Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m on the verge of ordering new tires for my fully stock ‘19 G2, really want to go with BFG KM3’s 30xR14/8. Wife and I are going on a wheelin trip soon that will have us out alone, in some mountain trails that could be rocky. I’ve never carried a spare, just a tire repair kit, but thinking I should have a spare for this one at least. If i had to, could i run one of the stock tires as a spare to limp back to camp? I know not cheaping out and just buying a spare with the new set is likely the best method, just curious what everybody else is doing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also just had this thought….selling my stock take-off’s (if there’s a market for them) would likely pay for that extra tire/wheel, with a little to boot.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Amigo
Rules of the off road
  1. Never go alone
  2. Never go alone
  3. Never go alone
  4. Never go alone
  5. Never go alone
  6. Continue this to infinity
The BF Goodrich are a good tire however they run a little soft on their rubber compound. Most of the successful off road racers in the UTV classes run a harder rubber compound tire which is a Tensor. I’ve run a lot of different brands of tires over the last fifty one years of off roading (mostly in Baja) I run Tensors
Other things to consider if you’re **** bent on going out alone

1. Carry a good VHF radio (learn how to use it before you go) Rugged Radio and PCI are ones that the racers use. My Rugged Radio down here in Baja works great
2. If decide on not going with a spare then pack the following
A tire sewing kit ( the best ones are fishing nets called a sewing awl and buy a roll of braided fishing line 150 lbs test ( it’s what they to catch Marlin with)
An inner tube, yes yes yes. Why? Been there done that (ripped a 12” gash in my Jeep going into Mike’s Sky Ranch, I sewed the c-word out of the tire but ended up pulling the beadlock ring off and sticking my inner tube) drove another week down here and when I got back home I put a new tire on (at that time I was running BF Goodrich tires) So if you’re not running beadlocks get a spare

Last but not least, if you’re **** bent on going out alone be prepared ie water, water, water, beef jerky, canned tuna etc etc etc

Good luck amigo

Cheers Baja Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts