Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual indicates you should use LOW gear when traveling below 7 mph. So I this means HIGH for speeds above 7? Did any of your dealers give any guidance on this.

·
1,560 Posts
In high range below 7 you wouldn't have the engine rpm to allow the clutches to grab the belt efficiently. Putting it in a lower gear allows the engine rpm to rise to meet the needs of the clutches. Premature belt wear avoided.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
It's just like a RZR, you'll figure out what is best just by getting out and driving.

And recall, its not a gear, its a "range" controlled within the CVT and RPM.

Just sayin'

Pirate

·
1,560 Posts
Absolutely right Pirate. Low and high is a range.

·
Registered
94 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, when you say it isn't high gear or low gear, yet when you pull on the shifter it moves the trans into a different set of "gears" and does nothing to the cvt so there for wouldn't it be low gear and high gear

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is everyone finding out about when to use LOW and when to use HIGH. 7mph or something different. To me, it felt like HIGH for everything except extremely low speeds, crawling, or pulling, but then again, I don't have many miles on it yet.

·
1,560 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, when you say it isn't high gear or low gear, yet when you pull on the shifter it moves the trans into a different set of "gears" and does nothing to the cvt so there for wouldn't it be low gear and high gear
To be correct would be to say high or low range because one is not shifting the transmission which in this case is the CVT. Even though I know this I still find it easier to tell someone to shift the transmission
in to low or high than to explain the mechanics of how Polaris gets the engine power to the wheels. You are correct. I get the willies when someone calls a pistol magazine a clip. It's like dragging your fingers down a chalkboard. :smile2:

·
Registered
103 Posts
The General will run somewhere around 35-40 mph in low.

The average speed on my rigs is between 6 and 8 mph so I don't use high all that much on the trails and my guess is that most of your trailing in WV could be done in low easily. If you find your average speed to work out slow like mine then you definitely need to use low most of the time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
so there is no transmission you are shifting?? the cvt is between motor and trans then trans to diffs in the generals case as newer rzr's the rear diff is built into the trans but you are still shifting the trans into high and low the cvt doesnt affect final ration it has shift out points with weights and springs and what not but the gears in the trans is what affects gear ratio, kinda like how you can take the rzr 570 gears and put them in a 1k trans to get a gear reduction

·
Registered
153 Posts
Long story short, always use low unless you need high. I spend 90% of the time in low in my Ranger. Anything below 25mph use low. If you want to burn up belts, high will certainly do it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Long story short, always use low unless you need high. I spend 90% of the time in low in my Ranger. Anything below 25mph use low. If you want to burn up belts, high will certainly do it.
Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself:smile2: Biggest killer of belts is heat and dumb azz people! When in low the clutches are spinning faster therefor drawing in more air to cool them. Yes the car will do it in high range but that creates excessive heat and BAM! blown or smoked belt! It's not PoPo's fault it's yers:surprise: Even in low ya gotta know the machines limits. It's not a small block Chevy or 6.7 Cummins, it's a 1500# 100hp toy. Be smart my friends and drink lots-o-Coors Light:laugh:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
With that being said I always thought you needed to pick what gear you wanted to ride in, and if you needed high or low you needed to stop before shifting. If I start in low and I get to 25mph can I shift to high without stopping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts