Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Polaris lock-and-ride half-windshield on my DLX. I am finding that this thing really sucks. No no... Its a good quality item, but it puts the windblast right in my eyes. I find any speed over 20-25 uncomfortable. I wear glasses, and it still bothers me.

My Odes had a fixed full polycarbonate windshield, but the plastic in that one was just slightly harder than butter. Despite my best care, within a month it was so scratched up that at night oncoming headlights made it impossible to see out of. As we do a lot of riding on the roads at our lake, this was so dangerous, that I cut the windshield down so I could see at night.

I definitely want the opening kind for ventalation, but man, the glass version cost like $1100!!!. I found that SuperATV has what is basically the same windshield, but with polycarbonate instead of glass for about $400. I'm tempted by the price difference, but I am shy of getting another windshield that will get all scratched up.

The website claims:
"made from a clear, scratch resistant, 1/4" AR Makrolon, leaving you with a product that is significantly better than your average UTV windshield. ...windshield is hard coated on both sides"
I'm not sure how much of that is advertising hype, or if it is really scratch resistant. Anybody have any experience with coated poly windshields? I understand that if you drag a tree limb across it, no coating in the world will prevent a scratch. I'm talking about "swirl-mark" type scratches that comes with routine cleaning.

Of course the glass window would be immune to that, but I am wondering if I should spend the $$$ to try the poly one first. All advice appreciated.

Tim

FYI: Riding environment: About 30% paved roads, about 30% gravel roads, about 40% trails. I tend to avoid mud. Sand is not even a consideration.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the tip out glass and its great. A friend of mine just got his '17 General and installed the tip out poly from Super ATV and I must say it is very nice. It mounts to the stock Polaris mounting points and fits just about as well as my glass. It has the same opening positions as mine. One good thing about the poly is if you scratch it up you can use it for a template to cut out a new one fairly cheap. As for mine if I break it I'll most likely be out the $1100. Not to sure that the insurance company would replace it. If not I would by the poly to replace it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the tip out glass and its great. A friend of mine just got his '17 General and installed the tip out poly from Super ATV and I must say it is very nice. It mounts to the stock Polaris mounting points and fits just about as well as my glass. It has the same opening positions as mine. One good thing about the poly is if you scratch it up you can use it for a template to cut out a new one fairly cheap. As for mine if I break it I'll most likely be out the $1100. Not to sure that the insurance company would replace it. If not I would by the poly to replace it.
I have the superATV full flip up and it is awesome! And very scratch resistant. I can replace the Plexi several times an still use same hardware and be ahead several hundred dollars.

Polaris General Scratch Resistant Flip Windshield : Polaris : General : Windshield

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just received the tip out poly windshield by super atv yesterday. I will be installing this weekend, seems to be good quality. Very thick poly, 1/4". Comes with a brace for under the dash for the latching handle support. I have pre-assembled most of the parts to the windshield, but instructions say to remove roof and stereo, bummer, not really though. Now I can fix the fit and finish of the stereo plastic to crossbar. I think the dealer or who ever assembled it didn't notice when they bolted it up there.
I love the idea, like Steve said, that I can just use the original poly windshield as a template, should it get too scratched up/damaged.
I will post some pics after install, and give a report of the durability, though could take a while.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I make my own aluminum frames and have a glass shop custom cut laminated safety glass for them. Got to talking with the owners last time and they mentioned they have an AR (hard coated poly) windshield on their SxS. Seems like a pretty good endorsement to me.
I'll stick with my safety glass versions though because I run a manual wiper and should something drastic ever happen to the glass I can get a new one cut for not much more than the cost of a chunk of polycarbonate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put the satv flip on our general a week ago I love it. I have the flip on my rzr for a couple months now. The Ranger I traded in had the Kolphin tilt windshield. It was OK, but the flip is much better. My hard coated Kolphin never scratched. The key is to wash it with soap and water, rinse the mud off before you begin. Ensure your wash MIT is clean. Personally I use micro fiber MIT and towels, however I now use a blower to get most of the water off. Most damage is done by people wiping the shields off with harsh cloths, paper towels or just rinsing and wiping. Treat with Rain-x. I had black show cars for years, they show all scratches. And the reason I stopped using bath towels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you ever settle on a windshield ?

Yeah. I got the Polaris tip out Glass one. I found a dealer local that gave me a healthy discount. Out the door it was only $1125 with tax and everything.

I pick it up tonight.

Tim

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just couldn't bring myself to pay the outrageous price Polaris wants for glass windshield and rear window. I made a couple of cardboard templates and went to a glass shop and got them to cut me laminated glass. Then I got a buddy who works putting glass in for a living to urethane them in like a car. For 300 bucks all said and done for both and they look great. Rear is awesome. Front I would do a little different next time. For the price I can do it multiple times to get it rite and I won't cry if I get a rock and cracks them.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts