning it has more room to the back wall on a four seater) and that they had not tried one on a 2022 G2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is my solution:

Hood Light Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design

When I ordered the fan, I was faced with the idea of how to install it. I've thought about it, if the fan is installed in the exhaust duct, it will pull all the dirt from the intakes through it CVT housing is sucked outside. I have now installed it in the front and protected it from dirt and moisture with a K+N air filter with frog foil. The fan is switched on via the ignition with a switch. The installation space is also suitable for other fans, for example from car racing or boat building. I've driven this fan for over 3000 miles with no problems. The most important thing is that the CVT housing is regularly serviced and cleaned / blown out.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Might work but it sure takes all the room under the hood. Wouldn't work for us as we have our secondary fuse box and all the accessory wiring under the hood. I did notice where you have your small secondary fuse box.
If it works for you that is all that matters.

Reactions: Corbo1962
1 - 20 of 42 Posts