Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what’s the best transmission fluid to use? I know what Polaris recommends, but I have heard from several that 75-90 gear oil is best. Any thoughts on this? Polaris fluid does seem to be thin.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just like with every vehicle, everyone has their opinion on oil. In the Harley forums it became a taboo to start "another oil thread". People get pretty heated about their oils....

I've always been a strong believer that gears need gear oil. However, with production tolerances getting tighter, different metals being used, etc I just stick with what the manufacturer recommends. Well, except in my Harley, I run gear oil in the transmission on both of them. There's nothing special about a Harley trans.

·
PolarisGeneralForum.com Vendor
543 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and our Gear Butter Additive

You can use the gear butter in front diff but it uses hydraulic oil not gear oil.

Todd

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I ran Valvoline 75W-90 semi synthetic in my RZR 800 transmission. 8000 miles and using an infrared temp reader...I was always 10 degrees cooler than a friend that stayed with the Polaris lube.

I bought the 5yr Polaris extended warranty and probably will stay with factory lube and engine oil until it ends.

Pirate

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Todd,

As little lubricant as the Hilliard diff uses. Should one use it?

Thanks,

Pirate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts