Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XP 1000 RC
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, was finishing up the last accessory on the new General before I head off to Moab Saturday and was installing the Seimik Pursuit mirror extensions and lost the da## nut. I did shove a rag down the slot but I ran the wires for my dome light, bed light and washer down the left pillar and wrapped them in tape for protection. It looks like I'm going to have to pull the Ryfab window and dash cap to reinstall the nut. Any tips or tricks for getting the nut back out would be appreciated. I really don't want to take it apart again this close to leaving and if needed will stick another nut on till I get back and just let it rattle around.

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
75 Posts
I dropped one while reaching across to grab a mirror mount.

I couldn't get it out with with either a magnet or retractor. I had to pop the dash cap to retrieve it.

·
Premium Member
2019 RC Edition
31 Posts
This may sound a little crazy, but when I did the same thing putting on my mirrors, as a last resort and after about an hour of trying , I got about a 25 yard run in a paved driveway, at full throttle, slammed on the brakes, and it popped right out the front. Wish I tried it earlier...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing happened to me twice today. Found it pretty quickly the first time, but still haven’t figured out where it went the second time. Sounded like it ended up on the skid plate? Who knows. Am charging up my borescope to poke around in all the nooks and crannies before I start removing panels.

Good luck on your search and recovery effort!

·
Registered
2021 XP 1000 RC
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tried the hose with the magnet on, got it once in ten minutes only to get it pulled off. It seems to be happy there so I put another one I had on. Seizmik mirrors with General mirror extensions look good. We will see once the Spike upper doors are on. Pulling the Ryfab window wasn't that bad after all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got lucky last night. It dropped, and all I could think about was these posts, and what a pain in the ass it was. I heard it hit the bottom, then fell on the floor. Took doubled up a piece of wire, and bent it so it would hold the nut. Put the wire through the hole, pulled it tight. Nut went right in. Held it with my finger, yanked the wire through, and threaded the bolt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got lucky last night. It dropped, and all I could think about was these posts, and what a pain in the ass it was. I heard it hit the bottom, then fell on the floor. Took doubled up a piece of wire, and bent it so it would hold the nut. Put the wire through the hole, pulled it tight. Nut went right in. Held it with my finger, yanked the wire through, and threaded the bolt.
I need to put longer bolts in mine sometime
never come loose but are only about half way thru the nut

·
Registered
2020 Polaris General XP-2 1000 Deluxe Ride Command
305 Posts
I need to put longer bolts in mine sometime
never come loose but are only about half way thru the nut
Did the same when I added mirror brackets there. Ny-Lock nut isn't doing it's job unless there are bolt threads in the nylon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For those of us dropping the nuts: when I was taking my bolts off for the first time during the mirror install, I noticed that someone had put electrical tape on the ROPS bar right over the nuts. Not having any idea why anyone would do such a thing, I took it off, then removed the bolts and promptly lost a nut. Needless to say, I didn't remove the tape on the other side, and lost zero nuts over there.

Bottom line: put tape over the nuts to hold 'em in place in the ROPS, and you'll probably be good to go.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
wradar,

I put a heavy aluminum tape over the pillar nuts. Then a shot of black rattle can paint...and hopefully no dropped nuts...those last two words together are a little, weird? funny?

I also picked up, at the NAPA store one of those three pronged retrieval tools...but with a built in magnet at the end. Use the magnet more than the prongs.

Pirate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts