Polaris General Forum banner

Need Help!!

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  RockinRonnie 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I bought my General on May 20th and it hasn't been right since I have had it. I took it back to the dealer and they had it for a week and a half and they said the codes showed it was in limp mode. So supposedly they cleared the codes, I got it back home last night finally and it is doing the same thing. But, here's the wierd thing, my girlfriend just happened to be watching me go down the road tonight and everytime it would fall flat on it's face around 35 or 40 the brake lights would come on, then go off then it would go again then it would fall on it's face again and the brake lights would come on again??? So we videoed this several times going down the road, everytime it would fall on its face the brake lights will come on. Has anybody else expierenced this with there unit?? This General has 4.4 hours on it, I am not a very happy customer!!

#4 ·
I talked to a dealer today in my area and he is thinking a speed sensor without physically looking at it. So I am gonna take it to them this weekend and have them look at it and see what it may be and I will let you know for sure!

#6 ·
That dealership said that it had two codes, one was that it was in limp mode, and the other was one that they said somebody had left the key on without it running for over 5 minutes. But the limp mode thing I don't beleive it anyways, cause if it's in limp mode as I understand it won't go over 10 miles per hour. But this thing is doing something way different than that. The dealership I talked to today said with that speed sensor being bad that he thinks it may be trying to throw it into limp mode and then in turn putting on the brakes. I really have no idea but I sure wish I could use this **** thing, it is getting very frustrating. Yes, I agree with you 100%, i still don't think that other dealership should have charged me anything, none of this is my fault at all, it was like this the day I brought it home.

#7 ·
ya limp mode you loose power steering and its like driving with no seat belt on,def could be a speed sensor,but on the rangers and rzrs you norm loose power steering also.but its a new model so who knows.hopefully thats it and an easy fix.and when you pick it up from the dealer this time better drive the **** thing for sure.i feel for ya,that sucks!!!!!

#9 ·
When I first got mine it through a intermittent speed data error code. My guess is that it is the speed sensor. But after I took it back to the dealer, they read the codes, erased them and tried to test it. But after ten miles they could not get it to throw them again. And I haven't had any issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Chall, I hope that's all this is, I am tired of messing with this darn thing! If they don't get it fixed this time it's going back to the dealer I bought it from and they will refund my money, I'm done with it!!

#11 ·
Have the dealer contact Polaris to determine if the power to the engine is cut if the brake and gas are both applied at the same time. Perhaps the brake switch needs adjusted.
This is a "safety" feature added to some (all?) vehicles after the Toyota runaway incidents several years go.
My folks had a new Honda in 2014 that would sometimes lack power for no apparent reason. Most notably as they tried to turn across a busy street. Turns out my pops was driving with one foot on the gas and one on the brake. Once he was aware of the situation it never happened again for the remaining 3 months they had the car...the leather interior smelled so bad they couldn't stand it anymore and dumped it the first chance they got. We swear it was made from yak hide. :frown2: Thankfully I only visited a couple times while they had it.

#12 ·
The newer RZRs have this so called "feature", so my assumption is that the Generals do too. I can see that if there was a loose wire, or a switch of some sort not working properly/defective, that hitting a bump on the road could make it appear that the driver applied the brake while giving it gas, which would put it in limp mode for a second, and then another bump or rattle taking it out of limp mode.

#13 ·
The dealer still has my General, I bought this thing on May 20th and have yet to have it run right since I have had it. The dealer this time has had it a week and a half so far and I have not heard a word from them. I am one very frustrated Polaris owner at this point.

#17 ·
What did they find on your General? Have not seen anything just wondering!

#16 ·
My new dodge pickup has this "feature" as well. Ever backup to a trailer? You have one foot on the brake to nudge it backwards to the trailer with a little gas. My engine light is on all the time because of this. I got tired of resetting it, so I just drive it that way. This should be a speed sensitive feature that activates at speed, but not while stopped or crawling slowly. If my General is like this - when I finally get it, I will definitely be upset. Ride safe, ride insured.

Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.