Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice when I hit a good pothole I get a tinny popping noise out of my soundbar. Dealer took the sound bar down but found nothing loose. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have this issue and have not figured out what it is

Reactions: GBrannon

·
Registered
808 Posts
I did, one of the screws was not in the u-nuts correctly. Re-installed carefully (i.e. not "on the clock") and all is good.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Welcome to the site Wolfwrack !

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just to clarify, are you talking about the sound bar making a popping/snapping sound, physically (not out of the speakers)? My new machine does this when I go over bumps and the sound is very loud and annoying. Almost sounds like something is slapping hard into the glass windshield, but nothing visibly is loose. I will try the U-nut solution above. Does this just require loosening the exposed screws to start this process and get to the u-nuts?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes, mine was making a sharp "crack" sound every time I hit a bump after we had pulled the soundbar to run an ipod wire. I knew it had to be something simple and related to this because it didn't make the noise before. We completely removed the roof and soundbar again and took extra time to ensure all the U nuts were lined up correctly when putting it back together. I also shot some Windex on the seal of the roof so it would slide as we pushed the roof rearward to lock it in place.
As a simple test for those with this problem, drive on a bumpy road that causes it to pop, then drive that section again but push up on the roof next to the soundbar and see if the sound stops. We jammed a napkin up there as a temporary solution.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep, mine has it too and does sound more like a rock hitting the glass. Going to be taking mine apart to connect to the pre-out for an amp to see if it works and will look for the culprit then.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep mine has it too. I have not torn into it yet. When I installed the tip out windshield, I had to remove the sound bar. When I re-installed it, I was not sure how to install the metal bar above the sound bar. Someone said that bar is not supposed to be there. I should have been removed when installing the sound bar originally. I gotta think this is adding to the problem.

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, after much trial and error I have finally solved the loud snapping sound issue on my machine (2017 general deluxe) previously coming from the sound bar roof area. Now it is sooo much better to drive without that distracting sound! if any one reads this (possible lost at the end of this thread) and wants a simple permanent solution I will post pictures and give details.

·
Read Only
1,001 Posts
Ok, after much trial and error I have finally solved the loud snapping sound issue on my machine (2017 general deluxe) previously coming from the sound bar roof area. Now it is sooo much better to drive without that distracting sound! if any one reads this (possible lost at the end of this thread) and wants a simple permanent solution I will post pictures and give details.
Looking forward to the pictures!!:smile2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here are the photos of the popping noise fix. There are 4 roof ridges that protrude down from the inside of the roof, right above the Generals deluxe radio bar. These 4 ridges meet the large plastic visor here with a lot of compression force. When the machines roll cage twists going over bumps, there is enough pressure here to cause very loud snapping sounds. Mine was very frequent and extremely annoying.
So I popped the roof off (2 screws and some forward force) and applied stick-on weather stripping to the inside of the roof on these 4 ridges. Then covered with gorilla tape to protect the stripping, and then put the roof back on. Instantly no more popping/cracking noises!! Took a 40 mile ride to a local Glacier and problem solved.
A quicker fix might be stick on felt protectors, used for the bottoms of chair legs so they don't scratch the floor. Pry a space between the roof ridges and the visor piece and slide something like this in. Good Luck
Photos of the ride to Knik Glacier, near Palmer, Alaska

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the pics and solution. I will try this.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I really like the photos from knik Glaciar something May never get to see in life so makes them even better Thanks!

And If I ever start getting the poping sound will know what to do !

Reactions: Trapper

·
Read Only
1,001 Posts
Here are the photos of the popping noise fix. There are 4 roof ridges that protrude down from the inside of the roof, right above the Generals deluxe radio bar. These 4 ridges meet the large plastic visor here with a lot of compression force. When the machines roll cage twists going over bumps, there is enough pressure here to cause very loud snapping sounds. Mine was very frequent and extremely annoying.
So I popped the roof off (2 screws and some forward force) and applied stick-on weather stripping to the inside of the roof on these 4 ridges. Then covered with gorilla tape to protect the stripping, and then put the roof back on. Instantly no more popping/cracking noises!! Took a 40 mile ride to a local Glacier and problem solved.
A quicker fix might be stick on felt protectors, used for the bottoms of chair legs so they don't scratch the floor. Pry a space between the roof ridges and the visor piece and slide something like this in. Good Luck
Photos of the ride to Knik Glacier, near Palmer, Alaska
I havent had my General up to Knik yet hoping to next summer have not been there in a very long time!!!:grin2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts