Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! Look at all the new members. I’ve been with this awesome forum since 2017 and prior to this forum the following forums, RZR, Arctic Cat, Yamaha Rhino, Honda Quads and Jeep. I like this one the best, the moderator keeps it organized and clean and members are from all over the world and they provide real world stories and solutions.
Many noobies first posts to this forum are “Hi, I’ve got a new General, what should I do with it first?”. The forum members responses are “do this-do that” and those responses typically deal with performance issues.

I’m not going there with this post

My two pesos worth:

Off roading is fun but it is also very dangerous. Your first modification is YOU.

1. Never go alone (Paul Eddy did and he’s dead, look him up) (world class enduro rider and a friend)

2. Don’t drink and drive ( Liquid courage has killed and injured many good folks) if you can’t wait until the end of the day to have a cold one, seek help.

3. Always buckle up, doesn’t matter if you’ve got stock belts, four, five or six point harnesses, use them and make sure your passengers have them on. Pistol Pete Sorhen was killed by a drunk in a RZR with no belts on and broadsided Pete doing 60 plus and he became a missle into Pete’s head (Pete had a helmet on, the drunk dude didn’t) Pete and the drunk dude died instantly.

4. Be prepared for the crash, believe me the longer you off road, sooner or later you are going to have an incident. When we go out on rides I have a routine that I go over with my passengers.

A. In the event we start to roll over “grab your shoulder harnesses and hold them as tight as you can and DO NOT put your arms or hands out the window”

B. Show them the location of the Fire Extinguisher and how to deploy it, the location of First Aid Kit, the emergency water and food supplies, the SPOT emergency transponder and how to activate it, how to call to the other cars in our group using the on board radio and the location of the paper maps and handheld GPS are located.

5. This probably is the single most important thing I can impress upon you. Drive your vehicle to the best of YOUR abilities, not the vehicle ability’s or your friend’s abilities. Too many times I’ve seen noobies go out and try to run with big dogs and things end badly. There’s no shame in being last on a ride as you learn what your General can do and improve your off road driving skills. If your buddies won’t wait at the corner for you to catch up, get new buddies.

Noobie Posting Tips

With the diverse group of members on this forum you can get more refined answers to your questions if you provide the following information:
1. Where do you live? Is it hot, dry, cold, wet, snow. You’re going to find there may be someone close by who may want to get together with you and share an adventure or two.!
2. What do you like to ride? Be specific, example: “I like trails” what kind of trails? Rocky? Mountain? High desert? Sandy? Silt beds? Fire roads? Wet trails? Stream trails. Be specific and get great information!
3. State your typical speed you most often find yourself operating at. 20mph? 40mph?

By providing accurate information on these three items the forum members will be able to provide you the best information and help with your questions or problems

So Amigos in conclusion I hope this write up helps you in some way and enhances your off roading adventures. This year will be my 51st year of off roading and I’ll be breaking the 15,000 mile mark here in Baja.

So all you noobies welcome and remember the three “B’s”

Be Smart
Be Safe
Be Prepared

Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I see a bunch of newbies popping up so it’s time again to re-post this message
Please take a minute to read and have a great day
Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks Baja, Awesome advice....Mas en dos pesos

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great Advice and wisdom! This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum great! Thanks Charlie!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great post!
Although I’ve driven SxS’s for a few years (in the military and at work), I’m still new to this “for fun” hobby. After retiring from the Mil, I became a Charter Fishing Guide (in the La salt Marsh). I give a safety speech every night to incoming guests and then I hit the highlights the next morning as we leave the marina.
It’s good to hear these things. As the saying goes: “ from repetition comes habit.”

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lots of new members
Welcome Amigos and Amigas.
I did this post a while back, you might want to take a look. Have a great time off roading in your new General.

Be safe
Be smart
Be prepared

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
A little note. If you do go riding by yourself...meaning your machine and whoever else is along. Pay the $178 annual fee and carry a Find-Me-Spot device.

I've been carrying one since late 2008. There are three buttons. One for "we're OK" and goes to the e-mail you choose. One for "we're not OK" and goes to the e-mail you chose. The third is the 911 button that notifies the nearest 911 call center and notifies them you are in need of help and give them the coordinates of where you are. Its a satellite system so all you need is a view of the sky for the GPS to know where you are. I don't keep batteries in it. But I have in a small back with the device a set of new Li-Ion batteries. Haven't used it, hope I never have to...but I am prepared!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used Spot when my buddy and I did a 17 day Baja peninsula trip and we shared our whole trip with my family and friends using my email link to my Spot account. It was bad ass!!!! They tracked us the entire trip
Totally cool stuff
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Charlie, Hmmm I know my Find-me-Spot will send the we're OK message. Is that how they tracked your trip? Does pressing that option send the e-mail and your GPS location?

Thanks,
Pirate

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used SPOT and their software allowed me to provide tracking functionality using email. Understand that was in 2009 and that feature is still available. I still use it but I’ve not shared my tracking. Why? Because we’re old now and at best our rides are short rides and round trips are under 400 miles. We do have a few 600 milers but with this lockdown we’re working on them.
Bottom line: it’s cool stuff

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been using the Garmin InReach device for the past few years. It's very similar to the Spot device but the subscription plan can be done monthly or yearly. I have pre-set texts and addresses set up for the device. I can send a text ( or e-mail) from the device to my wife and she can open a link in the text that shows her a google map view of exactly where i'm at when I sent the text.
I always use it for hunting or any back country trips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts