Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the Polaris camera mirror, but pretty disappointed with how it works. So decided to mount my GoPro 3 black edition camera.

But how to mount it? I had written to Seizmik "contact us" to make sure the Pursuit mirrors would mount on the frame downtubes. Got a nice response that they would. So replied to that e-mail asking if there was a way I could get an extra clamp or two to use for mounting my GoPro camera.

Very pleased to get home and find the mirrors and another box with two mirrors clamps in the mail.

To the clamp I attached the horizontal arm from UTV INCs:

https://www.utvinc.com/billet/utv-inc-1-billet-go-pro-vertical-bar-mount/

To that is attached a set of aluminum pieces to allow me to get the camera where I want it aimed:

And I will be using a Hardened Power Systems Longshot G3 system that replaces the battery, so no more dead batteries. Plugs into a hardwired USB port, so no more powering down due to poor connections in a 12V outlet system. The Longshot system also provides a "hard wire" to the battery replacement piece. Thus with it connected, if the mount fails, the camera and mount pieces will be hanging there by the Lonshot cable. A little security.

LongShot G3 HD ? Hardened Power Systems

And here's a couple of pics after I got it mounted. I did use a 12" Crescent to bend the frame bracket just a bit to get the camera pointed directly forward.

Looking at the camera mount from the front:

Looking at the camera mount from the rear:

And looking at the camera mount from the side:

I'll post a little more when I get the camera wired up and the wireless remote mounted on the dash.

Pirate

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a wrist mount for mine and it works great on the bar behind the seats

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So its mounted to the rectangular tube behind the headrest portion of the seats?

Do you have a full windshield? That's where the Polaris mirror cam has me. Get way too much reflection of the inside of the full glass windshield.

Mounting the GoPro where I did, and its the same place as I have one mounted on the 09 RZR 800, get excellent video and don't see anything of the machine. Just the scenery looking ahead.

Just thoughts and questions,

Pirate

·
Registered
62 Posts
When it comes to GoPro I think I own about every mount they came up in the past years. The one that I lately use the most is the GoPro JAW:

Using a flat mount and the standard short and long 3-way mounts I can put the cam everywhere on the general. The JAW opens wide enough to grap hold on the pro-fit frame getting the shot outside or inside the general. Within seconds I can move the GoPro facing to the back, mount it to the front bumper, roof, rocksliders, ...

If you are looking for the most versatile mount on the General, the GoPro JAW is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'll add a little more on my GoPro Hero 3 silver edition set up:

My camera case was getting a little nasty, so I went onto Amazon and found the waterproof case for $8.16. So I bought two. They apparently come from China, are no GoPro...but an exact duplicate.

I also found this ball swivel mount that allows me to correct for the camera not being level or pointed exactly forward using the Seizmik mirror clamps I was able to get from Seizmik.

Here's the info on the ball swivel mount:

I also now use a Hardened Power Longshot 3G power system in place of the battery. Never runs down, is hard wired to the case back, which provides a very nice tether if the mount breaks.

Here's a pic from the front, as it is now, with camera looking straight ahead, level side-to-side, and tipped up a few degrees:

And here's a pic from the back showing the Longshot 3G power setup:

I had problems with the Longshot system and set it aside. Last Winter did some testing and found that my RZR 800 12V outlets did not provide a constant 5V DC. Most likely due to dirty contacts between the adapter and the 12V outlet, or corrosion from the car wash. Whatever, the voltage was not constant and it doesn't have to vary much and the camera shuts down.

So this is where the hardwired USB port is excellent. No friction contacts, just a nice hardwired 12V DC input and constant 5V DC output. No more camera shutting down.

I got the hardwired USB port from MyPilotStore.com here's the info:

I mounted the charging jack in the right lower port below the switches. The hole there is 1 1/8" and that's just what the Charging Jack needs. So simply a matter of installing it per the instructions.

Now I have my camera that is operated by the remote, never shuts down unless I shut it down. I very much like the camera mounted here as I get very stable video, without seeing the hood or the interior of the General. Just the scenery we are driving through.

Just my way!!

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
been tossing the idea of getting one but not pulled the trigger yet.How often would you use it for general riding is my thought maybe should just get one and see.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use my GoPro all the time...but not recording all the time. Just taking video of interesting things.

Then use Wondershare Filmora software to add titles, add in still pics, edit sound track...all those things to make an mp4 "movie".

Am I successful in all the things on the second line...well...when I find time.....

Pirate

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here is what I did.... Need to make a new picture of it finished. I made a holder for my phone that uses the Otterbox belt clip and has a bar in front to hold a GoPro. I finished it in bed liner and bolted it to the dash.

Attachments

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go Pro Mount

Pirate that is the best Go Pro set up on a side by side I have ever seen. I plan to do the same. In the picture I don't see your rear view mirror. I have the seismic mirrors as well. Did you say it came with extra mount or you ordered it separately? Thanks for the great info.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If I mounted my hero5 black on the outside of my General I would beat it into submission in no time. Where we ride in Arizona there is a ton of brush and trees we rub against all the time. On the Ranger I had my brother mounted his on the passenger side just behind the cab on the custom rack I had. It didn't last half an hour and was taking some nice video of the sky above us. The camera wasn't hurt it just got moved around a lot by trees and suck. I had mine sticky mounted to the center of the dash behind the windshield and it took great video and pictures all three days. I had to clean the windshield every now and then but it needed it anyways because of all the dust. Not sure how I am going to mount it on the general yet but not outside at least on the side of the rig. That go pro jaw clamp looks interesting. I am going to have to get one.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm with Lars on the GoPro JAW except I also use the gooseneck adapter. I can quickly switch from a view down the side looking forward/backward to a view from the front looking forward/backward to custom angles like this....

https://youtu.be/YgQ2PMSkdJ4

·
Registered
99 Posts
I mounted my GoPro 2 on the dash behind the windshield glass. Yes, I get occasional glare on sunny days, but the trade off of having it safe inside is worth it. You can always edit out bad glare. Plus if the camera is outside in the elements, it gets water, dust, or mud on it and obscures the view. Mine is located in the center of the dash and the wiper will keep the glass clean, so the view is always pristine. Plus I like leaving a little bit of the front bumper and hood at the bottom of the image to give perspective. We ride in the woods, so our trails can be pretty overgrown. A camera wouldn't last long hanging off the cage or even on the hood. I have thought of making a glare guard to put around the camera, but as of yet, I have no real need for it. I've been running the GoPro on the SxS for about 4 years now. I also added the back screen so I can see what I am filming as I drive. I added a dual USP port into the dash, so I just run a USB cable from the camera to the dash mounted USB port. It is close to the camera, so it was easy to do. I filed/drilled a rectangular hole in the camera case for the cable to pass through. The back screen used a lot of battery power, so the USB solution keeps everything running. Ride safe, ride insured.

Roy

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had my camera mounted to the side on my last machine. Cousin and I lost it when we went through some trees in a bog. We only found it because when it was knocked off of the machine the buttons were hit and it turned the display on. He saw it glowing in the dark. I have removed the useless rear view mirror and used the arm to mount my camera inside. This also allows me to keep it plugged in when the battery gets low.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not to change the subject, but worthless mirror is right. I am talking about the standard rear view mirror. It will not center in the cab because of the wiper motor housing. It is better than nothing, but it needs more movement at the ball. What resolution do you run at on your Hero? I am going to try the 127 degree mode and see if I like that better than the ultra wide angle default. Ride safe, ride insured,

Roy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone looking for a decent cheap camera; that SJCAM is great. Only a $100.00 and it work great. Has blue tooth so you can run it with an app on your phone too.
Got it on Amazon 2 years and it still works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I mounted mine on the hood, aside from a slight beating it gets it worked great until I got home and reviewed the footage. All you can hear is that dang fan running! Looks great, sounds terrible, time for a new spot, probably up high.

I was thinking of placing a mount (someday a second camera maybe) on the roof facing backwards to get footage of people I am riding with as we go through things. I have a bunch of different mounts coming so hopefully I can get them situated and videos rolling out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts