Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 here with just about 700 miles. Today I noticed noise coming from the front end. Got out to feel a very hot disk and caliper on the drivers side. Passenger side and both rear were cool to the touch. I took the wheel off, blew air in and around everything and hit it with break cleaner real good. Both front wheels turn with about the same resistance.. break pads have plenty of life in them as well. Rode around in various diff modes to see if that made a difference and then to boot made it a point to go for a long stretch and coast to a stop never touching the breaks. Same thing, drivers side hot and all others cool/slightly warm. Break fluid good as well. Please help!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a wheel bearing. They ever been greased?
If that's what it is, it's already toast, and will need replacing.
Well I can’t find any play in the wheel though? I thought if a bearing was bad with it jacked up the wheel would have play.

·
Super Moderator
2,918 Posts
Going by your test, you eliminated it being the brakes, in my opinion. I'd break it down, and pull the wheel bearing, and see what it's looking like. If it is the cause of the heat, there may be some discoloration, and/or you find that it's dry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going by your test, you eliminated it being the brakes, in my opinion. I'd break it down, and pull the wheel bearing, and see what it's looking like. If it is the cause of the heat, there may be some discoloration, and/or you find that it's dry.
I greased them just a few rides ago. I will have to take apart like you said. That particular bearing did come apart the first time I removed it.. maybe something went astray. I did loosen the caliper adjustment screw last night and it sounded like it was spinning easier. I’m taking it into work today so I’ll see if it’s the same story after my drive in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I rode to work today. About 5 miles. Light break use. When I got there felt everything. Drivers side was just a tad warmer then the passenger side. Rears both cool to the touch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You could have a caliper issue.. just a small amount of drag will cause a lot of heat. I would take calpier off and see how easy the piston pushes back.. then do another one and compare.. also try taking apart and lubbing the slide pins

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could have a caliper issue.. just a small amount of drag will cause a lot of heat. I would take calpier off and see how easy the piston pushes back.. then do another one and compare.. also try taking apart and lubbing the slide pins
I may have just over reacted.. what was weird is that one was hot and the other wasn’t. Today driving around both are warm/almost too hot to leave a finger on for more then 10sec or so. In the automotive world it’s normal for them to get hot. Might just be noticing it now since I’m driving on the street at sustainably higher speeds then the way I was just putting around my property..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts