Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wondering how you would go about making the UTV street legal and what do you need to add to make the Polaris General street legal?

·
1,560 Posts
There is an outfit that makes a complete kit. Just search Street league UTV. The only challenge is State law. Can't do it in Ak because it is titled off road only. It is legal in some states.
I would love to drive mine daily.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is an outfit that makes a complete kit. Just search Street league UTV. The only challenge is State law. Can't do it in Ak because it is titled off road only. It is legal in some states.
I would love to drive mine daily.
Correct. It has a lot to do with state/provincial law. You can add a horn, signal lights, cab, etc....but at the end of the day it will depend on what the law considers street legal.

A friend of mine was able to get his Ranger street legal as a utility tractor. He uses it for sidewalk snow clearing and has to be licensed and insured. He had to have the NVIS form filled out by the dealer as a utility vehicle - not an off road recreational vehicle. He's still only allowed so many Kms of travel though.

NS laws are so strict that the Slingshot is not permitted to be sold by any local dealers.

There's a few threads on rzrforums.net that discusses this topic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Just checked my province's regulation and UTVs are allowed on the shoulder of public roads. Don't see anything about turn signals and such.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hope Polaris will start to sell the General here in Europe soon. So they will have to have a kit ready for us over here. Will post pictures and details as SxS roll into dealerships.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Since not a lot have completed their profile so we all know where you live.

I'm from Colorado...we can't license our machines...yet. But I license my RZR and soon my General in Arizona. Then...

I can drive on any road except the Interstates in Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota

In some of those states there is no reciprocity with Colorado, so I have to purchase their OHV sticker. No big deal the money goes to trail support.

Pirate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Licensed my rzr in MI there was a loophole you could register as a roadster was great legal in all 50 states got pulled over all the time,lots of things had to be done,dot wheels,dot wind sheild,emergency brake,turn signals.inspected by police department then down to dot for license plates along with MI no fault insurance from progressive,that was 2 years ago since then they have changed law,no longer can be done there.had planned on doing it with general.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Arkansas is still Pro UTV especially in rural areas

Licensed my rzr in MI there was a loophole you could register as a roadster was great legal in all 50 states got pulled over all the time,lots of things had to be done,dot wheels,dot wind sheild,emergency brake,turn signals.inspected by police department then down to dot for license plates along with MI no fault insurance from progressive,that was 2 years ago since then they have changed law,no longer can be done there.had planned on doing it with general.
Sorry about your anti UTV state.:frown2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since not a lot have completed their profile so we all know where you live.

I'm from Colorado...we can't license our machines...yet. But I license my RZR and soon my General in Arizona. Then...

I can drive on any road except the Interstates in Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota

In some of those states there is no reciprocity with Colorado, so I have to purchase their OHV sticker. No big deal the money goes to trail support.

Pirate
You can't ride on Federal, or State Highways in Idaho Except within an area where the Highway goes through a town and the speed limit is under 45 MPH and some towns have passed local ordinances against using UTVs and ATVs

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
In Michigan they changed the law you can not get a license plate for any kind of ORV unless it was manufactured for the purpose of using on the road. This includes full size dune buggies.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Anybody in Michigan have their rzr street legal, classified as an assembled pick up and if so who did you get to insure it
I see them all the time but I bet you will never see a General street legal. They passed the law in 2015 and it became effective January 1st no more street legal ATV, ORV, SxS anything that does not have a street title.
Tallcotton if you know something different will you please send me the info or post how to get around the law.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Corbin Custom Works makes plug-&-play turn signal and horn kits...and they're a site sponsor!

·
Registered
375 Posts
FYI: Law in Missouri.

I have looked into this and Missouri Law is sorta vague and contradictory

Section 304.029 summarized states that a "low speed vehicle" can be operated on the state roads without license with a few provisos. The big hiccup is that Low Speed Vehicle is defined by 49 CFR 573.1 as one whose speed attainable in 1.6 km (1 mile) is more than 32 kilometers per hour (20 miles per hour) and not more than 40 kilometers per hour (25 miles per hour) on a paved level surface. That leaves out the General for sure. Not sure what vehicle would meet these regs.

Here's where the law gets fuzzy:

section 304.032 explicitly states that "No person shall operate a utility vehicle, as defined in section 304.010, upon the highways of this state..."

304.010 defines utility vehicle as "any motorized vehicle manufactured and used exclusively for off-highway use which is more than fifty inches but no more than sixty-seven inches in width, with an unladen dry weight of two thousand pounds or less, traveling on four or six wheels, to be used primarily for landscaping, lawn care, or maintenance purposes"

Now, it is clear that my General will not be (and was not designed) primarily for landscaping, lawn care, or maintenance purposes. So it does not meet the LEGAL definition of a utility vehicle. That means 304.032 does not apply.

However, 304.010 defines Recreational Off-highway Vehicle as: "Recreational off-highway vehicle", any motorized vehicle manufactured and used exclusively for off-highway use which is more than fifty inches but no more than sixty-seven inches in width, with an unladen dry weight of two thousand pounds or less, traveling on four or more nonhighway tires and which may have access to ATV trails. That sure sounds like the General, don't it?

304.033 ALLOWS on road use of Recreational Off-Highway vehicles within three miles of the operator's primary residence.

Now to finally stir the pot...

Missouri Slow Moving Vehicle Law 307.127 pretty much means slap a SMV triangle on it and you are good to go during daylight hours.

Now with all this confusion, I'll say this. I probably put a hundred of so miles on my Odes on-road while I owned it. I did have the SMV triangle on it, and I was passed by cops quite a few times without so much as a glance. Even the Jefferson County deputy who was directing traffic at the school by my house didn't even pause. In fact, the only time any officer showed even an iota of interest was at the local gas station where he approached me. I thought he was gonna give me crap, but all we wanted was some info on the Odes, because his dad was thinking about buying one.

I tried to stay on the 35MPH or less roads, but not always. I did pass a deputy on 55mph Hiway 21 with no issues. I have ventured farther than the 3 miles, but really... how do the cops no where you live unless you get pulled over. I think that if a Roger Ramjet type cop really wanted to ruin your day, he could find a reason to ticket you, but if you stay in the speed limit, use your seatbelts, and not be a complete wanker about the whole thing, most cops won't give you any crap. Now... Come out of the local Dairy Queen full-lock sideways like Sammy Swindell coming out of turn 4... Then all bets are off.

Motor safely, Kids!

Tim

Reactions: Trapper

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Arizona is very ATV/UTV friendly. People drive their UTV's pretty much everywhere and all you need is a lit license plate, horn device and a mirror.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts