Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I totally understand the seriousness of our current dilemma with this Corona stuff but we’re pretty much in lockdown here in Baja. Since the rain has finally stopped here and spring has sprung I’ve been chomping at the bit to go on a trip down the peninsula but I can’t because all my buddies are stuck in San Felipe at their winter homes, so I’ve got no one to go with. So I just go in the garage every day and pout, besides there are only so many times can I check the oil, fill the tires up and wash the Magic Bus. Man!!!!!!!!! I’m bored and the worst of it is I’ve completed my wife’s honey do list and we all know what that means................ a new list is coming!!!!!!!!!

So what are all my Amigos and Amigas doing to pass the time.
You all stay safe

Cheers
Baja Charlie

PS: I’ve already watched Tiger King on Netflix twice so check that off your list

·
Registered
369 Posts
Baja I feel your pain, I actually moved mine to my back garage and shut and locked the door as you stated you can only fart around with it so much then you have to get out the credit card and buy some additional accessories so your actually doing something. All trails around have been closed but there is a nice place that we ride at in Pennsylvania that is technically closed but the nice lady that runs the area said that if we wanted to trespass on her property that would be fine and please leave 20$ per machine in the mailbox. We really considered it but thought it might not be the best of ideas a convoy of trucks and trailers with SxS and ATV‘s heading from Ohio into PA so we decided against it......We will get through this together when we do.......get the heck out of the way cause I am going riding .....Be safe.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
This weekend, I said to heck with it......Packed up the kids and the wife and went riding around the country roads for about 50 miles. Of course, it's illegal, but I at this point, I didn't care what they said, we are getting out and go for a ride. Had a beautiful 70 degree day and we enjoyed the **** out of it. Just like you guys, the longer I look at it, the more $$$ I keep spending.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We are not on lockdown, just the distancing thing and I cannot think of more distance than climbing trails out in no where Arizona. So just been doing trails like Box Canyon, Montana Mountain, Bull Dog Canyon, etc.. Been a little more quiet as others stay indoors.

·
Registered
733 Posts
With Hatfield McCoy being shut down the wife and I decided to venture out to the local "outlaw" system at Sanderson. Big mistake.

We made sure to not have to stop anywhere from the time we left the house to the time we got back home. Truck was full, filled the G with cans I had filled at the house (I keep about 20 gallons of non-ethanol gas on hand) and we had all the snacks and drinks we needed. Got out to the parking area and it was a $#!^ show. People everywhere. And not paying one bit of attention to social distancing.

So we parked what at the time we arrived was way down the road from everyone else. Unloaded and took the road about 10 miles east to try and get away from everybody and ride over on that side of the system. Still ran into people but not as many. Most people were still in large groups not abiding by the SD rules at all. One pickup had like 8 kids in the back and 4 adults in the cab.

When we got back to the truck, we were no longer out there by ourselves. People were parked all up and down the road and even in the church lot, which anyone who rides Sanderson knows, is a BIG NO-NO. Loaded up and got out of there. As many people who were posting pics on SM from there, I half expect to see a police presence there next weekend.

Might try going to Bergoo this weekend. Not nearly as popular but I am a bit afraid people will try to come there as well. Not a good idea to go there by yourself if you have never been. So we will see. Or might go down and see Big John before they start dismantling it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just curious about something Herdfan how many of those people were from out of state I know the idea on shutting down H&M was to keep us infected Northerners out? I’ll be glad when this is all over so we can come down riding again.

·
Super Moderator
2,876 Posts
The wife has been cut to working 32 hours a week, and my salary is 25% less, so we're pretty tight money wise. Fortunately I have a 2003 Suburban that's been waiting on me to pull the engine and trans out of, so started on that this past weekend. Should have it out this Saturday, then wait on our money to get straight again, so I can go through it, before dropping it into my '96 regular cab dually.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m doomed!!!
The wife is walking around the casa and she is writing things down.
That can only mean one thing..................... a new honey do list.+=+*%}{<?€|,€•¥¥ugggggggh!!
A bit off the post subject
Has anyone put the Polaris front rack on and stuck a 4 gallon Rotopax on it???? If so how’d your rig handle??
Opps!!!!
Time to go, it’s time for Jeopardy with wifey, oh how the mighty has fallen
Man I’m bored!!!!!!!!
BC

·
Registered
369 Posts
The wife has been cut to working 32 hours a week, and my salary is 25% less, so we're pretty tight money wise. Fortunately I have a 2003 Suburban that's been waiting on me to pull the engine and trans out of, so started on that this past weekend. Should have it out this Saturday, then wait on our money to get straight again, so I can go through it, before dropping it into my '96 regular cab dually.
if you really want to get crazy put the Suburban body on the dually frame you would have a one of a kind dually Suburban, now that I said that and think about it seems like it would be pretty darn cool.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
When I came in from the shop yesterday I told my wife I was going to have to buy another machine so I would have some more projects to work on. After I got cleaned up and sat down she said “why don’t you just go through one of your catalogs and buy some more of the accessories you’ve been talking about “. God I love that woman!!

·
Super Moderator
2,876 Posts
if you really want to get crazy put the Suburban body on the dually frame you would have a one of a kind dually Suburban, now that I said that and think about it seems like it would be pretty darn cool.
Haha, that would be crazy. I've always had a thing for duallies, and it took me forever to find my current regular cab long bed, they just don't show up very often. Can't wait to get that LS engine in it, but it will be a while, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Oh bored, gimme a break! I'm done with Mama's Living Room remodel! So now I can begin rebuilding the General after Novembers fall over in Moab.
Talk about frustrating first steps... I have on the machine the Polaris Sound System, Windshield/Wiper kit, Mirror/Camera, Premium Roof and Liner. Now, try to get those in the correct order
of installation. DUH...reread all the instruction sheets...and there are four screws up a the inside corners of the cage...than go through every one of them except the Wiper/Washer power cable.
I've had the Sound system out twice. The new roof off four times, trying to follow instructions and get everything positioned so I can put the danged screws it. Oh yeah, and I put the roof on the second time and had forgotten to put the screws that go through the Visor and into the top of the Sound System. Then I find for the Polaris Mirror/Camera there are two cables from the camera. One to the front camera and one to the rear camera. The front camera cable, from the dealer, there is about 10 feet of cable just shoved in there to get it out of the way. For the rear camera the 10 ft of cable was stashed between the roof and liner...looked real nice. Now the front cable is carefully wrapped around the ROPS front cross tube. The rear cable...no idea what the connector is. So I've cut the cable and put in a four wire plug. So it can be disconnected and removed if needed.

No progress on new front fender and hood. No progress on rear fender inserts, no progress on XP Fender Flares, no progress on low profile rock sliders...that may interfere with the XP flares.
Adding a Radio to the Rugged Radio intercom system. Moving both to between seats and extending back into the engine compartment.

So, I've got plenty to do...just can't make any progress!
Read that Rally on the Rocks has been moved back to mid-September. ROTR crew says it very nice in Moab in September. Who they trying to fool? Its still about 115 degrees out on the slick
rock in September and most of October! Back in 2012 I attended the Easter Jeep Safari with an old riding partner from the biking years. Federal law says you MUST stop at Woody's Tavern for a cold beer after coming off the trail. OK, did that. Owners daughter was tending bar. Asked her when was a good time to come back in the Fall when it cools off. Her comment "the first week of November!" Yup been back the first week of November twice. Start with a denim shirt then down to a T-shirt by 10AM. Still about 90 degrees out on the slick rock!
I think I'll go in May if things have opened up!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im still working, but im preparing for when spring layoff comes. Have a full service kit, 2 way bearing for primary, (4) fox qs3s, ice crusher heater, (2) light bars, manual wiper and a set of vendetta sliders all slowly trickling in through the mail.
I plan on staying plenty busy for a bit?. Of all the add ons im sure the light bar wiring will kick my ass the most but im sure there's plenty of resources on here to ease the pain of that install!!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
LongSlyde has some great wiring videos on youtube.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Same here. Got a few things to put on the G but it has rained the past 2 days. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wife now working from home 90% of the time.

My work has cancelled all training and since all I do is conduct trainings it’s been tough. Going in most mornings and training some dogs then at home reading work related material, reviewing and writing lesson plans. Yawn...

Trying to keep up on my shooting and will end up probably detailing the heck out of vehicles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh bored, gimme a break! I'm done with Mama's Living Room remodel! So now I can begin rebuilding the General after Novembers fall over in Moab.
Talk about frustrating first steps... I have on the machine the Polaris Sound System, Windshield/Wiper kit, Mirror/Camera, Premium Roof and Liner. Now, try to get those in the correct order
of installation. DUH...reread all the instruction sheets...and there are four screws up a the inside corners of the cage...than go through every one of them except the Wiper/Washer power cable.
I've had the Sound system out twice. The new roof off four times, trying to follow instructions and get everything positioned so I can put the danged screws it. Oh yeah, and I put the roof on the second time and had forgotten to put the screws that go through the Visor and into the top of the Sound System. Then I find for the Polaris Mirror/Camera there are two cables from the camera. One to the front camera and one to the rear camera. The front camera cable, from the dealer, there is about 10 feet of cable just shoved in there to get it out of the way. For the rear camera the 10 ft of cable was stashed between the roof and liner...looked real nice. Now the front cable is carefully wrapped around the ROPS front cross tube. The rear cable...no idea what the connector is. So I've cut the cable and put in a four wire plug. So it can be disconnected and removed if needed.

No progress on new front fender and hood. No progress on rear fender inserts, no progress on XP Fender Flares, no progress on low profile rock sliders...that may interfere with the XP flares.
Adding a Radio to the Rugged Radio intercom system. Moving both to between seats and extending back into the engine compartment.

So, I've got plenty to do...just can't make any progress!
Read that Rally on the Rocks has been moved back to mid-September. ROTR crew says it very nice in Moab in September. Who they trying to fool? Its still about 115 degrees out on the slick
rock in September and most of October! Back in 2012 I attended the Easter Jeep Safari with an old riding partner from the biking years. Federal law says you MUST stop at Woody's Tavern for a cold beer after coming off the trail. OK, did that. Owners daughter was tending bar. Asked her when was a good time to come back in the Fall when it cools off. Her comment "the first week of November!" Yup been back the first week of November twice. Start with a denim shirt then down to a T-shirt by 10AM. Still about 90 degrees out on the slick rock!
I think I'll go in May if things have opened up!!!

Pirate
hey pirate, i assume you did a post on your mishap in Moab, and i missed it. since i am bored, can you post a link?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
hey pirate, i assume you did a post on your mishap in Moab, and i missed it. since i am bored, can you post a link?
No, I haven't done one yet. Been too busy with the other project...and now working through the General reassembly.

But I have taken lots of pics and have probably a half dozen posts to prepare....

After three weeks now...of this everything closed and now the Governor's Shelter-in-Place order...boy am I getting cranky!!
But that I think, is mostly the difficulty of putting the cab back together...late yesterday I finally, I think, have the roof back on
to stay. Learned a lot tho...

Hang in there...we'll all be out riding in....ummm...June?
Pirate

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No package deliveries here except for medicine so I can’t order anything for the Magic Bus and I can’t think of anything it needs right now. It fully prepped for a 600 miler down coast when they free us here.
I do have a new project vehicle, I sold the Jeep Rubicon and bought a 2006 Lexus GX470. A perfect platform to build a Baja Overlander because it essentially is a Land Cruiser with a Lexus body and interior. I need to get started on the build but I got to find a way to disguise (5) Goodyear Duratracs as medicine.
So me and Lola are sitting in the garage peering out at the stranded ships in the bay.
Man!!!!! I’m bored

·
Registered
562 Posts
They just put the whamy on all outdoor activities to include offroad vehicles by yourself in the desert, thanks to some kids congregating at red sands rec area not observing the social distancing rules. My job at the refinery is still essential and we went to seven on seven off. My next set of seven off is going to be soooo boring.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts